UserMerge extension on Wikimedia sites

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

UserMerge extension on Wikimedia sites

Amir E. Aharoni
Hi,

Is the UserMerge extension actually used on Wikimedia sites?

As far as I can see, it is only installed on Wikivoyage, and the last log
entries of its usage are from 2015. However, it's possible that I'm missing
something.

The reason I'm asking is that I'd love to know how to configure it best in
translatewiki. If it's not actually used on Wikimedia sites or developed
significantly, then it should be filed under "Legacy".

Thanks! :)

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: UserMerge extension on Wikimedia sites

Thiemo Kreuz
> Is the UserMerge extension actually used on Wikimedia sites?

I don't know if people *use* it, but according to
https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Extension:UserMerge it is installed on
more than a thousand wikis, including all Wikimedia wikis.

Best
Thiemo

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
MA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: UserMerge extension on Wikimedia sites

MA
In reply to this post by Amir E. Aharoni
Hello,

UserMerge as it is right now is unusable for Wikimedia sites, and thus no
user (bureaucrats, etc.) is allowed to use it. The extension is now up for
a Code Stewarship Review to decide what to do with it <
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T204747>, and I am proposing to undeploy
the extension from WMF sites given those issues. That said, the extension
might work for translatewiki where there are no CentralAuth, FlaggedRevs
and many other features which tend to be problematic with UserMerge, as far
as I was told.

Regards, M.

El El mar, 22 ene 2019 a las 8:46, Amir E. Aharoni <
[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi,
>
> Is the UserMerge extension actually used on Wikimedia sites?
>
> As far as I can see, it is only installed on Wikivoyage, and the last log
> entries of its usage are from 2015. However, it's possible that I'm missing
> something.
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I'd love to know how to configure it best in
> translatewiki. If it's not actually used on Wikimedia sites or developed
> significantly, then it should be filed under "Legacy".
>
> Thanks! :)
>
> --
> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

--
M. A.
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: UserMerge extension on Wikimedia sites

Vi to
In reply to this post by Amir E. Aharoni
AFAIR it was at very risk of breaking the Internet, so it went into a limbo
of being installed but never used.

Vito

Il giorno mar 22 gen 2019 alle ore 08:46 Amir E. Aharoni <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> Is the UserMerge extension actually used on Wikimedia sites?
>
> As far as I can see, it is only installed on Wikivoyage, and the last log
> entries of its usage are from 2015. However, it's possible that I'm missing
> something.
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I'd love to know how to configure it best in
> translatewiki. If it's not actually used on Wikimedia sites or developed
> significantly, then it should be filed under "Legacy".
>
> Thanks! :)
>
> --
> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: UserMerge extension on Wikimedia sites

Amir E. Aharoni
In reply to this post by Thiemo Kreuz
Yes, it's installed, but it doesn't seem to be actually used. The English
Wikivoyage has a bunch of log entries of its usage, the last in 2015. Other
Wikimedia sites have very few entries, or none at all.

My guess, and please do correct me if I'm wrong, is that it was used on
Wikitravel or Wikivoyage, and that it is still installed for backwards
compatibility so as not to break the logs or the global user accounts data,
but it is not completely compatible with other Wikimedia sites, so it can't
be used either.

If my assessment is correct, then it should be marked as "Legacy" on
translatewiki. This doesn't mean it will be removed; it will remain
available for translation. It just means that translators who want to focus
on completing the translation of extensions that are used on Wikimedia
sites will know that it's not used much, and it's not a high priority to
translate it, and will translate something more important first.

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬


‫בתאריך יום ג׳, 22 בינו׳ 2019 ב-10:15 מאת ‪Thiemo Kreuz‬‏ <‪
[hidden email]‬‏>:‬

> > Is the UserMerge extension actually used on Wikimedia sites?
>
> I don't know if people *use* it, but according to
> https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Extension:UserMerge it is installed on
> more than a thousand wikis, including all Wikimedia wikis.
>
> Best
> Thiemo
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: UserMerge extension on Wikimedia sites

Kunal Mehta
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Hi,

On 1/22/19 12:24 AM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:

> Yes, it's installed, but it doesn't seem to be actually used. The
> English Wikivoyage has a bunch of log entries of its usage, the
> last in 2015. Other Wikimedia sites have very few entries, or none
> at all.
>
> My guess, and please do correct me if I'm wrong, is that it was
> used on Wikitravel or Wikivoyage, and that it is still installed
> for backwards compatibility so as not to break the logs or the
> global user accounts data, but it is not completely compatible with
> other Wikimedia sites, so it can't be used either.

It was used right after Wikivoyage joined Wikimedia to reconcile their
accounts with SUL. It was mostly luck that nothing bad happened, as
well as the fact Wikivoyage was pretty small (relatively speaking) so
it didn't run into the performance problems that exist. There was an
attempt during/after SUL finalization to create a global user merge
tool, but it never worked out in reality.

> If my assessment is correct, then it should be marked as "Legacy"
> on translatewiki. This doesn't mean it will be removed; it will
> remain available for translation. It just means that translators
> who want to focus on completing the translation of extensions that
> are used on Wikimedia sites will know that it's not used much, and
> it's not a high priority to translate it, and will translate
> something more important first.

This seems appropriate, though as Marco mentioned, we should probably
just undeploy it from Wikimedia now (figuring out something about log
entries).

- -- Legoktm
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
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=D376
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l