Usernames with "_" allowed?

J.D.-4
Hi,

we dont give up with the new wiki. Just a question.
We have usernames like "ab_cde".If one of us willlogin we see a failure
"bla ...the username "ab cde" dont exists".
Will wiki delete the "_" ? We need the "_" and in Wiki 1.4.7.ist works.

Thanks

Re: Usernames with "_" allowed?

Rob Church
On 05/05/06, J.D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we dont give up with the new wiki. Just a question.
> We have usernames like "ab_cde".If one of us willlogin we see a failure
> "bla ...the username "ab cde" dont exists".
> Will wiki delete the "_" ? We need the "_" and in Wiki 1.4.7.ist works.

MediaWiki converts underscores in usernames into spaces in the same
manner as it does titles. Existing usernames which contain underscores
won't work in release versions of the product.

When logging in, the underscore is converted to a space, while I
suspect the usernames in the databases contain the underscores intact.
If this is the case, then it is possible to convert existing usernames
using the following SQL:

UPDATE user SET user_name = REPLACE( user_name, "_", " " );

This will convert the names in the user table. You should back up the
wiki database as a precaution when doing this, since I'm not 100% this
won't break other things; it's possible that other conversions will be
needed in the revision, archive, recentchanges, image and oldimage
tables.

Rob Church

Re: Usernames with "_" allowed?

J.D.-4
Hi,

thanks for advise.

Wee need "_" in the Usernames as we have a external authentication
mechanism, that means that wiki have to request users like "ab_cde" and
not as "ab cde" because with "ab cde" the wont authenticate. There must be
a form oder an check for this "-" sign. Does anyone know where it is?

Regards