Users permission to edit pages

Tomás Dias Almeida
I installed mediawiki 1.5.6 and 1.4.14. In the both wikis I had the
same problem:
When a logged member edit and save a page, He gets the following error
message,  "Note: Remember that this is only a preview, and has not yet
been saved!". But a anonymous users can edit and save the pages
normally.

Thanks

Tomás Almeida

Re: Users permission to edit pages

Brion Vibber
Tomás Dias Almeida wrote:
> I installed mediawiki 1.5.6 and 1.4.14. In the both wikis I had the
> same problem:
> When a logged member edit and save a page, He gets the following error
> message,  "Note: Remember that this is only a preview, and has not yet
> been saved!". But a anonymous users can edit and save the pages
> normally.

PHP's session storage is broken. Probably one of the following is true:

1) You are running on a Windows server, and php.ini has the default setting of
"/tmp" for the session storage path, a directory which does not usually exist on
Windows.

2) You are running on SourceForge.net's server farm or a similar setup where
php.ini has the default setting of "/tmp" fo rthe session storage path, a local
directory which is different for each server that a user hits.

Fix php.ini or see the FAQ entries on SourceForge.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Users permission to edit pages

Rick DeNatale

> Tomás Dias Almeida wrote:
> > I installed mediawiki 1.5.6 and 1.4.14. In the both wikis I had the
> > same problem:
> > When a logged member edit and save a page, He gets the following error
> > message,  "Note: Remember that this is only a preview, and has not yet
> > been saved!". But a anonymous users can edit and save the pages
> > normally.
>
> PHP's session storage is broken. Probably one of the following is true:
>
> 1) You are running on a Windows server, and php.ini has the default setting of
> "/tmp" for the session storage path, a directory which does not usually exist on
> Windows.
>
> 2) You are running on SourceForge.net's server farm or a similar setup where
> php.ini has the default setting of "/tmp" fo rthe session storage path, a local
> directory which is different for each server that a user hits.

Interestingly, I just had a similar problem. My long-running wiki
suddenly stopped letting me save changes as a logged in user.

This was on a debian (actually Ubuntu) system.  After a little bit of
poking around, I determined that the php session save path was
/var/lib/php4 and that this directory didn't seem to exist.  I looked
at my backups and found out that it disappeard during the week when I
had upgraded the server from Ubuntu 5.04 to 5.10.

I recreated the directory and everything started working again.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

Re: Users permission to edit pages

Bugzilla from rowan.collins@gmail.com
On 26/01/06, Rick DeNatale <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This was on a debian (actually Ubuntu) system.  After a little bit of
> poking around, I determined that the php session save path was
> /var/lib/php4 and that this directory didn't seem to exist.  I looked
> at my backups and found out that it disappeard during the week when I
> had upgraded the server from Ubuntu 5.04 to 5.10.

It might be worth filing a bug report with Ubuntu for that, if you can
be bothered: clearly the packaging was broken if the PHP config
referred to a path that wasn't going to exist. Unless you'd changed
the php settings and said no to overwriting with an updated
maintainer's version?

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]

On 1/26/06, Rowan Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/01/06, Rick DeNatale <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This was on a debian (actually Ubuntu) system.  After a little bit of
> > poking around, I determined that the php session save path was
> > /var/lib/php4 and that this directory didn't seem to exist.  I looked
> > at my backups and found out that it disappeard during the week when I
> > had upgraded the server from Ubuntu 5.04 to 5.10.
>
> It might be worth filing a bug report with Ubuntu for that, if you can
> be bothered: clearly the packaging was broken if the PHP config
> referred to a path that wasn't going to exist. Unless you'd changed
> the php settings and said no to overwriting with an updated
> maintainer's version?

I brought it up on the ubuntu forums.  I figured I'd first inquire
whether anyone else had seen it.

Actually, I suspect that it was caused by a glitch in my upgrade and
therefore not reproducible. I had a conflict on the system which
caused the apt-get --distupgrade to stop before all of the packages
were updated, and had to re-issue the command.

It wouldn't have been a case of not overwriting an updated config
file, since it's not under /etc and therefore by debian rules NOT a
config file. In any event php wasn't one of the config files which
changed.

I probably will create a bug report though.

Now what I'd really love is for someone with the knowledge to
debianize mediawiki and get Ubuntu to take it up as supported
software!

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

Re: Users permission to edit pages

Bugzilla from rowan.collins@gmail.com
On 26/01/06, Rick DeNatale <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now what I'd really love is for someone with the knowledge to
> debianize mediawiki and get Ubuntu to take it up as supported
> software!

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/mediawiki
http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/web/mediawiki
:D
Now to get it Ubuntu *supported*...

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]

Re: Users permission to edit pages

Rick DeNatale
On 1/26/06, Rowan Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/mediawiki
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/web/mediawiki

Kewl!

It's still 1.4 I see. Any plans to package 1.5?

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

Re: Users permission to edit pages

Bugzilla from rowan.collins@gmail.com
On 26/01/06, Rick DeNatale <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's still 1.4 I see. Any plans to package 1.5?

Don't look at me, look at... erm...
http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mediawiki.html

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]

Re: Users permission to edit pages

Tomás Dias Almeida
My server is running OpenBSD 3.8 and apache 1.3, I saw the php.ini and
did some tests, I tested:

session.save_path = /var/www/htdocs/tmp/
session.save_path = /tmp/

but in the both cases, the problem continues.

Any idea???

Thanks!

Tomás

> Tomás Dias Almeida wrote:
> > I installed mediawiki 1.5.6 and 1.4.14. In the both wikis I had the
> > same problem:
> > When a logged member edit and save a page, He gets the following error
> > message,  "Note: Remember that this is only a preview, and has not yet
> > been saved!". But a anonymous users can edit and save the pages
> > normally.
>
> PHP's session storage is broken. Probably one of the following is true:
>
> 1) You are running on a Windows server, and php.ini has the default setting of
> "/tmp" for the session storage path, a directory which does not usually exist on
> Windows.
>
> 2) You are running on SourceForge.net's server farm or a similar setup where
> php.ini has the default setting of "/tmp" fo rthe session storage path, a local
> directory which is different for each server that a user hits.
>
> Fix php.ini or see the FAQ entries on SourceForge.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Tomás Dias Almeida
Eng. de Compt.
UNICAMP 2003

Re: Users permission to edit pages

Phil Boswell
"Rowan Collins" <[hidden email]>
wrote in message news:[hidden email]...
> On 26/01/06, Rick DeNatale
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It's still 1.4 I see. Any plans to package 1.5?

> Don't look at me, look at... erm...
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mediawiki.html

That page has an email address for the "Mediawiki Maintenance Team":
shouldn't someone drop them a line and let them know they're...how many
versions behind now?
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]

Re: Re: Users permission to edit pages

On 27/01/06, Phil Boswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That page has an email address for the "Mediawiki Maintenance Team":
> shouldn't someone drop them a line and let them know they're...how many
> versions behind now?

Well, they at least seem to be tracking the latest 1.4 releases:
1.4.14 just got accepted into 'testing'. I'm sure people would be
pleased to have up-to-date features, as well as security, though; ah,
see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=336241

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]

Re: Users permission to edit pages

Graeme Worthy
Just a note on Ubuntu and the Forums thereof:
  The forums and the Mailinglist are very different creatures indeed,
and are populated by different segments of the Ubuntu user/
developerbase.
  The forums are mostly user-on-user discussions, which are barely
touched by the developers.
  So, if you're looking for explanations or to file bugs in Ubuntu,
the forums are hardly the place for it.