Using a Wiki for multiple projects? HELP!

Using a Wiki for multiple projects? HELP!

Peter-156
the wiki I'm running I use as a space for coworkers to collaborate on
various projects. There are three significant projects right now, with the
possibility of several more later. While we don't have all that many pages
in there yet (a couple hundred I believe), the more pages we add the more
difficult it's becoming to keep content separate yet organized.

Currently we're prefixing the various project page names with a designator,
which works fine. But if we do prefix, then the categories page lists all
the pages by their prefix, rather than the main page name.. I tried a test
to see if separating content out into it's own namespace would help, but it
*still* lists the page under the namespace prefix. Needless to say this can
be extremely frustrating if you've got several hundred items with a given
prefix/namespace, and they all list under "O". Also, when I place items into
their own namespace they are available on the Recent Changes list, but not
the New Pages list!

Anyway, sorry about being ranty. I guess what I'm looking for are either
ways to fix the prefixing/namespacing so things list correctly, or alternate
ways to organize content so a) projects don't step on eachother, and things
are categorized correctly as an alternative browsing method.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Peter.

Re: Using a Wiki for multiple projects? HELP!

Kasimir Gabert
Hello Peter,

You should look into DynamicPageList2, which will give you tons of
great control over displaying lists.  For your current case, you could
just turn off the displaying of the namespace but list all of the
items from it (you would not even need a category then).

I hope this helps,
Kasimir Gabert

On 8/3/06, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the wiki I'm running I use as a space for coworkers to collaborate on
> various projects. There are three significant projects right now, with the
> possibility of several more later. While we don't have all that many pages
> in there yet (a couple hundred I believe), the more pages we add the more
> difficult it's becoming to keep content separate yet organized.
>
> Currently we're prefixing the various project page names with a designator,
> which works fine. But if we do prefix, then the categories page lists all
> the pages by their prefix, rather than the main page name.. I tried a test
> to see if separating content out into it's own namespace would help, but it
> *still* lists the page under the namespace prefix. Needless to say this can
> be extremely frustrating if you've got several hundred items with a given
> prefix/namespace, and they all list under "O". Also, when I place items into
> their own namespace they are available on the Recent Changes list, but not
> the New Pages list!
>
> Anyway, sorry about being ranty. I guess what I'm looking for are either
> ways to fix the prefixing/namespacing so things list correctly, or alternate
> ways to organize content so a) projects don't step on eachother, and things
> are categorized correctly as an alternative browsing method.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter.

Re: Using a Wiki for multiple projects? HELP!

Hans Voss
We adhere to rigid standards with categorizing all the pages. This
makes it possible for our projects (currently 2 "and a half") to
coexist in the same wiki without bothering each other when not wanted.
They only share the Main Page, which is where most people start and
where I link to the different projects.

On 8/3/06, Kasimir Gabert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Peter,
>
> You should look into DynamicPageList2, which will give you tons of
> great control over displaying lists.  For your current case, you could
> just turn off the displaying of the namespace but list all of the
> items from it (you would not even need a category then).
>
> I hope this helps,
> Kasimir Gabert
>
> On 8/3/06, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > the wiki I'm running I use as a space for coworkers to collaborate on
> > various projects. There are three significant projects right now, with the
> > possibility of several more later. While we don't have all that many pages
> > in there yet (a couple hundred I believe), the more pages we add the more
> > difficult it's becoming to keep content separate yet organized.
> >
> > Currently we're prefixing the various project page names with a designator,
> > which works fine. But if we do prefix, then the categories page lists all
> > the pages by their prefix, rather than the main page name.. I tried a test
> > to see if separating content out into it's own namespace would help, but it
> > *still* lists the page under the namespace prefix. Needless to say this can
> > be extremely frustrating if you've got several hundred items with a given
> > prefix/namespace, and they all list under "O". Also, when I place items into
> > their own namespace they are available on the Recent Changes list, but not
> > the New Pages list!
> >
> > Anyway, sorry about being ranty. I guess what I'm looking for are either
> > ways to fix the prefixing/namespacing so things list correctly, or alternate
> > ways to organize content so a) projects don't step on eachother, and things
> > are categorized correctly as an alternative browsing method.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter.

----
Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards
Hans Voss

Re: Using a Wiki for multiple projects? HELP!

Hans Voss
Addendum:

I find that when I have such sort of problem I only have to poke
around in the wikipedia for a while to find a workable solution for
the problem. The Wikipedia's sometimes seem to consits of a lot of
individual projects (biology->species of flies, movies->James Bond,
movies->Harry Poter, etc.etc.etc.etc) which never the less share some
parts (like templates and graphics and generally good ideas).

--
----
Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards
Hans Voss

Re: Using a Wiki for multiple projects? HELP!

James Mohr-3
On Thursday 03 August 2006 20:57, Hans Voss wrote:
> We adhere to rigid standards with categorizing all the pages. This
> makes it possible for our projects (currently 2 "and a half") to
> coexist in the same wiki without bothering each other when not wanted.
> They only share the Main Page, which is where most people start and
> where I link to the different projects.

I am curious about what your "rigid standards" are.

regards,

jimmo

Re: Using a Wiki for multiple projects? HELP!

Hans Voss
"You will use (one of the following) categories, or else...."
-and-
Use category A for articles about ....
Use sub-category A1 ....
If you don't know contact a '[[redacteur]]'

----