Using themes / templates

Eric K-2
Sorry if this is a newbie question. I've not done my research.

If I want to drastically change the appearance and have new types of navigation on the site and what not, I think I can do that but I need to update that template or theme every time there's an update to the Mediawiki software - this is what I had learned a while ago but it may not be true any longer.

Or is there an easier way to plugin a theme and have it work even after updates? Is this the right thing to check out?
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Theme

Erik

Re: Using themes / templates

Daniel Friesen-4
No you would write a skin.
See core skin implementations in skins/
We sort of have documentation but our manual on skinning is absolute
garbage. The Skin system isn't all that great till at least 1.18 (though
it is usable).

On 11-09-14 02:40 PM, Eric K wrote:
> Sorry if this is a newbie question. I've not done my research.
>
> If I want to drastically change the appearance and have new types of navigation on the site and what not, I think I can do that but I need to update that template or theme every time there's an update to the Mediawiki software - this is what I had learned a while ago but it may not be true any longer.
>
> Or is there an easier way to plugin a theme and have it work even after updates? Is this the right thing to check out?
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Theme
>
> Erik

Re: Using themes / templates

Platonides
Eric K wrote:
> Sorry if this is a newbie question. I've not done my research.
>
> If I want to drastically change the appearance and have new types of navigation on the site and what not, I think I can do that but I need to update that template or theme every time there's an update to the Mediawiki software - this is what I had learned a while ago but it may not be true any longer.
>
> Or is there an easier way to plugin a theme and have it work even after updates? Is this the right thing to check out?
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Theme
>
> Erik

If they are just CSS changes, you could place them in the MediaWiki
namespace instead of creating a new skin (or add a dumb skin for them).

Modifying the Vector skin to add a Monaco feature (popup menu)

Eric K-2
Has anyone successfully modified the Vector skin to have the Monaco skin feature of popup menus that are customizable using Mediawiki pages? If yes, let me know and I would like to have that skin from you.
thanks
Erik