Video about MediaWiki

Brianna Laugher
Hi all,

Earlier this month I gave a talk at my local Linux users group meeting
about some of the "advanced" functionality of MediaWiki, and how it
could be modified on the "wiki side" without needing a site
administrator's assistance. I thought it might be interesting to some
people on this list.

There is a video of it here: <http://blip.tv/file/1504861> It goes for
55 minutes. You can also download the video source file from that
page.

And you can view the slides here
<http://www.slideshare.net/pfctdayelise/hacking-mediawiki-for-users-presentation>
or download them from Wikimedia Commons here
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Hacking_MediaWiki_%28For_Users%29_slides_-_Brianna_Laugher.pdf>.

The slides and the video are both licensed CC-BY-SA.

I would be happy to receive feedback, if you found it useful, or if
you found I said something incorrect, or if you know some useful trick
that I didn't mention.

cheers,
Brianna
[[user:pfctdayelise]]

http://modernthings.org/

Re: Video about MediaWiki

G Rundlett
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Brianna Laugher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Earlier this month I gave a talk at my local Linux users group meeting
> about some of the "advanced" functionality of MediaWiki, and how it
> could be modified on the "wiki side" without needing a site
> administrator's assistance. I thought it might be interesting to some
> people on this list.
>
> There is a video of it here: <http://blip.tv/file/1504861> It goes for
> 55 minutes. You can also download the video source file from that
> page.
>
> And you can view the slides here
> <http://www.slideshare.net/pfctdayelise/hacking-mediawiki-for-users-presentation>
> or download them from Wikimedia Commons here
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Hacking_MediaWiki_%28For_Users%29_slides_-_Brianna_Laugher.pdf>.
>
> The slides and the video are both licensed CC-BY-SA.
>
> I would be happy to receive feedback, if you found it useful, or if
> you found I said something incorrect, or if you know some useful trick
> that I didn't mention.
>
> cheers,
> Brianna
> [[user:pfctdayelise]]
>
> --
> They've just been waiting in a mountain for the right moment:
> http://modernthings.org/

Thanks Brianna,

I actually found and watched your video before I saw this post.  I
think you did a very good job at presenting the perspective that is
important to most wiki users.

I'll be presenting in a month to the BostonPHP Group and I hope to
post my video also.

Best regards,

Greg

--
Greg Rundlett
Web Developer - Initiative in Innovative Computing

Re: Video about MediaWiki

Steve VanSlyck
How do you - by which I mean "how do I" - download it? I can find a
"download playing" link (whatever /that/ means) but nothing that appears
to say how to download the video.

Greg Rundlett wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Brianna Laugher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Earlier this month I gave a talk at my local Linux users group meeting
>> about some of the "advanced" functionality of MediaWiki, and how it
>> could be modified on the "wiki side" without needing a site
>> administrator's assistance. ***

Re: Video about MediaWiki

Steve VanSlyck
Oh - and, yes, I did read the help page first. Suggestions there did not
apply to the code on the actual page.

2008/12/7 Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]>

> How do you - by which I mean "how do I" - download it? I can find a
> "download playing" link (whatever /that/ means) but nothing that appears
> to say how to download the video.

In the "Files and Links" box on the right, there are some addresses.

Here they are; choose your format:

http://blip.tv/file/get/Luvic-HackingMediaWikiForUsersBriannaLaugher844.avi
http://blip.tv/file/get/Luvic-HackingMediaWikiForUsersBriannaLaugher930.ogg
http://blip.tv/file/get/Luvic-HackingMediaWikiForUsersBriannaLaugher252.flv