Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Guillaume Paumier-3
Hello,

First of all, I want to congratulate and thank the Wikimania organizing team
for putting together one of the best-organized Wikimanias I've attended. It's
easy to only notice the problems, so I wanted to call out the great work
explicitly.

My main disappointment this year is that many sessions seem to go unrecorded.
In previous years, I seem to recall that videos for most sessions were
recorded, and sometimes even streamed live. It sometimes took months for the
videos to be processed and uploaded to Commons or other video hosting sites,
but the videos existed. If the session isn't taped at all, then the record is
lost forever.

We have a lot of talented presenters giving insightful talks and generating
great discussions, but only for the benefit of the small subset of our
community that's present in the room. If we can't share what happens at
Wikimania with our larger community, it seems like a missed opportunity for
our movement. Even for Wikimania attendees, when there are up to 8
simultaneous tracks, it's easy to miss sessions you're interested in.

I realize it's probably too late to do anything for this year's Wikimania, but
I'd like to start a discussion about making video recordings of all sessions
(not just a selection of them) a requirement for upcoming Wikimania bids.

--
Guillaume Paumier

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Manuel Schneider-3
Salut Guillaume,

video recording is a real cost driver - you need expensive equipment (as
of 1.000 USD / day) and a lot of staff if you want to make it
professionally.

Sometimes you are lucky and video production is offered by the venue or
a video producer is providing sponsorship but otherwise it is really a
question of costs. Often the compromise is then to only record the main
auditorium and skip the rest.

What you can do is to bring your own camera and mic for a Google Hangout
session and recording, as I did for the MediaWiki Stakeholder session.
This won't be very professional, though.

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Nkansah Rexford
video recording is a real cost driver - you need expensive equipment (as
of 1.000 USD / day) and a lot of staff if you want to make it
professionally.

How good is the idea, that instead of hiring these tools year after year, the WMF/Wikimania grabs a set of, say 10 portable, yet good video cameras, and reuse them from Wikimania's to Wikimania?

Unless Wikimania is coming to an end in a couple of years time, I see grabbing such gadgets (if not already available) and making use of them from time to time a valid and profitable long-term investment.

Talk of volunteers? I think when a call is put up for volunteer cameramen, we can get them to before every wikimania.

Victor brought a great video camera (property of wmf) last year to wikimania. I enjoyed using it, and if there're enough for each session, getting cameramen shouldn't be an issue.

The wikimedia community is big, thus aside maybe needing the expert/professional services of  production houses to handle live streaming or sort, recording a session (a point and shoot thing), I don't think any rocket science might be needed of which we can find volunteers among us to do that.

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Victor Grigas
So I spoke with the team doing the video recordings this year about 5 weeks ago. This is what I know:

*Last year, all the talks were recorded, which cost a lot, and then very few people watched them, so (this was not my decision) the decision was made to only record particular talks this year.

*No livestreams were available.

*The video team that has been hired has been instructed to incorporate .webm conversion and uploading to commons into their workflow, so expect them to upload as soon as they can. I don;t know when this will be.

*All the footage that the video team is shooting will be owned (copyright) by Wikimedia Mexico per their contract, so if there are particular clips you want later, contact WMMX.

Per Nkansah's point: I don't recommend buying 10 cameras - the cost of shipping, storing, maintaining all that gear is cumbersome and as the years go on, most cameras will go 'obsolete' - they will function but not be up to moderns standards. For those reasons I do recommend renting gear in locations for large productions, like Wikimania.

Hope this helps!

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Storyteller and Video Content Producer

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
Guillaume, yes, it's nice to have video recording for all Wikimania session - but the question if someone watching them, to worth the money, time and resources.

Wikimedia Israel in Wikimania 2011 invest a lot of money to record everything, time and resources to edit the videos (you need to transfer them for all the cameras, convert them) and time (and a huge bandwidth) to upload all of them. It's a lotttttt of resources just for few hundreds people will watch the videos.  To be honest? I don't think it worth that..

Regards,
Itzik Edri
Chairperson, Wikimedia Israel
+972-(0)-54-5878078 | http://www.wikimedia.org.il
Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment!

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Guillaume Paumier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Lodewijk
What could we do to make it worth it? How could we make the video recordings more interesting to people to watch? Are the sessions in the main room really the most interesting ones for remote watching?

Just a few questions that come up when I read this. Because to be honest, we invest even more money and time in the 'few hundred' people that actually attend the conference. Eventually, it is a matter of finding a balance between value and cost - and I'd love to think a bit more about how we could both increase the value, and decrease the cost.

Lodewijk

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 4:59 PM, Itzik - Wikimedia Israel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Lodewijk, 18/07/2015 00:03:
> Just a few questions that come up when I read this. Because to be
> honest, we invest even more money and time in the 'few hundred' people
> that actually attend the conference.

Yes. Wikimania videos were always published too late, when any interest
had already faded. A better comparison would be to look at how many
people watch FOSDEM (or CCC?) recordings, to assess how wide an audience
could be reached by a *functioning* recording scheme.

Nemo

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Brion Vibber-4
One thing I'd like to do is provide some common infrastructure for this, so anyone with a laptop and a camera they can hook up to it can make a basic recording, live stream it (if the network holds up) and push it up to Commons or at least a staging area when complete. The fancy professionals should be able to hook up their fancy hardware to the same system as well, avoiding the months-long wait for manual transcoding and upload. If venue bandwidth is constrained, start with low resolution output and consider reuploading HD later!

But videos aren't the only way to record or consume info; there are other things we can do to make sessions more available.

I would also suggest that presentation authors include speakers' notes in their PDF slides -- it's fashionable to have bare slides that don't duplicate your words on projection, but people downloading them afterwards don't have your words to follow along with if you don't attach them.

Of course questions and round tables are hard to catch that way... But notes can be taken on etherpads and copied onto the wiki for preservation.

-- brion

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Guillaume Paumier <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;gpaumier@wikimedia.org&#39;);" target="_blank">gpaumier@...> wrote:
[...]

Pine W

If we could get just audio recordings plus slides and any written materials, I think that would be almost as good as video in most cases, at far less cost and complexity.

Cheers,
Pine

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Victor Grigas
I like Pine's suggestion.

Audio is much cheaper (still not free for high quality) and easier than video AND 16 bit .WAV is now a free format.

The only consideration is that presentations often involve visual materials.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

If we could get just audio recordings plus slides and any written materials, I think that would be almost as good as video in most cases, at far less cost and complexity.

Cheers,
Pine

Victor Grigas
Storyteller and Video Content Producer

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Cornelius Kibelka
In my opinion (and in my position as the responsible for the follow-up for the Wikimedia Conference), we invest and spend a lot of money for the Wikimania each year. Despite of having a relatively broad attendance, the sustainability of Wikimania is doubtful, as there is no clear documentation standard and nobody is committed to track what happened actually at Wikimania itself and afterwards.

Consistent video recoding, despite being expensive, could be a way to improve that. But it has to be done in a good way. That means, 3-4 weeks after the conference videos must be published (at the latest), relevant session recordings must be shared directly with certain target groups (e.g. a Communication session with the ComCom list). And of course, the video must be uploaded on Commons (not on Youtube), so they easier to integrate on wiki pages.

If those standards are met, much more people could actually benefit from the Wikimania, even when they not attended it. E.g., even now videos of interesting and insightful talks of the German internet conference Re:publica are shared in social networks. In the future, that could be also possible for Wikimania talks.

Best
Cornelius

On 18 July 2015 at 02:30, Victor Grigas <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like Pine's suggestion.

Audio is much cheaper (still not free for high quality) and easier than video AND 16 bit .WAV is now a free format.

The only consideration is that presentations often involve visual materials.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

If we could get just audio recordings plus slides and any written materials, I think that would be almost as good as video in most cases, at far less cost and complexity.

Cheers,
Pine

Victor Grigas
Storyteller and Video Content Producer

Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
for the Wikimedia Conference

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Hydriz Scholz
I found it rather disappointing to hear that videos are not being recorded. I posted on the information desk regarding this issue last month, hoping that the organizing team would provide a reply and seek help if necessary. [1] Sadly, the coordination page that I have started would have gone to waste. [2]

I believe videos are important. They serve as an archive of the various talks that have happened during Wikimania, and I share the opinion that video recording should be part of the bidding process. The monetary costs may be high, but it benefits many people who are unable to attend the conference to be able to watch the amazing talks offered by the speakers.

Thanks.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Cornelius Kibelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Best regards,
Hydriz Scholz

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Ivo Kruusamägi
For many cases I'd see it practical to have volunteer bloggers who would write summaries on what was talked about. Combining that with slides should fix pretty much all recording problems. Wikipedians could also join in and help with recording of some talks and it is fairly easy to just save audio.

Spending a great amount of time and money to produce quality videos that barely no-one watches isn't reasonable at all. Yes, some most important talks should be recorded, but not all.

Regards
Ivo Kuusamägi

[...]

Fæ
I suggest we take this on a positive direction and ask the wider
community for "virtualisation" proposals/grants immediately after
Wikimania, not just to support Wikimania 2016, but all of our other
events, potentially down to the level of edit-a-thons (which I have
run successfully with live hangouts + IRC participation with no
expenses incurred).

Some suggestions in this thread for solutions, such as amateur
recording of video casts or audio recording to supplement
presentations, are worth facilitating, as would using this conference
as a platform to experiment and demonstrate virtual reality presence
and remote participation. Even a simple rolling Wikimania google
hangout for those that can't be there, to drop in and chat about
events and ideas would be great. A someone who is advised to avoid
long flights for medical reasons, it would be great to have the
opportunity to take part beyond this email and the odd comment on the
meta wiki.

Reporting the cost of all aspects of Wikimania is critical. Measuring
the return on investment for producing videos is an excellent thing to
do, though I would expect when this is compared to the returns and
environmental impact of so many international flights, there is more
that could be done at a cheaper burn rate than the estimated $1,000 /
hour.

Fae

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Andy Mabbett-2
On 17 July 2015 at 22:33, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How good is the idea, that instead of hiring these tools year after year,
> the WMF/Wikimania grabs a set of, say 10 portable, yet good video cameras,
> and reuse them from Wikimania's to Wikimania?

Recording video* is easy; you can do it on most mobile phones these days.

What is difficult is providing audio of sufficient quality; you need
good, well placed microphones, operated by someone who knows what they
are doing, This is especially important when you consider that many
people will not be listening in their native language.

Then there's the issue of closed captions....

* Likewise streaming it - if you have sufficient bandwidth; ideally
not the public Wi-Fi.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Isarra Yos
On 18/07/15 11:01, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> What is difficult is providing audio of sufficient quality; you need
> good, well placed microphones, operated by someone who knows what they
> are doing, This is especially important when you consider that many
> people will not be listening in their native language.

But we generally present with microphones anyway in order to use
speakers in the room. Shouldn't it be possible to hook into this to also
record it?

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Nkansah Rexford
Recording video* is easy; you can do it on most mobile phones these days.

And on that note, the wiki indaba conference was recorded solely on a mobile phone[1]. Although sound quality wasn't the best, with considerable thought on getting an appropriate accessory to handle sound, phones are also an alternative worth looking into.

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Victor Grigas
I agree with Andy for the most part. My rule has always been that even if the image is amazing, if the audio is bad the audience will hate what they are watching and won't know why (it will be because they have to spend extra effort to understand the audio they are hearing).

However IMHO for strictly archival and transcription purposes, cheap quick low-quality cellphone/cheap camcorder stuff CAN sometimes work.

Also per what Isarra said, if audio is being amplified in any way, it's best to plug your video camera/audio recorder into that source directly, or indirectly:
File:2015 Wikimania press conference-3.jpg
Sometimes though, audience members will ask questions, and those might not be recorded. Again, having a professional there helps with this.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
Recording video* is easy; you can do it on most mobile phones these days.

And on that note, the wiki indaba conference was recorded solely on a mobile phone[1]. Although sound quality wasn't the best, with considerable thought on getting an appropriate accessory to handle sound, phones are also an alternative worth looking into.

Victor Grigas
Storyteller and Video Content Producer

Re: Video recording of Wikimania sessions

Andrew Lih-2
I'm trying to guerrilla video record as many Wikimania sessions that I can attend, so I cannot respond at length.

But I do want to say: the cost/benefit analysis needs to consider the quality of the viewers and not just the quantity.

When a Wikipedian in Residence can show their institution the video of their Wikimania presentation as evidence of impact and engagement, it can lead to renewal of their positions and more initiatives.

When the video of a Wikimania panel on COI and PR editing can convince more multi-billion dollar PR firm to understand our guidelines and terms of use, that's a major outcome.

When someone talks about Wiki Loves Earth, #100wikidays or other grassroots projects, video provides a unique window into the emotions and motivations you cannot capture in a mailing list or blog post.

When in 10 years, we want to know the passions and personalities that led us to where the movement is, where will we look?

If we're expecting Wikimania videos to rack up the same views as LOLcats, it ain't going to happen. It has always been a very small core community does a massive amount of the innovation and work that keeps the projects going, and the ability to talk to each other in deep, complex and accessible ways is vital.

For a movement dedicated to capturing the sum of all human knowledge, it's surprising how blasé we are in letting our own community history fall by the wayside.

-Andrew Lih
Associate professor of journalism, American University
Email: [hidden email]
WEB: http://www.andrewlih.com
BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: http://www.wikipediarevolution.com
PROJECT: Wiki Makes Video http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Wiki_Makes_Video