Violations of Wikimedia copyright

Robert S. Horning
I would like to know what the current policy is (if any) for people who
are strongly suspected of violating copyright of content that was
produced on Wikimedia projects.  I'm not talking about people dumping
copyrighted content onto a Wikimedia project, but somebody thinking that
the content is free and therefore is in the public domain and they are
free to use it in any way they want.

I guess we should feel flattered that this is happening, and I'm going
to give a specific example:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Flies

This Wikibook has been slightly modified and copied onto a number of
websites, including some very commercial sites that are actually
charging even for access to this content. See:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22During+an+unnamed+time+of+war%2C+a+plane+carrying+a+group+of+British+schoolboys+is+shot+down+over+the+Pacific.%22

This was marked as a copyright violation, and I think it is... of
Wikibooks material.

What is interesting here is that it is not a wholesale mirror of
Wikibooks (there are some of those), but rather a slight modification to
the content and trying to pass it off as original compositions.  These
websites are quite sleazy as well anyway, because they are selling term
papers for lazy students, but it is still interesting that they would
pick content that originated on a Wikimedia website.  As this Wikibook
has been around for a couple of years and the full edit history is
available to show each edit and change, I think it is obvious that the
content was created at en.wikibooks originally, at least to veteran
Wikimedia users.

I suspect this is going to be a larger problem in the future.

--
Robert Scott Horning

Re: Violations of Wikimedia copyright

Angela-5
On 3/29/06, Robert Scott Horning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to know what the current policy is (if any) for people who
> are strongly suspected of violating copyright of content that was
> produced on Wikimedia projects.

There isn't one policy covering all the projects, but the English
Wikipedia does have a process for dealing with this, which could be
applied more broadly. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mirrors_and_forks#Non-compliance_process

Angela.