Visa Acquisition Assistance

Nkansah Rexford
Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.

For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This brings us much joy.

That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.

I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking countries.

I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.

Rexford

--
+Rexford | +CG Central | +233 266 811 165 l BFCT

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Deryck Chan
Next year, WMF and Wikimania London are hiring the company which got the visas for everyone in London Olympics! Fingers crossed.

Also, unfortunately, this year we did have one person who didn't get his visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(

On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.

For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This brings us much joy.

That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.

I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking countries.

I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.

Rexford

--
+Rexford | +CG Central | <a href="tel:%2B233%20266%20811%20165" value="+233266811165" target="_blank">+233 266 811 165 l BFCT

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Amir Sarabadani-2
I think I have to clarify a thing: the guy that couldn't get his visa
in time There was just one reason. he didn't send his documents in
time. It wasn't the committee's fault at all or policy of the
government

Best

On 8/15/13, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Next year, WMF and Wikimania London are hiring the company which got the
> visas for everyone in London Olympics! Fingers crossed.
>
> Also, unfortunately, this year we did have one person who didn't get his
> visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(
>

> On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.
>>
>> For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This
>> brings us much joy.
>>
>> That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local
>> organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of
>> inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.
>>
>> I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping
>> countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking
>> countries.
>>
>> I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted
>> and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from
>> semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.
>>
>> Rexford
>>

>> --
>> +Rexford <https://plus.google.com/107174506890941499078> | +CG
>> Central<https://plus.google.com/b/103109918657638322478/103109918657638322478/posts>
>> |
>> +233 266 811 165 l
>> BFCT<http://www.blendernetwork.org/member/nkansah-rexford-nyarko/>

Amir

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Amir Sarabadani-2
I think I have to clarify a thing: the guy that couldn't get his visa
in time There was just one reason. he didn't send his documents in
time. It wasn't the committee's fault at all or policy of the
government

Best

On 8/15/13, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Next year, WMF and Wikimania London are hiring the company which got the
> visas for everyone in London Olympics! Fingers crossed.
>
> Also, unfortunately, this year we did have one person who didn't get his
> visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(
>

> On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.
>>
>> For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This
>> brings us much joy.
>>
>> That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local
>> organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of
>> inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.
>>
>> I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping
>> countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking
>> countries.
>>
>> I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted
>> and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from
>> semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.
>>
>> Rexford
>>

>> --
>> +Rexford <https://plus.google.com/107174506890941499078> | +CG
>> Central<https://plus.google.com/b/103109918657638322478/103109918657638322478/posts>
>> |
>> +233 266 811 165 l
>> BFCT<http://www.blendernetwork.org/member/nkansah-rexford-nyarko/>

Amir

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Deryck Chan
No, the person who didn't receive his visa on time submitted everything well ahead of the deadline. It was their local Chinese Embassy which was being generally unhelpful and delaying the application beyond Wikimania.

Since the application was stuck at the embassy rather than Hong Kong, there was basically nothing we can do from the Hong Kong side.

The advantage of Hong Kong was that the vast majority of Wikimaniacs did not require visas to enter Hong Kong. But the disadvantage is that Hong Kong is not an independent sovereign state, therefore the bureaucracy is extra-difficult to navigate through for the few who did need visas. This is the opposite problem of Wikimania DC - huge amounts of people needed visas, but Wikimania had the support of the state department so the bureaucracy was handled quite smoothly.

Deryck

On 16 August 2013 00:31, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think I have to clarify a thing: the guy that couldn't get his visa
in time There was just one reason. he didn't send his documents in
time. It wasn't the committee's fault at all or policy of the
government

Best

On 8/15/13, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Next year, WMF and Wikimania London are hiring the company which got the
> visas for everyone in London Olympics! Fingers crossed.
>
> Also, unfortunately, this year we did have one person who didn't get his
> visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(
>

> On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.
>>
>> For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This
>> brings us much joy.
>>
>> That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local
>> organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of
>> inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.
>>
>> I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping
>> countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking
>> countries.
>>
>> I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted
>> and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from
>> semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.
>>
>> Rexford
>>

>> --
>> BFCT<http://www.blendernetwork.org/member/nkansah-rexford-nyarko/>

Amir

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Nkansah Rexford

" ..-Wikimania had the support of the state department so the bureaucracy was handled quite smoothly"

Really? You think so? I don't think so.

On Aug 16, 2013 8:59 AM, "Deryck Chan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, the person who didn't receive his visa on time submitted everything well ahead of the deadline. It was their local Chinese Embassy which was being generally unhelpful and delaying the application beyond Wikimania.

Since the application was stuck at the embassy rather than Hong Kong, there was basically nothing we can do from the Hong Kong side.

The advantage of Hong Kong was that the vast majority of Wikimaniacs did not require visas to enter Hong Kong. But the disadvantage is that Hong Kong is not an independent sovereign state, therefore the bureaucracy is extra-difficult to navigate through for the few who did need visas. This is the opposite problem of Wikimania DC - huge amounts of people needed visas, but Wikimania had the support of the state department so the bureaucracy was handled quite smoothly.

Deryck

On 16 August 2013 00:31, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think I have to clarify a thing: the guy that couldn't get his visa
in time There was just one reason. he didn't send his documents in
time. It wasn't the committee's fault at all or policy of the
government

Best

On 8/15/13, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Next year, WMF and Wikimania London are hiring the company which got the
> visas for everyone in London Olympics! Fingers crossed.
>
> Also, unfortunately, this year we did have one person who didn't get his
> visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(
>

> On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.
>>
>> For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This
>> brings us much joy.
>>
>> That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local
>> organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of
>> inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.
>>
>> I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping
>> countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking
>> countries.
>>
>> I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted
>> and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from
>> semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.
>>
>> Rexford
>>

>> --
>> BFCT<http://www.blendernetwork.org/member/nkansah-rexford-nyarko/>

Amir

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Lodewijk
Please read this in context: compared to normal US visa procedures.

2013/8/16 Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]>

" ..-Wikimania had the support of the state department so the bureaucracy was handled quite smoothly"

Really? You think so? I don't think so.

On Aug 16, 2013 8:59 AM, "Deryck Chan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, the person who didn't receive his visa on time submitted everything well ahead of the deadline. It was their local Chinese Embassy which was being generally unhelpful and delaying the application beyond Wikimania.

Since the application was stuck at the embassy rather than Hong Kong, there was basically nothing we can do from the Hong Kong side.

The advantage of Hong Kong was that the vast majority of Wikimaniacs did not require visas to enter Hong Kong. But the disadvantage is that Hong Kong is not an independent sovereign state, therefore the bureaucracy is extra-difficult to navigate through for the few who did need visas. This is the opposite problem of Wikimania DC - huge amounts of people needed visas, but Wikimania had the support of the state department so the bureaucracy was handled quite smoothly.

Deryck

On 16 August 2013 00:31, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think I have to clarify a thing: the guy that couldn't get his visa
in time There was just one reason. he didn't send his documents in
time. It wasn't the committee's fault at all or policy of the
government

Best

On 8/15/13, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Next year, WMF and Wikimania London are hiring the company which got the
> visas for everyone in London Olympics! Fingers crossed.
>
> Also, unfortunately, this year we did have one person who didn't get his
> visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(
>

> On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.
>>
>> For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This
>> brings us much joy.
>>
>> That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local
>> organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of
>> inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.
>>
>> I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping
>> countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking
>> countries.
>>
>> I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted
>> and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from
>> semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.
>>
>> Rexford
>>

>> --
>> BFCT<http://www.blendernetwork.org/member/nkansah-rexford-nyarko/>

Amir

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Joseph Fox
Granted the US visa procedures are a bit nuts! :)

Joe

On 16 August 2013 09:45, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please read this in context: compared to normal US visa procedures.

2013/8/16 Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]>

" ..-Wikimania had the support of the state department so the bureaucracy was handled quite smoothly"

Really? You think so? I don't think so.

On Aug 16, 2013 8:59 AM, "Deryck Chan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, the person who didn't receive his visa on time submitted everything well ahead of the deadline. It was their local Chinese Embassy which was being generally unhelpful and delaying the application beyond Wikimania.

Since the application was stuck at the embassy rather than Hong Kong, there was basically nothing we can do from the Hong Kong side.

The advantage of Hong Kong was that the vast majority of Wikimaniacs did not require visas to enter Hong Kong. But the disadvantage is that Hong Kong is not an independent sovereign state, therefore the bureaucracy is extra-difficult to navigate through for the few who did need visas. This is the opposite problem of Wikimania DC - huge amounts of people needed visas, but Wikimania had the support of the state department so the bureaucracy was handled quite smoothly.

Deryck

On 16 August 2013 00:31, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think I have to clarify a thing: the guy that couldn't get his visa
in time There was just one reason. he didn't send his documents in
time. It wasn't the committee's fault at all or policy of the
government

Best

On 8/15/13, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Next year, WMF and Wikimania London are hiring the company which got the
> visas for everyone in London Olympics! Fingers crossed.
>
> Also, unfortunately, this year we did have one person who didn't get his
> visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(
>

> On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.
>>
>> For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This
>> brings us much joy.
>>
>> That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local
>> organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of
>> inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.
>>
>> I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping
>> countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking
>> countries.
>>
>> I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted
>> and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from
>> semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.
>>
>> Rexford
>>

>> --
>> BFCT<http://www.blendernetwork.org/member/nkansah-rexford-nyarko/>

Amir

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Jeremy Baron
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please read this in context: compared to normal US visa procedures.

AIUI, there really wasn't much help from the state department for
visas. (they did help in a number of ways but I think that wasn't one
of them)

-Jeremy

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Joseph Fox
Also, if anyone is interested in working out if they need a visa for next year in London, you should see if your country is listed as a "visa national" country in the "More Information" section of this page: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/general/visa/

On 16 August 2013 09:56, Jeremy Baron <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please read this in context: compared to normal US visa procedures.

AIUI, there really wasn't much help from the state department for
visas. (they did help in a number of ways but I think that wasn't one
of them)

-Jeremy

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Joseph Fox
One more thing - if you're from a "visa national" country that is not Cuba, Malawi, North Korea, Turkmenistan or Zimbabwe, you can apply online for the visa, which is pretty cool I guess?

On 16 August 2013 09:59, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also, if anyone is interested in working out if they need a visa for next year in London, you should see if your country is listed as a "visa national" country in the "More Information" section of this page: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/general/visa/

On 16 August 2013 09:56, Jeremy Baron <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please read this in context: compared to normal US visa procedures.

AIUI, there really wasn't much help from the state department for
visas. (they did help in a number of ways but I think that wasn't one
of them)

-Jeremy

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Nkansah Rexford

Unfortunately, in my case, it was only one way - a way that doesn't speak much in our local environment in terms of serious documents such as visas.

I was disappointed, to experience the definition of 'visa assistance' executed in such a manner.

Other organizations made it and makes it work for their members who they wish to travel to the US for conferences and events. But for Wikimania, it was a different experience.

On Aug 16, 2013 4:56 PM, "Jeremy Baron" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please read this in context: compared to normal US visa procedures.

AIUI, there really wasn't much help from the state department for
visas. (they did help in a number of ways but I think that wasn't one
of them)

-Jeremy

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Nkansah Rexford

Applying online doesn't give the visa. Rather meeting the consular does. That's where the assistance can be vital and is much needed.

On Aug 16, 2013 5:04 PM, "Joseph Fox" <[hidden email]> wrote:
One more thing - if you're from a "visa national" country that is not Cuba, Malawi, North Korea, Turkmenistan or Zimbabwe, you can apply online for the visa, which is pretty cool I guess?

On 16 August 2013 09:59, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also, if anyone is interested in working out if they need a visa for next year in London, you should see if your country is listed as a "visa national" country in the "More Information" section of this page: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/general/visa/

On 16 August 2013 09:56, Jeremy Baron <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please read this in context: compared to normal US visa procedures.

AIUI, there really wasn't much help from the state department for
visas. (they did help in a number of ways but I think that wasn't one
of them)

-Jeremy

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Nkansah Rexford

The expression "normal US visa procedures" is a relative statement.

'Normal' in one country can be 'abnormal' in another.

What then is a 'normal' visa procedure for US?

On Aug 16, 2013 4:45 PM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please read this in context: compared to normal US visa procedures.

2013/8/16 Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]>

" ..-Wikimania had the support of the state department so the bureaucracy was handled quite smoothly"

Really? You think so? I don't think so.

On Aug 16, 2013 8:59 AM, "Deryck Chan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, the person who didn't receive his visa on time submitted everything well ahead of the deadline. It was their local Chinese Embassy which was being generally unhelpful and delaying the application beyond Wikimania.

Since the application was stuck at the embassy rather than Hong Kong, there was basically nothing we can do from the Hong Kong side.

The advantage of Hong Kong was that the vast majority of Wikimaniacs did not require visas to enter Hong Kong. But the disadvantage is that Hong Kong is not an independent sovereign state, therefore the bureaucracy is extra-difficult to navigate through for the few who did need visas. This is the opposite problem of Wikimania DC - huge amounts of people needed visas, but Wikimania had the support of the state department so the bureaucracy was handled quite smoothly.

Deryck

On 16 August 2013 00:31, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think I have to clarify a thing: the guy that couldn't get his visa
in time There was just one reason. he didn't send his documents in
time. It wasn't the committee's fault at all or policy of the
government

Best

On 8/15/13, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Next year, WMF and Wikimania London are hiring the company which got the
> visas for everyone in London Olympics! Fingers crossed.
>
> Also, unfortunately, this year we did have one person who didn't get his
> visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(
>

> On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.
>>
>> For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This
>> brings us much joy.
>>
>> That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local
>> organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of
>> inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.
>>
>> I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping
>> countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking
>> countries.
>>
>> I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted
>> and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from
>> semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.
>>
>> Rexford
>>

>> --
>> BFCT<http://www.blendernetwork.org/member/nkansah-rexford-nyarko/>

Amir

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Abbas Mahmood
Nkansah,

I have been to more than 10 different embassies and in my experience, I have learnt that there is only so much that a third party can do to expedite the visa application process. So if I were you, I'd focus on finding out what _you_ did wrong in your last visa application, and start refining how  you will make a better visa application next time. Because ultimately, the consular officer's decision will be made on how _you_ present your case.

Abbas.

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:38:22 +0000
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] Visa Acquisition Assistance

On 8/15/13, Deryck Chan <deryckchan@...> wrote:
> Next year, WMF and Wikimania London are hiring the company which got the
> visas for everyone in London Olympics! Fingers crossed.
>
> Also, unfortunately, this year we did have one person who didn't get his
> visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(
>

> On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <nkansahrexford@...> wrote:
>
>> Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.
>>
>> For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This
>> brings us much joy.
>>
>> That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local
>> organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of
>> inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.
>>
>> I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping
>> countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking
>> countries.
>>
>> I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted
>> and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from
>> semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.
>>
>> Rexford
>>

>> --
>> BFCT<http://www.blendernetwork.org/member/nkansah-rexford-nyarko/>

Amir

Re: Visa Acquisition Assistance

Nkansah Rexford

There's no dedicated honk Kong embassy in Ghana. Chinese embassy wasn't functional during the period of visa applications.

However with the support of visa assistance from the organizing team, a Ghanaian could attend the conference  even with less than 3 weeks to time.

The secret? The HK organization proved the real visa assistance I know of. She didn't visit any embassy nor consular - all she did was to fill a form. But she got her visa just in time. Her application was even mailed physically.

The need for her to present her case wasn't even available in her case, simply because HK visa assistance was real, practical, and timely.

After presenting the best of my case also, a case presented from the other side ( or the inviting organization ) is essential.

If one is traveling on his own will, its a different ball game compared to winning a scholarship for conference. In the latter instance, much work is involved in assisting in visa.

Rexford

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:38:22 +0000
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

> [...]

> visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(
>

> On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.
>>
>> For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This
>> brings us much joy.
>>
>> That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local
>> organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of
>> inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.
>>
>> I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping
>> countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking
>> countries.
>>
>> I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted
>> and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from
>> semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.

Well, I should have beeen more specific: I was referring to the European/American/Western context. Just to give you a heads up: don't expect the British Embassy to process your visa application the way Hong Kong does.

Abbas.

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:38:22 +0000
From: nkansahrexford@...
To: wikimania-l@...

> [...]

> visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(
>

> On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <nkansahrexford@...> wrote:
>
>> Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.
>>
>> For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This
>> brings us much joy.
>>
>> That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local
>> organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of
>> inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.
>>
>> I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping
>> countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking
>> countries.
>>
>> I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted
>> and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from
>> semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.

Dhaval S. Vyas

+1

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:38:22 +0000
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

> [...]

> visa on time. One is too many for Hong Kong! :(
>

> On 15 August 2013 16:02, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Without doubt, Wikimania HK has been a successful one.
>>
>> For the first time, a Ghanaian from Ghana could attend the event. This
>> brings us much joy.
>>
>> That wouldn't have been possible without the keen support of the local
>> organizing team in terms of Visa acquisition. Though through a lot of
>> inconveniences in acquiring Visa, Ghana was represented.
>>
>> I see their support as a very practical and effective approach in helping
>> countries like ourselves obtaining a visa to enter such high-ranking
>> countries.
>>
>> I believe and hope such visa assistance mechanism and approach is adopted
>> and improved upon by LOCs of upcoming Wikimanias to enable persons from
>> semi-banned countries like Ghana attend such wonderful events.

Thank you.

I wouldn't expect it the way the HK goes. However, I would expect visa assistance from the inviting organization; a strong visa assistance.

Rex

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:38:22 +0000
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]