Visual Editor and Media namespace

Carles Pina i Estany

Hi,

I've setup a Mediawiki for internal usage with VisualEditor.

Using the "Edit Source" I can do something like:
[[Media:Traduccio.jpg|test]]

To have a direct link to a file (instead of the page landing page).

Can I achieve the same using VisualEditor?

Even a more important question maybe, if a page had a Media link and
then I use the Visual Editor somewhere in this page it gets changed by:

[//localhost:8080/images/c/ce/Traduccio.jpg test]

(note that this instance has $wgServer = "http://localhost:8080"; ,
but I would like the link to stay as Media:File.jpg or at least to be
like /images/c/ce/Traduccio.jpg without the hostname... but ideally
leaving the Media)

Is it possible using VisualEditor? Some configuration that needs to be
changed?

I downloaded it from here, shoul be this one:
https://extdist.wmflabs.org/dist/extensions/VisualEditor-REL1_31-6854ea0.tar.gz

Thank you very much,

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        GPG Key 0x8CD5C157

Re: Visual Editor and Media namespace

Bartosz Dziewoński
W dniu piątek, 5 kwietnia 2019 Carles Pina i Estany <[hidden email]>
napisał(a):

> Hi,
>
> I've setup a Mediawiki for internal usage with VisualEditor.
>
> Using the "Edit Source" I can do something like:
> [[Media:Traduccio.jpg|test]]
>
> To have a direct link to a file (instead of the page landing page).
>
> Can I achieve the same using VisualEditor?

If you just type “Media:Traduccio.jpg” in the link dialog, it should work
as expected. Although I believe it might not have autocompletion, unlike
normal links.

> Even a more important question maybe, if a page had a Media link and
> then I use the Visual Editor somewhere in this page it gets changed by:
>
> [//localhost:8080/images/c/ce/Traduccio.jpg test]
>
> (note that this instance has $wgServer = "http://localhost:8080"; ,
> but I would like the link to stay as Media:File.jpg or at least to be
> like /images/c/ce/Traduccio.jpg without the hostname... but ideally
> leaving the Media)
>
> Is it possible using VisualEditor? Some configuration that needs to be
> changed?
>
> I downloaded it from here, shoul be this one:
> https://extdist.wmflabs.org/dist/extensions/VisualEditor-
> REL1_31-6854ea0.tar.gz

We fixed this bug in VisualEditor for MediaWiki 1.33:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T198511

Note that you’ll also need a fairly recent version of Parsoid (not sure how
their releases work).

Thank you very much,

> --
> Carles Pina i Estany
>         GPG Key 0x8CD5C157

Matma Rex

On Apr/06/2019, Bartosz Dziewoński wrote:

> W dniu piątek, 5 kwietnia 2019 Carles Pina i Estany <[hidden email]>
> napisał(a):
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've setup a Mediawiki for internal usage with VisualEditor.
> >
> > Using the "Edit Source" I can do something like:
> > [[Media:Traduccio.jpg|test]]
> >
> > To have a direct link to a file (instead of the page landing page).
> >
> > Can I achieve the same using VisualEditor?
> >

> If you just type “Media:Traduccio.jpg” in the link dialog, it should work
> as expected. Although I believe it might not have autocompletion, unlike
> normal links.

I'm having problems with this.

media-link-01.png: it's how I did the link
media-link-02.png: when I edit the link before saving (seems ok)
media-link-03.png: save and edit it again: it's changed to contain the
hostname, etc.

Are you having the same as me or something else? What could I check in
my configuration for this?

Thanks very much!

On Apr/07/2019, Bartosz Dziewoński wrote:
> As I wrote: We fixed this bug in VisualEditor for MediaWiki 1.33:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T198511
>
> Note that you’ll also need a fairly recent version of Parsoid (not sure how
> their releases work).

I'll test on MediaWiki 1.33 this week with a recent version of Parsoid,
thanks!

Carles Pina i Estany
        GPG Key 0x8CD5C157