VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Gabriel Wicke-3
Hello all,

Earlier this morning, we made some good progress towards a faster
VisualEditor experience by loading the HTML from https://rest.wikimedia.org/,
the REST content API that entered beta production a bit over a week ago
[1]. Preliminary data shows a drop of mean client HTML load times by close
to 40% from about 1.9 seconds to 1.2 seconds.

The reasons for this speed-up are primarily

   -

   a reduction in HTML size by 30-40%, achieved by storing page metadata
   separately in RESTBase [2], and
   -

   storing (rather than caching) the HTML of all Wikipedia articles, thus
   eliminating expensive cache misses.

So far we have enabled this optimization on all Wikipedias. Other projects
with VisualEditor support will follow over the next week. There are also a
lot more optimizations in the pipeline. Eventually, we hope to completely
eliminate the need to re-load the page for editing by using the same
Parsoid-generated HTML for regular page views.

While many people helped to make RESTBase and the content API a reality
(see the original announcement [1]), I want to specially call out Marko
Obrovac for doing much of the integration work with MediaWiki and the
VisualEditor extension.

I hope that you enjoy the newly faster VisualEditor experience as much as
we do!

Sincerely --

Gabriel Wicke

Principal Software Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

[1]: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2015-March/081135.html

[2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/RESTBase

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Erik Moeller-4
Fantastic work! :) VisualEditor is becoming really zippy -- which had been
one of the top concerns in user feedback in the past. Congratulations to
everyone involved.

Erik
--
Erik Möller
VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Steven Walling
Nice work! This is big.
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:08 PM Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fantastic work! :) VisualEditor is becoming really zippy -- which had been
> one of the top concerns in user feedback in the past. Congratulations to
> everyone involved.
>
> Erik
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Tomasz Finc-2
Great job team

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Gabriel Wicke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> Earlier this morning, we made some good progress towards a faster
> VisualEditor experience by loading the HTML from
> https://rest.wikimedia.org/, the REST content API that entered beta
> production a bit over a week ago [1]. Preliminary data shows a drop of mean
> client HTML load times by close to 40% from about 1.9 seconds to 1.2
> seconds.
>

> The reasons for this speed-up are primarily
>

> a reduction in HTML size by 30-40%, achieved by storing page metadata
> separately in RESTBase [2], and
>
> storing (rather than caching) the HTML of all Wikipedia articles, thus
> eliminating expensive cache misses.
>

> So far we have enabled this optimization on all Wikipedias. Other projects
> with VisualEditor support will follow over the next week. There are also a
> lot more optimizations in the pipeline. Eventually, we hope to completely
> eliminate the need to re-load the page for editing by using the same
> Parsoid-generated HTML for regular page views.
>

> While many people helped to make RESTBase and the content API a reality (see
> the original announcement [1]), I want to specially call out Marko Obrovac
> for doing much of the integration work with MediaWiki and the VisualEditor
> extension.
>

> I hope that you enjoy the newly faster VisualEditor experience as much as we
> do!
>

> Sincerely --
>

> Gabriel Wicke
>

> Principal Software Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation
>

> [1]: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2015-March/081135.html
>
> [2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/RESTBase

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Magnus Manske-2
Amazing. Even for larger articles, it seems to load quicker, or at least as
quick, as the classic edit box. Superb job!

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:52 PM Tomasz Finc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great job team
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Gabriel Wicke <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >

> > Earlier this morning, we made some good progress towards a faster
> > VisualEditor experience by loading the HTML from
> > https://rest.wikimedia.org/, the REST content API that entered beta
> > production a bit over a week ago [1]. Preliminary data shows a drop of
> mean
> > client HTML load times by close to 40% from about 1.9 seconds to 1.2
> > seconds.
> >

> > The reasons for this speed-up are primarily
> >

> > a reduction in HTML size by 30-40%, achieved by storing page metadata
> > separately in RESTBase [2], and
> >
> > storing (rather than caching) the HTML of all Wikipedia articles, thus
> > eliminating expensive cache misses.
> >

> > So far we have enabled this optimization on all Wikipedias. Other
> projects
> > with VisualEditor support will follow over the next week. There are also
> > lot more optimizations in the pipeline. Eventually, we hope to completely
> > eliminate the need to re-load the page for editing by using the same
> > Parsoid-generated HTML for regular page views.
> >

> > While many people helped to make RESTBase and the content API a reality
> (see
> > the original announcement [1]), I want to specially call out Marko
> Obrovac
> > for doing much of the integration work with MediaWiki and the
> VisualEditor
> > extension.
> >

> > I hope that you enjoy the newly faster VisualEditor experience as much
> as we
> > do!
> >

> > Sincerely --
> >

> > Gabriel Wicke
> >

> > Principal Software Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation
> >

> > [1]: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2015-
> March/081135.html
> >
> > [2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/RESTBase

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Scott MacLeod
Gabrielle and All,

Thanks for these great speedy innovations!

Cheers, Scott

On Mar 19, 2015 4:08 PM, "Magnus Manske" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Amazing. Even for larger articles, it seems to load quicker, or at least as
> quick, as the classic edit box. Superb job!
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:52 PM Tomasz Finc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Great job team
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Gabriel Wicke <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >

> > > Earlier this morning, we made some good progress towards a faster
> > > VisualEditor experience by loading the HTML from
> > > https://rest.wikimedia.org/, the REST content API that entered beta
> > > production a bit over a week ago [1]. Preliminary data shows a drop of
> > mean
> > > client HTML load times by close to 40% from about 1.9 seconds to 1.2
> > > seconds.
> > >

> > > The reasons for this speed-up are primarily
> > >

> > > a reduction in HTML size by 30-40%, achieved by storing page metadata
> > > separately in RESTBase [2], and
> > >
> > > storing (rather than caching) the HTML of all Wikipedia articles, thus
> > > eliminating expensive cache misses.
> > >

> > > So far we have enabled this optimization on all Wikipedias. Other
> > projects
> > > with VisualEditor support will follow over the next week. There are
> also
> > > lot more optimizations in the pipeline. Eventually, we hope to
> completely
> > > eliminate the need to re-load the page for editing by using the same
> > > Parsoid-generated HTML for regular page views.
> > >

> > > While many people helped to make RESTBase and the content API a reality
> > (see
> > > the original announcement [1]), I want to specially call out Marko
> > Obrovac
> > > for doing much of the integration work with MediaWiki and the
> > VisualEditor
> > > extension.
> > >

> > > I hope that you enjoy the newly faster VisualEditor experience as much
> > as we
> > > do!
> > >

> > > Sincerely --
> > >

> > > Gabriel Wicke
> > >

> > > Principal Software Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation
> > >

> > > [1]: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2015-
> > March/081135.html
> > >
> > > [2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/RESTBase

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Arthur Richards-2
Awesome! That is a truly significant improvement and quite an achievement.
High-fives all around :D

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Gabriel Wicke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> Earlier this morning, we made some good progress towards a faster
> VisualEditor experience by loading the HTML from
> https://rest.wikimedia.org/, the REST content API that entered beta
> production a bit over a week ago [1]. Preliminary data shows a drop of mean
> client HTML load times by close to 40% from about 1.9 seconds to 1.2
> seconds.
>

> The reasons for this speed-up are primarily
>

>    -
>
>    a reduction in HTML size by 30-40%, achieved by storing page metadata
>    separately in RESTBase [2], and
>    -
>
>    storing (rather than caching) the HTML of all Wikipedia articles, thus
>    eliminating expensive cache misses.
>

> So far we have enabled this optimization on all Wikipedias. Other projects
> with VisualEditor support will follow over the next week. There are also a
> lot more optimizations in the pipeline. Eventually, we hope to completely
> eliminate the need to re-load the page for editing by using the same
> Parsoid-generated HTML for regular page views.
>

> While many people helped to make RESTBase and the content API a reality
> (see the original announcement [1]), I want to specially call out Marko
> Obrovac for doing much of the integration work with MediaWiki and the
> VisualEditor extension.
>

> I hope that you enjoy the newly faster VisualEditor experience as much as
> we do!
>

> Sincerely --
>

> Gabriel Wicke
>

> Principal Software Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation
>

> [1]:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2015-March/081135.html
>
> [2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/RESTBase

Arthur Richards
Team Practices Manager
[[User:Awjrichards]]
IRC: awjr
+1-415-839-6885 x6687

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Jared Zimmerman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama?veaction=edit just loaded in 2
seconds. Team is on fire. don't put them out.

*Jared Zimmerman * \\  Director of User Experience \\ Wikimedia Foundation

M +1 415 609 4043 \\ @jaredzimmerman <http://loo.ms/g0>

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Arthur Richards <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Awesome! That is a truly significant improvement and quite an achievement.
> High-fives all around :D
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Gabriel Wicke <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>

>> Earlier this morning, we made some good progress towards a faster
>> VisualEditor experience by loading the HTML from
>> https://rest.wikimedia.org/, the REST content API that entered beta
>> production a bit over a week ago [1]. Preliminary data shows a drop of mean
>> client HTML load times by close to 40% from about 1.9 seconds to 1.2
>> seconds.
>>

>> The reasons for this speed-up are primarily
>>

>>    -
>>
>>    a reduction in HTML size by 30-40%, achieved by storing page metadata
>>    separately in RESTBase [2], and
>>    -
>>
>>    storing (rather than caching) the HTML of all Wikipedia articles,
>>    thus eliminating expensive cache misses.
>>

>> So far we have enabled this optimization on all Wikipedias. Other
>> projects with VisualEditor support will follow over the next week. There
>> are also a lot more optimizations in the pipeline. Eventually, we hope to
>> completely eliminate the need to re-load the page for editing by using the
>> same Parsoid-generated HTML for regular page views.
>>

>> While many people helped to make RESTBase and the content API a reality
>> (see the original announcement [1]), I want to specially call out Marko
>> Obrovac for doing much of the integration work with MediaWiki and the
>> VisualEditor extension.
>>

>> I hope that you enjoy the newly faster VisualEditor experience as much as
>> we do!
>>

>> Sincerely --
>>

>> Gabriel Wicke
>>

>> Principal Software Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation
>>

>> [1]:
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2015-March/081135.html
>>
>> [2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/RESTBase

> Arthur Richards
> Team Practices Manager
> [[User:Awjrichards]]
> IRC: awjr
> +1-415-839-6885 x6687

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Pine W
Excellent.

Just as a reminder: English-language video training for VisualEditor is in
the queue for publication by mid-April, led by yours truly and with the
assistance of a few collaborators. (:

Pine
On Mar 19, 2015 4:51 PM, "Jared Zimmerman" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama?veaction=edit just loaded in 2
> seconds. Team is on fire. don't put them out.
>

> *Jared Zimmerman * \\  Director of User Experience \\ Wikimedia Foundation
>
> M +1 415 609 4043 \\ @jaredzimmerman <http://loo.ms/g0>
>

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Arthur Richards <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Awesome! That is a truly significant improvement and quite an
> achievement.
> > High-fives all around :D
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Gabriel Wicke <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>

> >> Earlier this morning, we made some good progress towards a faster
> >> VisualEditor experience by loading the HTML from
> >> https://rest.wikimedia.org/, the REST content API that entered beta
> >> production a bit over a week ago [1]. Preliminary data shows a drop of
> mean
> >> client HTML load times by close to 40% from about 1.9 seconds to 1.2
> >> seconds.
> >>

> >> The reasons for this speed-up are primarily
> >>

> >>    -
> >>
> >>    a reduction in HTML size by 30-40%, achieved by storing page metadata
> >>    separately in RESTBase [2], and
> >>    -
> >>
> >>    storing (rather than caching) the HTML of all Wikipedia articles,
> >>    thus eliminating expensive cache misses.
> >>

> >> So far we have enabled this optimization on all Wikipedias. Other
> >> projects with VisualEditor support will follow over the next week. There
> >> are also a lot more optimizations in the pipeline. Eventually, we hope
> >> completely eliminate the need to re-load the page for editing by using
> the
> >> same Parsoid-generated HTML for regular page views.
> >>

> >> While many people helped to make RESTBase and the content API a reality
> >> (see the original announcement [1]), I want to specially call out Marko
> >> Obrovac for doing much of the integration work with MediaWiki and the
> >> VisualEditor extension.
> >>

> >> I hope that you enjoy the newly faster VisualEditor experience as much
> as
> >> we do!
> >>

> >> Sincerely --
> >>

> >> Gabriel Wicke
> >>

> >> Principal Software Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation
> >>

> >> [1]:
> >> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2015-March/081135.html
> >>
> >> [2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/RESTBase

> > Arthur Richards
> > Team Practices Manager
> > [[User:Awjrichards]]
> > IRC: awjr
> > +1-415-839-6885 x6687

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Gabriel Wicke-3
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Jared Zimmerman <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama?veaction=edit just loaded in 2
> seconds.

Much of this is also owed to *a lot* of optimization work in VisualEditor
over the last months. Plenty of ingenuity and hard work by the entire
VisualEditor team and Ori went into making this possible.

Cheers!

Gabriel

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Derk-Jan Hartman
Wow great work everyone, thank you for all the hard work to make this
happen.

DJ

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 1:14 AM, Gabriel Wicke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Jared Zimmerman <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama?veaction=edit just loaded in
> 2
> > seconds.
> >

> Much of this is also owed to *a lot* of optimization work in VisualEditor
> over the last months. Plenty of ingenuity and hard work by the entire
> VisualEditor team and Ori went into making this possible.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Gabriel

Re: [Wikitech] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Matthew Flaschen-2
On 03/19/2015 06:05 PM, Gabriel Wicke wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> *
> *
>
> Earlier this morning, we made some good progress towards a faster
> VisualEditor experience by loading the HTML
> fromhttps://rest.wikimedia.org/, the REST content API that entered beta
> production a bit over a week ago [1]. Preliminary data shows a drop of
> mean client HTML load times by close to 40% from about 1.9 seconds to
> 1.2 seconds.

This is great.  I look forward to using the new, even faster VE.

Matt Flaschen

Re: [Wikitech] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Jon Robson
Yes!!!
This is really exciting and I'm keen to start exploring this on mobile web.
Gabriel will you be running a session in Lyon around this? I'd be keen to
explore mobile web using this where possible (at least in our experimental
mode) and helping this api grow and mature further.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Matthew Flaschen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 03/19/2015 06:05 PM, Gabriel Wicke wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> *
>> *
>>
>> Earlier this morning, we made some good progress towards a faster
>> VisualEditor experience by loading the HTML
>> fromhttps://rest.wikimedia.org/, the REST content API that entered beta
>> production a bit over a week ago [1]. Preliminary data shows a drop of
>> mean client HTML load times by close to 40% from about 1.9 seconds to
>> 1.2 seconds.
>>

> This is great.  I look forward to using the new, even faster VE.
>
> Matt Flaschen

Jon Robson
* http://jonrobson.me.uk
* https://www.facebook.com/jonrobson
* @rakugojon

Re: [Wikitech] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

Gabriel Wicke-3
Jon,

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes!!!
> This is really exciting and I'm keen to start exploring this on mobile web.
> Gabriel will you be running a session in Lyon around this? I'd be keen to
> explore mobile web using this where possible (at least in our experimental
> mode) and helping this api grow and mature further.

we'll definitely have a session on https://rest.wikimedia.org and RESTBase
in Lyon. If things go to plan we should also have at least a prototype of
the HTML section edit API ready. Will make sure to keep you in the loop on
that as we start work on it.

Am looking forward to your ideas and feedback!

Gabriel

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

rupert THURNER-2
Fantastic, many thanks to all involved!!
On Mar 20, 2015 1:15 AM, "Gabriel Wicke" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Jared Zimmerman <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama?veaction=edit just loaded in
> 2
> > seconds.
> >

> Much of this is also owed to *a lot* of optimization work in VisualEditor
> over the last months. Plenty of ingenuity and hard work by the entire
> VisualEditor team and Ori went into making this possible.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Gabriel

Re: [Wmfall] VisualEditor on Wikipedia now faster with RESTBase

David Cuenca Tudela
It seems that the "Visual Editor age" can now be entered fully :)

Looking forward to the Wikisource adaptation of Visual Editor!

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 9:34 PM, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Fantastic, many thanks to all involved!!
> On Mar 20, 2015 1:15 AM, "Gabriel Wicke" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Jared Zimmerman <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama?veaction=edit just loaded
> in
> > 2
> > > seconds.
> > >

> > Much of this is also owed to *a lot* of optimization work in VisualEditor
> > over the last months. Plenty of ingenuity and hard work by the entire
> > VisualEditor team and Ori went into making this possible.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Gabriel

Etiamsi omnes, ego non