Volunteer translators: how to coordinate?

Volunteer translators: how to coordinate?

Andy Mabbett-2
Various projects (GLAM/ARkive, GLAM/TNA, etc) are asking for articles
to be translated into other languages.

Learning from GLAM/Derby, how can we make best use of people with time
to do such translations? Do we need a Wikipedia page where such
requests can be gathered? Currently, it's arduous to contact 280+
Wikipedias and make requests.

How can we reach out to language students (formal and leisure) and
teachers? Can we encourage the latter to set Wikipedia translations as
exercises for their students, instead of having them make redundant
translations of books or such like?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Volunteer translators: how to coordinate?

Tom Morris-5
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:20, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do we need a Wikipedia page where such requests can be gathered?

Meta provides what you want:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Volunteer translators: how to coordinate?

WereSpielChequers-2
At Wikimania I met a number of people who were keen to jump start their chapter or proto chapters' GLAM program by joining in with one of our GLAM events. So next time we have a British Museum style editathon workshop with curators I'm keen to get skype channels setup and online participation from around the world. The model I'm hoping to emulate is the V&A Tipu's Tiger event where lots of participants were in India.

WSC

On 16 September 2011 13:22, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:20, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do we need a Wikipedia page where such requests can be gathered?

Meta provides what you want:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Volunteer translators: how to coordinate?

Deryck Chan

And of course, not many translators actually watch the translation request page on meta.

So if it's a WMUK event, do post the translation request to this mailing list as well, and someone among us will jump in to help.

Deryck