Volunteers needed

Alex Peek
I am working on a project to duplicate a standardized economic report for
all 196 countries.

Here is the United States:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_the_United_States.

Here is China:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_China

Here is Japan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_Japan

Is there anybody who is willing to add more countries to the list and help
edit existing country reports? I am contacting professors around the world
in order to complete every country. I think the collaborative product would
be a great educational resource to the public.

The official project page is here with the list of other country reports:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Economic_Map#Proposal

Alex

Re: Volunteers needed

Magnus Manske-2
Why not wait until Wikidata has a "number" type, then generate these for
all countries with a bot?

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Alex Peek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am working on a project to duplicate a standardized economic report for
> all 196 countries.
>

> Here is the United States:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_the_United_States
> .
>
> Here is China:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_China
>
> Here is Japan:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_Japan
>
> Is there anybody who is willing to add more countries to the list and help
> edit existing country reports? I am contacting professors around the world
> in order to complete every country. I think the collaborative product would
> be a great educational resource to the public.
>
> The official project page is here with the list of other country reports:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Economic_Map#Proposal
>

> Alex

Re: Volunteers needed

Alex Peek
In my opinion, Wikidata and the Global Economic Map would complimentary
sister projects. The Global Economic Map provides a standardized format to
present economic information. Wikidata will help collect the data, but the
Global Economic Map is the best way to present economic data. It's similar
to Wikispecies in this regard. There should be a separate Wiki project to
map out economic information in the world.

Does this make senses?

Alex

On 17 April 2013 03:20, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why not wait until Wikidata has a "number" type, then generate these for
> all countries with a bot?
>

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Alex Peek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I am working on a project to duplicate a standardized economic report for
> > all 196 countries.
> >

> > Here is the United States:
> >
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_the_United_States
> > .
> >
> > Here is China:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_China
> >
> > Here is Japan:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_Japan
> >
> > Is there anybody who is willing to add more countries to the list and
> help
> > edit existing country reports? I am contacting professors around the
> world
> > in order to complete every country. I think the collaborative product
> would
> > be a great educational resource to the public.
> >
> > The official project page is here with the list of other country reports:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Economic_Map#Proposal
> >

> > Alex

Re: Volunteers needed

Magnus Manske-2
If all it does (and that would still be a lot!) is to aggregate and format
data from machine-readable sources like Wikidata, I don't see the point for
a project - some code can do that on its own just fine.

Now, the output needs to be designed, and the numbers need to be kept
up-to-date; at least the former will require humans at the wheel. What else
would have to be done by humans?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Alex Peek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my opinion, Wikidata and the Global Economic Map would complimentary
> sister projects. The Global Economic Map provides a standardized format to
> present economic information. Wikidata will help collect the data, but the
> Global Economic Map is the best way to present economic data. It's similar
> to Wikispecies in this regard. There should be a separate Wiki project to
> map out economic information in the world.
>
> Does this make senses?
>
> Alex
>

> On 17 April 2013 03:20, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Why not wait until Wikidata has a "number" type, then generate these for
> > all countries with a bot?
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Alex Peek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I am working on a project to duplicate a standardized economic report
> for
> > > all 196 countries.
> > >

> > > Here is the United States:
> > >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_the_United_States
> > > .
> > >
> > > Here is China:
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_China
> > >
> > > Here is Japan:
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_Japan
> > >
> > > Is there anybody who is willing to add more countries to the list and
> > help
> > > edit existing country reports? I am contacting professors around the
> > world
> > > in order to complete every country. I think the collaborative product
> > would
> > > be a great educational resource to the public.
> > >
> > > The official project page is here with the list of other country
> reports:
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Economic_Map#Proposal
> > >

> > > Alex

Re: Volunteers needed

Alex Peek
Hopefully coding will help the project retrieve for more data. Humans will
be important to retrieve data from hard to find places (government
publications, Google, etc.). I imagine that both humans and bots will help
edit the project.

The point of the project is to present economic information in a way that
is understandable to average human being. The project is designed to be
educational and simple. Economists can help determine better ways to
present the information too. The economy is such an important part of our
society and I believe it deserves it's own wiki project.

What do you mean by the 'output' needs to be designed?

On 17 April 2013 05:56, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If all it does (and that would still be a lot!) is to aggregate and format
> data from machine-readable sources like Wikidata, I don't see the point for
> a project - some code can do that on its own just fine.
>
> Now, the output needs to be designed, and the numbers need to be kept
> up-to-date; at least the former will require humans at the wheel. What else
> would have to be done by humans?
>

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Alex Peek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In my opinion, Wikidata and the Global Economic Map would complimentary
> > sister projects. The Global Economic Map provides a standardized format
> > present economic information. Wikidata will help collect the data, but
> the
> > Global Economic Map is the best way to present economic data. It's
> similar
> > to Wikispecies in this regard. There should be a separate Wiki project to
> > map out economic information in the world.
> >
> > Does this make senses?
> >
> > Alex
> >

> > On 17 April 2013 03:20, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Why not wait until Wikidata has a "number" type, then generate these
> for
> > > all countries with a bot?

> > for

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_the_United_States

> > > help
> > > world
> > > would

> > reports:

Re: Volunteers needed

Lydia Pintscher
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Alex Peek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What do you mean by the 'output' needs to be designed?

I think he means something like
http://toolserver.org/~magnus/ts2/reasonator/?q=Q1339 which gets its
data from http://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1339. Something similar can be
done for what you want to do very likely.

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

Re: Volunteers needed

Alex Peek
Thank you Lydia, the tool server is interesting. My main objection to the
Global Economic Map being included in Wikidata is because Wikidata is
designed to support other Wikimedia projects. The Global Economic Map has a
simple and easy to understand format that I believe would be lost if it
were added into Wikidata. Education is the top priority.

Am I making sense?