Voters

Turvey, Andrew
Voters

Thomas Dalton [hidden email] Wrote:
2008/9/15 Ian A. Holton <poeloq at gmail.com>:
> Just a quick question: who actually gets to vote?

The plan is to allow pretty much anyone that wants to to vote. The
election committee will give us the details soon, I imagine, but
anyone can add themselves as a potential member and there's no reason
not to allow all potential members to vote, so that means anyone can
vote. The only thing to be decided, I think, is whether or not to
impose a deadline on adding yourself to the membership list prior to
the election. I see little point in that myself, but it may make
things simpler for the committee.

====

Ultimately it is up to the election committee. This page here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Candidate_FAQs#What_are_the_election_rules.3F states that the voters are those people who signed their name as "guarantor members" or "supporters" but doesn't give a deadline for signing up and I can't remember where it came from anyway.

I suggest a deadline of 13 September so that we're encouraging people to sign up to participate, not just signing up to vote!

Regards,

Andrew Turvey

ALLIANCE & LEICESTER PLC - IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This communication, and the information it contains

a) is intended for the addressee named above and for no other person or

organisation, and

b) may be confidential and/or legally privileged and/or protected in law.

Access to this communication by anyone other than the addressee is

unauthorised. Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure of all or part of this communication

is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Unless the contrary is clear from its context, this communication does not create or modify any contract.

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately

by return e-mail and destroy all copies of this communication.

This communication may contain personal data. If so, you are required to observe the provisions of any relevant data protection legislation in any processing of such data.

Although this company has taken reasonable steps to ensure that this communication and any attachments are free from computer virus, you are advised to take your own steps to ensure that they are actually virus free.

Alliance & Leicester plc is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Our FSA register number is 189099.

Alliance & Leicester plc, Registered office : Carlton Park, Narborough,

Leicester LE19 0AL.

Company No: 3263713. Registered in England.

Re: Voters

James Hardy-2

2008/9/15 Turvey, Andrew <[hidden email]>

Thomas Dalton [hidden email] Wrote:
2008/9/15 Ian A. Holton <poeloq at gmail.com>:
> Just a quick question: who actually gets to vote?

The plan is to allow pretty much anyone that wants to to vote. The
election committee will give us the details soon, I imagine, but
anyone can add themselves as a potential member and there's no reason
not to allow all potential members to vote, so that means anyone can
vote. The only thing to be decided, I think, is whether or not to
impose a deadline on adding yourself to the membership list prior to
the election. I see little point in that myself, but it may make
things simpler for the committee.

====

Ultimately it is up to the election committee. This page here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Candidate_FAQs#What_are_the_election_rules.3F states that the voters are those people who signed their name as "guarantor members" or "supporters" but doesn't give a deadline for signing up and I can't remember where it came from anyway.

I suggest a deadline of 13 September so that we're encouraging people to sign up to participate, not just signing up to vote!

Regards,

Andrew Turvey

Given that the 13th September is three days ago, I would strongly object. I have only just got round to adding my name and would like to participate. It is not even remotely fair to retroactively limit the electorate in the way you suggest. I agree a deadline could be useful, but it should be discussed or at least announced in *advance* of the cut-off date.

James Hardy
MrWeeble

Re: Voters

Mike Peel
How about we set the 19th September as the deadline for guarantor
members and supporters that can vote? I say that date because it is
the day before voting starts, according to the current timetable.

Mike

On 16 Sep 2008, at 19:29, James Hardy wrote:

> 2008/9/15 Turvey, Andrew <[hidden email]>
> Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com Wrote:
> 2008/9/15 Ian A. Holton <poeloq at gmail.com>:
> > Just a quick question: who actually gets to vote?
>
> The plan is to allow pretty much anyone that wants to to vote. The
> election committee will give us the details soon, I imagine, but
> anyone can add themselves as a potential member and there's no reason
> not to allow all potential members to vote, so that means anyone can
> vote. The only thing to be decided, I think, is whether or not to
> impose a deadline on adding yourself to the membership list prior to
> the election. I see little point in that myself, but it may make
> things simpler for the committee.
>
> ====
>
> Ultimately it is up to the election committee. This page here:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/
> Candidate_FAQs#What_are_the_election_rules.3F states that the
> voters are those people who signed their name as "guarantor
> members" or "supporters" but doesn't give a deadline for signing up
> and I can't remember where it came from anyway.
>
> I suggest a deadline of 13 September so that we're encouraging
> people to sign up to participate, not just signing up to vote!
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew Turvey
>
> Given that the 13th September is three days ago, I would strongly
> object. I have only just got round to adding my name and would like
> to participate. It is not even remotely fair to retroactively limit
> the electorate in the way you suggest. I agree a deadline could be
> useful, but it should be discussed or at least announced in
> *advance* of the cut-off date.
>
> James Hardy
> MrWeeble

Re: Voters

Andrew Gray
2008/9/16 James Hardy <[hidden email]>:

> 2008/9/15 Turvey, Andrew <[hidden email]>

>> I suggest a deadline of 13 September so that we're encouraging people to
>> sign up to participate, not just signing up to vote!
>
> Given that the 13th September is three days ago, I would strongly object. I
> have only just got round to adding my name and would like to participate. It
> is not even remotely fair to retroactively limit the electorate in the way
> you suggest. I agree a deadline could be useful, but it should be discussed
> or at least announced in *advance* of the cut-off date.

FWIW, I've only just realised this isn't the same as the original list
of interested parties here:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK/People_interested_in_supporting_a_local_chapter

I won't cry myself to sleep at night for not getting to vote, but...

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Voters

geni

2008/9/16 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>
How about we set the 19th September as the deadline for guarantor
members and supporters that can vote? I say that date because it is
the day before voting starts, according to the current timetable.

Mike

That is broadly speaking the currently plan yes. Obviously if we get a large number of people appearing with no apparent connection to the UK (live there, have lived there for reasonable periods, UK subject that kinda thing) steps may have to be taken.

--
geni

ScribblewikiLove(r)

Mike Peel
All,

[[meta:User:MaxSem]] has removed [[meta:User:ScribblewikiLover]] from
the list of board candidates, saying "rm troll". On
ScribblewikiLover's talk page he says that "This user is blocked
because he is a checkuser-confirmed sockpuppet of
[[:en:User:Chris19910]] and had a few socks blocked on Meta."

I don't know what to say to this... Does anyone know anything more
about this apparent saga? (presumably he was checkuser'd for a reason?)

Mike

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Katie Chan
[[meta:User:Cometstyles]] has unblocked [[meta:User:ScribblewikiLover]]
for the reasons "user running for UK Board, would need it for
[[meta:Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Candidate_statements#ScribblewikiLover|this]]".

KTC

  - Heinrich Heine

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

David Gerard-2
2008/9/18 Kwan Ting Chan <[hidden email]>:

> [[meta:User:Cometstyles]] has unblocked [[meta:User:ScribblewikiLover]]
> for the reasons "user running for UK Board, would need it for
> [[meta:Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Candidate_statements#ScribblewikiLover|this]]".

Wheel wars are unseemly. Leave it unless and until he actually
vandalises Meta or is socking there or something.

- d.