WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Maximilian Klein
Hello All,

As you might know WMF has an Open Access Policy that requires all work that they fund to be Open Access[1]. A strange consequence of this policy, that I recently ran into, is that it requires researchers funded by grants to publish OA -- but without providing any funding to do so. That is, I recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA publishing.

Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Stuart A. Yeates
There are many open access journals which do not charge fees or any description.  See http://www.opendoar.org/ or talk to a friendly librarian to find a journal that meets your needs.

cheers
stuart

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Maximilian Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello All,

As you might know WMF has an Open Access Policy that requires all work that they fund to be Open Access[1]. A strange consequence of this policy, that I recently ran into, is that it requires researchers funded by grants to publish OA -- but without providing any funding to do so. That is, I recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA publishing.

Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Piotr Konieczny-2

The problem is that most of those are not indexed in top tier indexes. For example, my career requires me to publish in SSCI index, and in my field, sociology, do you know how many out of ~120 journals indexed in SSCI are green open access? Zero.

WMF grants exist to make research easier, but they also should take into consideration the realities of academic publishing. Personally, I hate to think that my research goes to support parasites like Elsevier and their ilk, but if I publish in the green open access journals I respect, well, my evaluation from the university bureaucrats will not be very respectful to me. So publishing my wiki research in such venues is not an option.

Of course, you may say that in such case I should not ask for WMF grants at all, but I do not think that we should penalize researchers who are in fields like sociology - it is not their fault that the OA movement hasn't made much inroads in their field (well, it is, to some degree, but that's going OT). Bottom line is that WMF grants should support research and its dissemination in what is seen as quality journals and  related outlets, too.

--

Piotr Konieczny, PhD
http://hanyang.academia.edu/PiotrKonieczny
On 6/29/2016 11:01, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:
[...]

Ward Cunningham
As a casual reader of this list would it be foolish of me to suggest that you seek funding from a variety of sources and publish the results in a variety of journals? Your methodological skills and depth of personal insight would carry over between academic reality and the open ideal, no?

Best regards -- Ward

On Jun 28, 2016, at 10:38 PM, Piotr Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem is that most of those are not indexed in top tier indexes. For example, my career requires me to publish in SSCI index, and in my field, sociology, do you know how many out of ~120 journals indexed in SSCI are green open access? Zero.
> WMF grants exist to make research easier, but they also should take into consideration the realities of academic publishing. Personally, I hate to think that my research goes to support parasites like Elsevier and their ilk, but if I publish in the green open access journals I respect, well, my evaluation from the university bureaucrats will not be very respectful to me. So publishing my wiki research in such venues is not an option.
>
> Of course, you may say that in such case I should not ask for WMF grants at all, but I do not think that we should penalize researchers who are in fields like sociology - it is not their fault that the OA movement hasn't made much inroads in their field (well, it is, to some degree, but that's going OT). Bottom line is that WMF grants should support research and its dissemination in what is seen as quality journals and  related outlets, too.
> --
>
> Piotr Konieczny, PhD
>
> http://hanyang.academia.edu/PiotrKonieczny
> http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=gdV8_AEAAAAJ
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Piotrus
> On 6/29/2016 11:01, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:
>> There are many open access journals which do not charge fees or any description.  See http://www.opendoar.org/ or talk to a friendly librarian to find a journal that meets your needs.
>>
>> cheers
>> stuart
>>
>> --
>> ...let us be heard from red core to black sky
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Maximilian Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> As you might know WMF has an Open Access Policy that requires all work that they fund to be Open Access[1]. A strange consequence of this policy, that I recently ran into, is that it requires researchers funded by grants to publish OA -- but without providing any funding to do so. That is, I recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA publishing.
>>
>> Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?
>>
>> [1] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Open_access_policy
>> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/WIGI:_Wikipedia_Gender_Index#Activities
>>
>> Make a great day,
>> Max Klein ‽ http://notconfusing.com/

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
what Piotr wrote. If you're a scholar at a research-driven institution, the chances are you are required to publish in SSCI (JCR) journals. The typical OA fees for the journals listed there are 1,000-2,000 USD.

dj

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Maximilian Klein <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
Hello All,

As you might know WMF has an Open Access Policy that requires all work that they fund to be Open Access[1]. A strange consequence of this policy, that I recently ran into, is that it requires researchers funded by grants to publish OA -- but without providing any funding to do so. That is, I recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA publishing.

Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?

__________________________
prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
i grupy badawczej NeRDS
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://nwrds.kozminski.edu.pl

członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk

Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Recenzje

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Yaroslav M. Blanter
Dariusz Jemielniak писал 2016-06-29 15:58:
> what Piotr wrote. If you're a scholar at a research-driven
> institution, the chances are you are required to publish in SSCI (JCR)
> journals. The typical OA fees for the journals listed there are
> 1,000-2,000 USD.
>
> dj

Absolutely, we have the same (my field is physics). Some of our top
journals are OA, the fees start from Eur 1000, and it is our
responsibility to find funding.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

James Salsman-2
Max, this advise is very good:

> On 6/29/2016 11:01, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:
>
> There are many open access journals which do not charge fees or any
> description.  See http://www.opendoar.org/ or talk to a friendly
> librarian to find a journal that meets your needs.

Please see also Table 5 on p. 1320 (PDF p. 6) in
http://octavia.zoology.washington.edu/publications/WestEtAl14.pdf

That suggests the Journal of Machine Learning Research may be a good
high-impact, zero-fee choice, if appropriate.

There are alternatives by the same authors at
http://www.eigenfactor.org/openaccess/oa.php?catid=50&pt=0
in particular, College and Research Libraries and the Journal of the
Medical Library Association, if appropriate.

http://www.eigenfactor.org/openaccess/oa.php?catid=29&pt=0
has another bunch, such as the Journal of Educational Research.

http://www.eigenfactor.org/openaccess/oa.php?catid=129&pt=0
suggests Computational Linguistics.

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Jonathan Morgan
Max,

This is an issue that I anticipated and feared when we developed the new OA policy (I wasn't directly involved in the development or implementation of said policy).

I don't think you're completely on your own though. Dario's on vacation this week, but I'll make sure to follow up with him as soon as he's back; I bet we can help out here.

Jonathan

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Maximilian Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello All,

As you might know WMF has an Open Access Policy that requires all work that they fund to be Open Access[1]. A strange consequence of this policy, that I recently ran into, is that it requires researchers funded by grants to publish OA -- but without providing any funding to do so. That is, I recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA publishing.

Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Pine W
Thanks Jonathan.

Max, just a question. Where were you told that "the paper was under the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA publishing."? This sounds like something that may need some additional thought from Grantmaking. I looked for a discussion on the WGI talk page but that discussion isn't there. I'm too stretched with other commitments to escalate this issue myself, but if the combination of issues is as described in this email thread then this issue might be good for Grantmaking to consider in light of the bigger picture.

Thanks,

Pine

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Maximilian Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello All,

As you might know WMF has an Open Access Policy that requires all work that they fund to be Open Access[1]. A strange consequence of this policy, that I recently ran into, is that it requires researchers funded by grants to publish OA -- but without providing any funding to do so. That is, I recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA publishing.

Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Sydney Poore
Hi Max,

This issue was discussed in the context of a paper about Wikipedia working with medical students in the classroom.

See the talk page and endorsements for the discussion that led to the grant being approved. .

Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wiki Project Med Foundation
WikiWomen's User Group

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Maximilian Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello All,

As you might know WMF has an Open Access Policy that requires all work that they fund to be Open Access[1]. A strange consequence of this policy, that I recently ran into, is that it requires researchers funded by grants to publish OA -- but without providing any funding to do so. That is, I recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA publishing.

Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Jonathan Morgan
Thanks, Sydney and Pine.

This is timely, as Resources is currently re-vamping their instructions for grant proposals (including research-focused grants). So it's a good time to hammer out our policy and process here.

Max: if you're willing to ping me off-list and relate some of the details of your conversation, that will help me follow up on the particular issue you're facing right now.

I want this to be clear and easy for grantees going forward—if WMF is funding research, we should be prepared to support the dissemination of that research in a way that aligns with our values. In the future, I would like to see grantees budget anticipated OA fees into their requests, and a process for vetting this during the proposal review period.

I know there has been some conversation between Research and Resources around this issue in the past, but I don't know if there were decisions made... more likely I'll need to start it back up again. We're all still working out the kinks in the OA policy (even staff researchers are trying to understand the ramifications for our work).

I'll make sure to notify this list when I learn more.

Jonathan

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Daniel Mietchen
Dear all,

this situation was actually discussed in detail when the policy was
drafted, and it is reflected in two parts of the policy:
- Under "C. Published Materials. Researchers will publish any output
in an Open Access outlet under a Free License.", it states
"If a work based on the project is accepted for publication in a peer
reviewed outlet that does not make its articles available online, free
of charge, and under free licenses, an electronic copy of the author’s
accepted manuscript will be submitted to a public and permanently
archived repository by the official date of publication, without any
embargo period, and released under a Free License." ==> This basically
means you can publish in closed-access journals, as long as you make a
pre- or postprint openly available.
- Under "2. Limited waiver", it states
"Specific waivers from the expectations above may be applied in
limited circumstances on a case-by-case basis. Researchers wanting a
waiver are required to submit to the Wikimedia Foundation, in writing,
a detailed explanation of why they require the waiver. The Wikimedia
Foundation will publicly post a summary of the request and its
response. "

This is also covered in the FAQ, part D, along with limited funding options (cf.
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Open_access_policy/FAQ ).

Cheers,
d.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope
>>> was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF
>>> to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under
>>> the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA
>>> publishing.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?
>>>
>>> [1] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Open_access_policy
>>> [2]
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/WIGI:_Wikipedia_Gender_Index#Activities
>>>
>>> Make a great day,
>>> Max Klein ‽ http://notconfusing.com/

> Jonathan T. Morgan
> Senior Design Researcher
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Jmorgan (WMF)

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the information. There are still aspects of implementation that are unclear to me, and perhaps for others as well. Please see below.

Best,
Jonathan

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Daniel Mietchen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

this situation was actually discussed in detail when the policy was
drafted, and it is reflected in two parts of the policy:
- Under "C. Published Materials. Researchers will publish any output
in an Open Access outlet under a Free License.", it states
"If a work based on the project is accepted for publication in a peer
reviewed outlet that does not make its articles available online, free
of charge, and under free licenses, an electronic copy of the author’s
accepted manuscript will be submitted to a public and permanently
archived repository by the official date of publication, without any
embargo period, and released under a Free License." ==> This basically
means you can publish in closed-access journals, as long as you make a
pre- or postprint openly available.

Any pointers on what consistutes a pre-print? Perhaps Aaron Halfaker can speak to this. I know he went through this dance with SAGE for the Rise and Decline paper.

- Under "2. Limited waiver", it states
"Specific waivers from the expectations above may be applied in
limited circumstances on a case-by-case basis. Researchers wanting a
waiver are required to submit to the Wikimedia Foundation, in writing,
a detailed explanation of why they require the waiver. The Wikimedia
Foundation will publicly post a summary of the request and its
response. "

Who at WMF should these waivers be submitted to? Who reviews and responds? What are the consequences if the exemption is not granted?

> [...]

>> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Maximilian Klein <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> As you might know WMF has an Open Access Policy that requires all work
>>> that they fund to be Open Access[1]. A strange consequence of this policy,
>>> that I recently ran into, is that it requires researchers funded by grants
>>> to publish OA -- but without providing any funding to do so. That is, I
>>> recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope
>>> was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF
>>> to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under
>>> the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA
>>> publishing.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Piotr Konieczny-2

I totally agree with "I want this to be clear and easy for grantees going forward—if WMF is funding research, we should be prepared to support the dissemination of that research in a way that aligns with our values. In the future, I would like to see grantees budget anticipated OA fees into their requests, and a process for vetting this during the proposal review period. "

If you get money from WMF, you should publish in OA, and part of that WMF money should be used for exactly that. This should be clearly understood, explained, and budgeted for from the very start. Problem solved.

--

On 6/30/2016 05:17, Jonathan Morgan wrote:
[...]

Leila Zia
​Hi Daniel,​

[...]

​To clarify: Under the OA policy you are expected to publish the post-print version, and if you cannot, you should ask for a limited waiver. This is explained in Section D, Question 1 in the FAQ.

​Best,
​Leila​

> [...]

>>> recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope
>>> was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF
>>> to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under
>>> the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA
>>> publishing.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?
>>>
>>> [1] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Open_access_policy
>>> [2]
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/WIGI:_Wikipedia_Gender_Index#Activities
>>>
>>> Make a great day,
>>> Max Klein ‽ http://notconfusing.com/

> Jonathan T. Morgan
> Senior Design Researcher
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Jmorgan (WMF)

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Hi all,

Just a note to re-acknowledge that we have received the questions on this thread and you should expect a response from us by Friday, July 8.

Max, if you are working against a deadline that cannot wait until July 8, please ping me off-list and I'm happy to chat with you more about it.

Best,
Leila

--
Leila Zia
Research Scientist

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:
​Hi Daniel,​

> [...]

>>> recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope
>>> was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF
>>> to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under
>>> the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA
>>> publishing.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?
>>>
>>> [1] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Open_access_policy
>>> [2]
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/WIGI:_Wikipedia_Gender_Index#Activities
>>>
>>> Make a great day,
>>> Max Klein ‽ http://notconfusing.com/

> Jonathan T. Morgan
> Senior Design Researcher
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Jmorgan (WMF)

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Since we haven't sent a response on the thread for now, I'll share what I know and hopefully we can continue the discussion.

Here are few questions I could gather from the discussions on this thread:

* Do we have a definition for pre-print?
We have a working definition but this is not documented anywhere mostly because the OA policy encourages the publication of post-print, and not pre-print: Section D of the FAQ says: "We encourage all authors to deposit post-print manuscripts when possible." and that if the author(s) are going with pre-print (think about it as anything other than post-print), they should apply for the waiver. We have made a note to define and add it, probably to the FAQ.

* Do the WMF grants cover the OA fees?
This question is best answered by Kacie.
My understanding as a researcher working with her is the following: Starting some time in winter 2016, when we consider funding research through grants, we want to ensure that we have funding to support the publication of research that is subject to the OA policy before providing funding. I'm not sure what the situation is for grants approved before this rough time.

* Can one apply for WMF grants to cover OA fees for a research that was not funded by WMF but is about Wikimedia projects?
Again, Kacie will be the person who can give the definitive response here. When we discussed this last few months ago, the conclusion was that we don't want to enter this area for now, given that there is at least one constraint and that is the budget for grants, and given this constraint, we want to make sure we work with those who we give grants to, to make sure their work is licensed in a way compatible with the OA policy.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Leila

Leila Zia
Research Scientist
Wikimedia Foundation

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> recently completed an Individual Engagement Grant (IEG), part of whose scope
>>> was explicitly to write a paper about the work[2], and when I wrote to WMF
>>> to acquire funds for OA publishing, they confirmed that the paper was under
>>> the OA mandate but indicated that funds were not available to pay for OA
>>> publishing.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else use WMF's Open Access Policy?  What was your experience?
>>>
>>> [1] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Open_access_policy
>>> [2]
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/WIGI:_Wikipedia_Gender_Index#Activities
>>>
>>> Make a great day,
>>> Max Klein ‽ http://notconfusing.com/

> Jonathan T. Morgan
> Senior Design Researcher
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Jmorgan (WMF)

Re: WMF Open Access Policy and Independent Researchers

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Piotr Konieczny, 29/06/2016 07:38:
> The problem is that most of those are not indexed in top tier indexes.
> For example, my career requires me to publish in SSCI index, and in my
> field, sociology, do you know how many out of ~120 journals indexed in
> SSCI are green open access? Zero.

Uh? I sampled a few journals from
http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/cgi-bin/jrnlst/jlresults.cgi?PC=SS&SC=XA
and all of them allowed green OA (according to
http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/search.php ). Maybe you meant that none of
them is gold OA?

Reminder:
https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/hoap/How_to_make_your_own_work_open_access