WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

thekohser
It would appear that the Wikimedia Foundation is actively seeking to sub-let
some of its office space?

http://akahele.org/2009/09/wikimedia-foundation-subletting-space/

That's curious, considering they had "outgrown" space in January 2009, such
that they needed to shuttle Ruth and Frank Stanton's money over to Wikia's
accounts receivable to expand their footprint.  Sue Gardner, Jimmy Wales,
Michael Snow... someone please set us straight!  Comment on the blog that
scooped this story!

--
Gregory Kohs

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
What would be more obvious then looking for other premises when the current
ones are no longer sufficient.. Gee.. hiring new premises .. with sufficient
elbow room for some time ??
I wonder.. Gee Gregory, you already mentioned that ... are they really
looking for something new ? Then again, I am not asked to answer your query
am I ..
Thanks,
      GerardM

Gerard "Hoi" Meijssen writes:

++++++++++
What would be more obvious then looking for other premises when the current
ones are no longer sufficient.. Gee.. hiring new premises .. with sufficient
elbow room for some time ??
I wonder.. Gee Gregory, you already mentioned that ... are they really
looking for something new ? Then again, I am not asked to answer your query
am I ..
Thanks,
      GerardM
++++++++++

Sometimes, Gerard, your inability to comprehend even the most basic of
principles, such as how a sub-lease works, is amusing and endearing.

This may help you:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublease

I'm afraid there's no "Simple English Wikipedia" article to assist you further.

It may be in your own best interest to refrain from any further
commentary on this thread and leave discussion to those of us who
understand basic property management fundamentals.

Another possible explanation for what's happening at the WMF HQ is
that the whole operation is preparing to move to new digs, and rather
than break their lease, they're seeking to find a subtenant to avoid
some financial penalty for early exit.  I sort of set that aside,
because I would have expected an "open" and "transparent" organization
such as the WMF to have announced at some point that they were looking
for an entirely different office home.

We'll have clarification when Sue or Jimbo or Michael or Erik or Kat
or some other WMF'er responds.  Probably best that we just wait for
some "official" explanation, rather than continue speculating about
elbow room, which is what seems to be a problem, not a benefit.

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Dennis During
Perhaps you could direct me to the WP article that explains why should they
handicap themselves in any negotiations by making a public commitment to a
future action. Maybe the landlord has pledged not to peek at this list? Or
maybe the cunning folks at WMF have so many sock-puppet floating different
stories that the landlord no longer pays any attention. (See *Bodyguard of
Lies*.)

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Gregory Kohs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gerard "Hoi" Meijssen writes:
>
> ++++++++++
> What would be more obvious then looking for other premises when the current
> ones are no longer sufficient.. Gee.. hiring new premises .. with
> sufficient
> elbow room for some time ??
> I wonder.. Gee Gregory, you already mentioned that ... are they really
> looking for something new ? Then again, I am not asked to answer your query
> am I ..
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
> ++++++++++
>
> Sometimes, Gerard, your inability to comprehend even the most basic of
> principles, such as how a sub-lease works, is amusing and endearing.
>
> This may help you:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublease
>
> I'm afraid there's no "Simple English Wikipedia" article to assist you
> further.
>
> It may be in your own best interest to refrain from any further
> commentary on this thread and leave discussion to those of us who
> understand basic property management fundamentals.
>
> Another possible explanation for what's happening at the WMF HQ is
> that the whole operation is preparing to move to new digs, and rather
> than break their lease, they're seeking to find a subtenant to avoid
> some financial penalty for early exit.  I sort of set that aside,
> because I would have expected an "open" and "transparent" organization
> such as the WMF to have announced at some point that they were looking
> for an entirely different office home.
>
> We'll have clarification when Sue or Jimbo or Michael or Erik or Kat
> or some other WMF'er responds.  Probably best that we just wait for
> some "official" explanation, rather than continue speculating about
> elbow room, which is what seems to be a problem, not a benefit.

Dennis C. During

Cynolatry is tolerant so long as the dog is not denied an equal divinity
with the deities of other faiths. - Ambrose Bierce

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cynolatry

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

geni
2009/9/4 Gregory Kohs <[hidden email]>:

> It would appear that the Wikimedia Foundation is actively seeking to sub-let
> some of its office space?
>
> http://akahele.org/2009/09/wikimedia-foundation-subletting-space/
>
> That's curious, considering they had "outgrown" space in January 2009, such
> that they needed to shuttle Ruth and Frank Stanton's money over to Wikia's
> accounts receivable to expand their footprint.  Sue Gardner, Jimmy Wales,
> Michael Snow... someone please set us straight!  Comment on the blog that
> scooped this story!

Nice try. Problems:
1)I don't think the WMF is the only occupant of the building
2)The amount described is pretty much consistent with the WMF's entire
office there which means if it was the WMF subletting it is more
consistent with a general move.

--
geni

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Erik Moeller-4
2009/9/4 geni <[hidden email]>:
> 2)The amount described is pretty much consistent with the WMF's entire
> office there which means if it was the WMF subletting it is more
> consistent with a general move.

Yes, as noted in our 09-10 plan, we are relocating to a new space, as
a consequence of which the current satellite office will be re-merged
into the new HQ. We're hoping to sublet the Stillman space, once we've
covered up the entrance to our secret underground lair of doom and
despair, and removed all artifacts of alien technology.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Anthony-73
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/9/4 geni <[hidden email]>:
> > 2)The amount described is pretty much consistent with the WMF's entire
> > office there which means if it was the WMF subletting it is more
> > consistent with a general move.
>
> Yes, as noted in our 09-10 plan, we are relocating to a new space, as
> a consequence of which the current satellite office will be re-merged
> into the new HQ. We're hoping to sublet the Stillman space, once we've
> covered up the entrance to our secret underground lair of doom and
> despair, and removed all artifacts of alien technology.

Huh?

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Brian J Mingus
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 2009/9/4 geni <[hidden email]>:
> > > 2)The amount described is pretty much consistent with the WMF's entire
> > > office there which means if it was the WMF subletting it is more
> > > consistent with a general move.
> >
> > Yes, as noted in our 09-10 plan, we are relocating to a new space, as
> > a consequence of which the current satellite office will be re-merged
> > into the new HQ. We're hoping to sublet the Stillman space, once we've
> > covered up the entrance to our secret underground lair of doom and
> > despair, and removed all artifacts of alien technology.
>

> Huh?

Is that really a useful contribution to a discussion?

2009/9/4 Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:

> Yes, as noted in our 09-10 plan, we are relocating to a new space, as
> a consequence of which the current satellite office will be re-merged
> into the new HQ. We're hoping to sublet the Stillman space, once we've
> covered up the entrance to our secret underground lair of doom and
> despair, and removed all artifacts of alien technology.

Godommit, Fronk, you were only meant to reveal that on WR, where
people might believe it! Now people will think you're just joking, and
that I am too. How are we supposed to get a good price to benefit
Wikia *now*?

- d.

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> entire
> > >
> > > Yes, as noted in our 09-10 plan, we are relocating to a new space, as
> > > a consequence of which the current satellite office will be re-merged
> > > into the new HQ. We're hoping to sublet the Stillman space, once we've
> > > covered up the entrance to our secret underground lair of doom and
> > > despair, and removed all artifacts of alien technology.
> >

> > Huh?
> >

> Is that really a useful contribution to a discussion?

I think it was.  It succinctly expressed the fact that Erik's comment made
no sense whatsoever. Why waste all those words when a simple "Huh?" does the
trick?

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Chad
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM, David Gerard<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/9/4 Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Yes, as noted in our 09-10 plan, we are relocating to a new space, as
>> a consequence of which the current satellite office will be re-merged
>> into the new HQ. We're hoping to sublet the Stillman space, once we've
>> covered up the entrance to our secret underground lair of doom and
>> despair, and removed all artifacts of alien technology.
>

> Godommit, Fronk, you were only meant to reveal that on WR, where
> people might believe it! Now people will think you're just joking, and
> that I am too. How are we supposed to get a good price to benefit
> Wikia *now*?
>

> - d.

I'm guessing this means our inside guys at the DOJ and DOD have
done their jobs and can be disposed of now?

I'll be on the next plane to Bangkok to meet with our friend about the
thing.

-Chad

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Anthony-73
By the way, the rest of your "quotes" were misquotes, as I followed up my
other "Huh"s with a comment.
But in this case, I felt it was more courteous to ask Erik to clarify his
comment rather than for me to try to guess what he meant by it.

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Anthony<[hidden email]> wrote:
> By the way, the rest of your "quotes" were misquotes, as I followed up my
> other "Huh"s with a comment.
> But in this case, I felt it was more courteous to ask Erik to clarify his
> comment rather than for me to try to guess what he meant by it.

"Yes, as noted in our 09-10 plan, we are relocating to a new space, as
a consequence of which the current satellite office will be re-merged
into the new HQ. We're hoping to sublet the Stillman space..."

This part was serious (I think).

"...once we've covered up the entrance to our secret underground lair
of doom and
despair, and removed all artifacts of alien technology."

This part was a joke (I think). Specifically, he was joking about some people's
tendencies to find conspiracy theories when none exist.

-Chad

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Yes, as noted in our 09-10 plan, we are relocating to a new space, as
> a consequence of which the current satellite office will be re-merged
> into the new HQ. We're hoping to sublet the Stillman space..."
>
> This part was serious (I think).

I think so too, but I'd rather hear it from Erik than hear your guess or
guess at it myself.

> "...once we've covered up the entrance to our secret underground lair
> of doom and
> despair, and removed all artifacts of alien technology."
>
> This part was a joke (I think). Specifically, he was joking about some
> people's
> tendencies to find conspiracy theories when none exist.

Right, yeah, that part was a joke, but does that mean the part about "hoping
to sublet the Stillman space" was, serious, a joke, something else?  It was
an incredibly unprofessional answer.  Unless the WMF's purpose is to confuse
the issue, it should come up with a serious response.

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Tim Starling-2
Anthony wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "Yes, as noted in our 09-10 plan, we are relocating to a new space, as
>> a consequence of which the current satellite office will be re-merged
>> into the new HQ. We're hoping to sublet the Stillman space..."
>>
>> This part was serious (I think).
>>

> I think so too, but I'd rather hear it from Erik than hear your guess or
> guess at it myself.
>

>> "...once we've covered up the entrance to our secret underground lair
>> of doom and
>> despair, and removed all artifacts of alien technology."
>>
>> This part was a joke (I think). Specifically, he was joking about some
>> people's
>> tendencies to find conspiracy theories when none exist.
>

> Right, yeah, that part was a joke, but does that mean the part about "hoping
> to sublet the Stillman space" was, serious, a joke, something else?  It was
> an incredibly unprofessional answer.  Unless the WMF's purpose is to confuse
> the issue, it should come up with a serious response.

Chad's analysis was correct. The SF staff have been looking for a new
office for some time, and last I heard they were in the process of
negotiating a lease on a prospective space. Subletting the old office
will be desirable at least until the lease there expires.

-- Tim Starling

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Chad's analysis was correct. The SF staff have been looking for a new
> office for some time, and last I heard they were in the process of
> negotiating a lease on a prospective space. Subletting the old office
> will be desirable at least until the lease there expires.

Thanks, I also see it was in the annual report that you're moving from the
3,000 sq ft place to an 11,000 sq ft one.  I had been told (incorrectly)
that the 3,000 sq ft was only a portion of the Stillman location, but after
reading that this makes sense.  Is the staff currently using the Wikia
sublease space going to move too?

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Brion Vibber-3
On 9/4/09 3:27 PM, Anthony wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Tim Starling<[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>> Chad's analysis was correct. The SF staff have been looking for a new
>> office for some time, and last I heard they were in the process of
>> negotiating a lease on a prospective space. Subletting the old office
>> will be desirable at least until the lease there expires.
>>

> Thanks, I also see it was in the annual report that you're moving from the
> 3,000 sq ft place to an 11,000 sq ft one.  I had been told (incorrectly)
> that the 3,000 sq ft was only a portion of the Stillman location, but after
> reading that this makes sense.

The building we are currently in is physically subdivided into two
spaces. Wikimedia occupies one part (3,000 sq ft) and another company
occupies the other (I'm unsure the exact size, but it's larger than ours).

> Is the staff currently using the Wikia
> sublease space going to move too?

Yes; the purpose of finding a larger space is to have enough room for
our current and forseeable future staff.

-- brion

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

M. Williamson
On 9/4/09, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think so too, but I'd rather hear it from Erik than hear your guess or
> guess at it myself.

I'd rather go through a thread without seeing a one-word message
indicating bewilderment at what was quite obviouisly a joke... but
then, the world revolves around me about as much as it revolves around
you (=not at all).

Mark

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/4/09, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think so too, but I'd rather hear it from Erik than hear your guess or
> > guess at it myself.
>
> I'd rather go through a thread without seeing a one-word message
> indicating bewilderment at what was quite obviouisly a joke...

Sorry about the one line response.  Can we move on now?

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

thekohser
So, not having known that 3,000 square feet was the sum total of the
current WMF space on Stillman, my original but unpublished hunch was
correct.  I'll quote an e-mail I wrote Sept. 3rd, at 4:39 PM:

"...If I had to formulate a theory, I'd say [Sue Gardner] thinks that
she's hired enough [personnel] that they now have the gravitas to move
into a new, bigger place of their own in San Francisco.  Stillman
Street was initially held up as a 'starter' home in San Francisco, so
this is just the logical next step now that grant money is pouring
in."

A little bird suggested I ask if the Foundation will be filing a Form
990-T once it finds a tenant, as it would be a business activity over
$1,000 unrelated to a non-profit mission and would thus possibly
trigger IRS rules regarding Unrelated Business Income Tax (which are
rather strict).  Among other things, the 990-T is a public form, so it
would force the Foundation to disclose further information on its
operations.

Then again, Wikipedia offers a very curious, opinion-based "original
research" assessment of this factor here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unrelated_Business_Income_Tax#UBIT_in_an_IRA

"This is possibly a myth."

The sum of human knowledge, folks.

--