WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Michael Snow-3
Sage Ross wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Domas Mituzas<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Gerard,
>>
>>> Remember, the Signpost is an en.wp publication. It is not really the
>>> place
>>> to announce such things.
>>>
>> it is up for Signpost editors if they want to include it or not. Not
>> your business :)
>>
>> BR,
>>
> I guess I shouldn't have stopped reading this thread so early on.
>
> I wrote "News and notes" this week but I didn't end up mentioning the
> sub-lease/move in this week's Signpost because it just didn't seem
> very important. But I do consider it part of the Signpost's mission to
> report on Foundation matters, and more than that, to help push for WMF
> transparency and accountability to the community.
>
> I don't like the idea that what the Signpost does is "our" business
> and not "your" business, for various intracommunity values of us and
> you.  Despite being based on en.wp, we're trying to become more useful
> to the broader Wikimedia community/communities.  (To that end,
> OhanaUnited is reviving the Sister Project Interviews series:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:OhanaUnited/Sister_Projects_Interview
> .  And both news reports from other projects and reflective pieces
> about what it's like to work on individual non-English projects versus
> their English counterparts are very welcome.)
>
> The "we" of the Signpost is anyone from the Wikimedia community who
> wants to contribute.

Just to chime in, figuring my perspective from the early days of the
Signpost might be useful. From the beginning I knew that we had people
reading from outside the English Wikipedia, and there's always been
interest in building off that framework for cross-project exchange of
news, whether it's the English-speaking audience learning about the work
in other languages, or getting news from English out to those languages.
That was, is, and should always be encouraged.

This simply reflects that the Signpost is for the benefit of the
community, however broadly that may be defined, and should look to that
for guidance in its coverage. In that sense, if Gerard reads the
Signpost, it is his business what he wants to hear about. I would hope
that was mostly focused on making it more thorough and comprehensive,
though. Strictly speaking it's correct that the Signpost is not the
place for us (in this case, "us" meaning the Wikimedia Foundation) to
announce things, because it's independent of the foundation, but the
implication that it's not something people should expect to read about
in the Signpost would be a mistake.

Finally, as valuable as both the Signpost and Wikizine are, along with
this list and all other ways to disseminate information, no single
source can be the magic bullet to reach everyone. In working toward
that, we need to exercise our cultural value of sharing knowledge, so if
you have information that is appropriate to share, pass it on to those
who would like to know about it.

--Michael Snow

Re: WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
The one reason why I read the Signpost is because it posts a table of
contents on a blog that is aggregated. <grin> Advertisement works, it gets
it more readers </grin>
Thanks,
        GerardM

2009/9/7 Bod Notbod <[hidden email]>:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM, David Gerard<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> That would describe the person who started this thread, who has stated
>> elsewhere that anything whatsoever he does on any WMF site is only for
>> the purpose of trolling.

> Was that the form of words used?
> I'd be interested to know the exact quote.

Citations emailed.

- d.