WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer could do.

WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer could do.

Jonathan Cardy
"WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer could do". or "WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer is willing and able to do as a volunteer?"

Hopefully the tasks being done by our staff are ones that volunteers could do, but nobody is volunteering to bank cheques and so forth.

This may seem like a subtle difference, but you wouldn't want a professional staff that preferred to employ people to do things that they didn't think the mere volunteers were capable of.  Not that I'm accusing anyone in WMUK of falling into that trap.

WSC

On 1 April 2012 11:50, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/04/2012 02:20, Anthony (AGK) wrote:
Should WMUK not be involved in developing a Wikimania bid? (I don't
follow WM governance very closely, and may misunderstand that aspect
of the Chapter's purpose.)

Job demarcation. WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer could do.

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer could do.

Michael Peel-4
The latter - although there's more nuances than that. E.g. even if someone volunteered to bank cheques (which can happen - I used to do that several years back), it's still better for staff to do it for accountability reasons. The full description is at:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Volunteer_Policy

Thanks,
Mike

On 1 Apr 2012, at 12:38, WereSpielChequers wrote:

> "WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer could do". or "WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer is willing and able to do as a volunteer?"
>
> Hopefully the tasks being done by our staff are ones that volunteers could do, but nobody is volunteering to bank cheques and so forth.
>
> This may seem like a subtle difference, but you wouldn't want a professional staff that preferred to employ people to do things that they didn't think the mere volunteers were capable of.  Not that I'm accusing anyone in WMUK of falling into that trap.
>
> WSC
>
> On 1 April 2012 11:50, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 01/04/2012 02:20, Anthony (AGK) wrote:
> Should WMUK not be involved in developing a Wikimania bid? (I don't
> follow WM governance very closely, and may misunderstand that aspect
> of the Chapter's purpose.)
>
> Job demarcation. WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer could do.
>

> Gordo
>
> --
>
> Gordon Joly
> [hidden email]
> http://www.joly.org.uk/
> Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer could do.

Chris Keating-2

"WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer could do". or "WMUK may not take on a task that volunteer is willing and able to do as a volunteer?"

Just to be clear - here we are talking about Wikimedia UK *staff*, not the *organisation*. Wikimedia UK the organisation will continue to rely on lots of volunteers doing lots of things.

Chris