Want to publish English version of Wikipedia on DVD and need help/advice

Want to publish English version of Wikipedia on DVD and need help/advice

Richard Seltzer
I publish books (mainly public domain) on CD and DVD. You can see my offerings at http://store.yahoo.com/samizdat

I would like to publish a DVD that includes the full text of Wikipedia, peferably as a set of interlinked html pages (easy for a novice to use, and with no need for a database).  The DVD would also include dozens of other reference books.

I understand (thanks to Lars Aronsson) that Directmedia Publishing in Berlin (www.directmedia.de) put the German Wikipedia on DVD (ISBN 3-86640-001-2).  It sells for $10 on
www.amazon.de, and $1 of that goes to the German branch of the Wikimedia Foundation.

I would like to do something similar for the English version. I would sell it for $12 since it includes other works as well and also since I provide free shipping inside the US. I could also contribute $1 for each DVD sold to the Wikimedia Foundation (or whatever branch of that is appropriate). In addition, I would like to update the DVD about once a month.

I downloaded 20051105_pages_articles.xml.bz2 823 Mbytes I uncompressed that file (using ZipZag) to 20051105_pages_artcles.xml 3.5 Gigabytes

But what can I/should I do next?

The xml file is too big to open in my IE browser (and too big for any customer to open either). I was hoping to get a set of inter-linked files (similar to the way downloads of the CIA World Factbook are presented), so anyone could open a home page and navigate to the the rest.

Is there anything I can do (with my Windows PC) to convert the downloadable files to this format? Or could anyone out there in the Wikipedia community help me?

Thanks very much.

Best wishes.

Richard

Richard Seltzer, [hidden email], 617-469-2269, http://www.samizdat.com
A library for the price of a book http://store.yahoo.com/samizdat
A summary of our book publishing projects http://www.samizdat.com/orientation.html

Re: Want to publish English version of Wikipedia on DVD and need help/advice

Justin Cormack

On 5 Jan 2006, at 18:55, Richard Seltzer wrote:

> I publish books (mainly public domain) on CD and DVD. You can see
> my offerings at http://store.yahoo.com/samizdat
>
> I would like to publish a DVD that includes the full text of
> Wikipedia, peferably as a set of interlinked html pages (easy for a
> novice to use, and with no need for a database).  The DVD would
> also include dozens of other reference books.
>
> I understand (thanks to Lars Aronsson) that Directmedia Publishing
> in Berlin (www.directmedia.de) put the German Wikipedia on DVD
> (ISBN 3-86640-001-2).  It sells for $10 on
> www.amazon.de, and $1 of that goes to the German branch of the
> Wikimedia Foundation.
>
> I would like to do something similar for the English version. I
> would sell it for $12 since it includes other works as well and
> also since I provide free shipping inside the US. I could also
> contribute $1 for each DVD sold to the Wikimedia Foundation (or
> whatever branch of that is appropriate). In addition, I would like
> to update the DVD about once a month.
>
> I downloaded 20051105_pages_articles.xml.bz2 823 Mbytes I
> uncompressed that file (using ZipZag) to 20051105_pages_artcles.xml
> 3.5 Gigabytes
>
> But what can I/should I do next?
>
> The xml file is too big to open in my IE browser (and too big for
> any customer to open either). I was hoping to get a set of inter-
> linked files (similar to the way downloads of the CIA World
> Factbook are presented), so anyone could open a home page and
> navigate to the the rest.
>
> Is there anything I can do (with my Windows PC) to convert the
> downloadable files to this format? Or could anyone out there in the
> Wikipedia community help me?

You need to install the mediawiki software, import the xml into the
database and then write a script to
generate the html pages. You probably want to find a tame hacker to
help set it up for the first time
(you will need some customisation, set up a look and feel etc; also
if you are not going to have the
pictures you may want to strip out the captions, and you need to work
out what to do with red links etc).

Suggest you mail the technical list to find someone who can do the
detailed work. Its not a huge amount
although getting it right may take a while as there is a lot to check.

Best wishes

Justinc

Re: Want to publish English version of Wikipedia on DVD and need help/advice

Andrew Gray
On 05/01/06, Richard Seltzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understand (thanks to Lars Aronsson) that Directmedia Publishing
> in Berlin (www.directmedia.de) put the German Wikipedia on DVD
> (ISBN 3-86640-001-2).  It sells for $10 on www.amazon.de, and
> $1 of that goes to the German branch of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Euro not dollars, but yeah. Handily, ten euro is almost exactly the
$12 you mention below.

You might be interested to read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Wikipedia, where Axel Boldt has
given a short explanation of the various .de publishing projects.

It may be worth noting that the German publication wasn't a straight
copy of the "live dump", but rather was a slightly-filtered version -
a largish team had vetted the whole set of articles and then put it on
DVD. I'm not sure what level of quality you're looking at for this
DVD, but without a step like this you'd be leaving a lot of dross (and
a lot of potential copyright problems) in place. They also had some
home-brewed searching software, rather than just a webbrowser, IIRC.

As to producing static HTML versions, I believe Tim Starling was
working on tools to do just this, but I can't offhand find anything.
Searching the archives of this list might be worthwhile.

One final point - you mention donations to Wikimedia. I assume (since
it makes good business sense) you'd want to publicise this, and thus
use the Wikipedia/Wikimedia name - this may well be preaching to the
choir, but please contact the Foundation, to avoid running into
trademark issues and any associated unpleasantness. (I certainly don't
know what the status of using the name was in Germany...)

But all that aside, the donations are of course appreciated :-)

Best of luck,
--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Want to publish English version of Wikipedia on DVD and need help/advice

Richard Seltzer
Thanks for  your response.

Sounds like this could be very difficult. It's hard to imagine "filtering"
the entire Wikipedia.
I was hoping that the "articles only" version (without comments) would be
clean and reliable and free of potential copyright problems.
And I would not want to include search software. The basic search
capabilities within Windows could be used. And, of course, a customer could
install any other search program as well.  But, ideally, it should be
possible to simply navigate with links (as one does with the CIA World
Factbook).

Do you have an email address for Tim Starling?

I was  hoping that there would be a way to convert regularly updated
Wikipedia files to a format appropriate for DVD, so it would be possible for
me to offer regular frequent updates.

And is there an email address to officially contact the Foundation?

Thanks again.

Richard

Richard Seltzer, [hidden email], 617-469-2269, http://www.samizdat.com
A library for the price of a book http://store.yahoo.com/samizdat
A summary of our book publishing projects
http://www.samizdat.com/orientation.html

On 05/01/06, Richard Seltzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understand (thanks to Lars Aronsson) that Directmedia Publishing
> in Berlin (www.directmedia.de) put the German Wikipedia on DVD
> (ISBN 3-86640-001-2).  It sells for $10 on www.amazon.de, and
> $1 of that goes to the German branch of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Euro not dollars, but yeah. Handily, ten euro is almost exactly the
$12 you mention below.

You might be interested to read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Wikipedia, where Axel Boldt has
given a short explanation of the various .de publishing projects.

It may be worth noting that the German publication wasn't a straight
copy of the "live dump", but rather was a slightly-filtered version -
a largish team had vetted the whole set of articles and then put it on
DVD. I'm not sure what level of quality you're looking at for this
DVD, but without a step like this you'd be leaving a lot of dross (and
a lot of potential copyright problems) in place. They also had some
home-brewed searching software, rather than just a webbrowser, IIRC.

As to producing static HTML versions, I believe Tim Starling was
working on tools to do just this, but I can't offhand find anything.
Searching the archives of this list might be worthwhile.

One final point - you mention donations to Wikimedia. I assume (since
it makes good business sense) you'd want to publicise this, and thus
use the Wikipedia/Wikimedia name - this may well be preaching to the
choir, but please contact the Foundation, to avoid running into
trademark issues and any associated unpleasantness. (I certainly don't
know what the status of using the name was in Germany...)

But all that aside, the donations are of course appreciated :-)

Best of luck,
--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Want to publish English version of Wikipedia on DVD and need help/advice

MacGyverMagic/Mgm
Also don't forget, that to comply with the GFDL, you need to provide a list
of contributors for each article. Or at the very least link to the online
history of the article in question.

Mgm

On 1/6/06, Richard Seltzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for  your response.
>
> Sounds like this could be very difficult. It's hard to imagine "filtering"
> the entire Wikipedia.
> I was hoping that the "articles only" version (without comments) would be
> clean and reliable and free of potential copyright problems.
> And I would not want to include search software. The basic search
> capabilities within Windows could be used. And, of course, a customer
> could
> install any other search program as well.  But, ideally, it should be
> possible to simply navigate with links (as one does with the CIA World
> Factbook).
>
> Do you have an email address for Tim Starling?
>
> I was  hoping that there would be a way to convert regularly updated
> Wikipedia files to a format appropriate for DVD, so it would be possible
> for
> me to offer regular frequent updates.
>
> And is there an email address to officially contact the Foundation?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Richard
>
> Richard Seltzer, [hidden email], 617-469-2269,
> http://www.samizdat.com
> A library for the price of a book http://store.yahoo.com/samizdat
> A summary of our book publishing projects
> http://www.samizdat.com/orientation.html

Angela-5

It's on his user page: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tim_Starling>.

> And is there an email address to officially contact the Foundation?

board at wikimedia.org is an address you can use if you need to
contact the board or people involved with the Foundation. For
non-board issues, the public mailing lists (like
<http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l>) are
preferable.

Angela.