Washington DC region swelters after storm cuts power

Washington DC region swelters after storm cuts power

Richard Symonds-3
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18656648

Just so you all know: because of the weather, I suspect that the Wikimania team may be a little busy at present!

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Re: Washington DC region swelters after storm cuts power

Thomas Dalton
On 30 June 2012 23:06, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18656648
>
> Just so you all know: because of the weather, I suspect that the Wikimania
> team may be a little busy at present!

Just so long as there aren't any volcanoes near DC...

Re: Washington DC region swelters after storm cuts power

Andrew Lih-2

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
Indeed. I have been without power for 23 hours now.

And off-the-grid Wikimania... now there's an intriguing concept. :)

-Andrew

Re: Washington DC region swelters after storm cuts power

Craig Franklin-2
I always do wonder, when I attend WM events and most people are
fiddling around with their laptops instead of paying attention to the
speaker, exactly how different things would be if we tried banning
computers from one of our events for a day.

Not going to happen, but nice to think about ;-)

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Craig Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I always do wonder, when I attend WM events and most people are
fiddling around with their laptops instead of paying attention to the
speaker, exactly how different things would be if we tried banning
computers from one of our events for a day.

Not going to happen, but nice to think about ;-)

Just like there's an adult swim at pools, an "Analog Day" at Wikimania would be fascinating.

Actually, the final beach party last year in Israel was very water-oriented, food-laden, and analog. :)

-Andrew

Re: Washington DC region swelters after storm cuts power

Aude-2
On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Andrew Lih <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
Indeed. I have been without power for 23 hours now.

And off-the-grid Wikimania... now there's an intriguing concept. :)

Still can't buy gasoline or groceries or use my mobile phone, but got power back :) and expect things back to normal soon.

In the decades I've lived in DC with all our snowmaggedons and hurricanes, I've never seen anything so bizarre here with such widespread effects.  It's anything but normal.

For folks coming here, good idea to bring light clothing, drink plenty of water, enjoy the air conditioning in the venue, museums, etc. and if there are thunderstorms, obviously, don't be outside.

Cheers,
Katie

-Andrew

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012