We are now accepting Direct Debits

Chris Keating-2
Just to let you know, Wikimedia UK is now accepting Direct Debit donations.

We'll be working on making this more attractive over the next few weeks but the functionality is there.

Of course if any of you felt like setting up a Direct Debit then that would be wonderful, but this email is mainly to let you know what some of us like to spend our Friday evenings doing. :-)

Chris

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

Thomas Dalton
On 16 September 2011 22:11, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just to let you know, Wikimedia UK is now accepting Direct Debit donations.
> http://directdebit.wikimedia.org.uk/
> We'll be working on making this more attractive over the next few weeks but
> the functionality is there.
> Of course if any of you felt like setting up a Direct Debit then that would
> be wonderful, but this email is mainly to let you know what some of us like
> to spend our Friday evenings doing. :-)

This is fantastic! Well done!

When I become treasurer, direct debits were one of the things I most
wanted to sort out and, when I ceased to be treasurer, one of the
things I was most disappointed that I hadn't been able to sort out.
I'm incredibly glad you've succeeded where I failed.

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

Thomas Dalton
Hmmm... I just tried to set up a direct debit and it seems the only
option for the frequency is quarterly. I want to donate monthly. Why
can't I? Obviously, the fees are greater for 3 donations of £2, say,
than for one donation of £6, but I think you'll get a lot more takers
if you offer monthly direct debits for the simple reason that people
tend to be paid monthly.

On 16 September 2011 22:48, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 September 2011 22:11, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just to let you know, Wikimedia UK is now accepting Direct Debit donations.
>> http://directdebit.wikimedia.org.uk/
>> We'll be working on making this more attractive over the next few weeks but
>> the functionality is there.
>> Of course if any of you felt like setting up a Direct Debit then that would
>> be wonderful, but this email is mainly to let you know what some of us like
>> to spend our Friday evenings doing. :-)
>
> This is fantastic! Well done!
>
> When I become treasurer, direct debits were one of the things I most
> wanted to sort out and, when I ceased to be treasurer, one of the
> things I was most disappointed that I hadn't been able to sort out.
> I'm incredibly glad you've succeeded where I failed.

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

Chris Keating-2

This is fantastic! Well done!

Thank you. We have taken a shortcut, which is to outsource the absolute maximum of the administration involved in Direct Debiting. Once we are on a firmer administrative footing we can bring it back in-house if needs be.

Hmmm... I just tried to set up a direct debit and it seems the only
option for the frequency is quarterly. I want to donate monthly. Why
can't I? Obviously, the fees are greater for 3 donations of £2, say,
than for one donation of £6, but I think you'll get a lot more takers
if you offer monthly direct debits for the simple reason that people
tend to be paid monthly.

We are set up for monthly and quarterly direct debits. I'm not quite sure why that form insists on quarterly, I doubt it will continue to insist after we speak to the suppliers on Monday, as we have other test forms that are definitely accepting monthly DDs.

You're right about the advantage of monthly DDs. during the fundraiser we'll test prompting different amounts/frequencies and different layouts of form to see which gives us the best long-term income.

Chris

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

Michael Peel-4
We're working on finding an easy way to give donors the choice of monthly or quarterly direct debits, but we haven't got it working quite yet. For now, if you want to donate by direct debit each month, then you can do so by visiting:
http://directdebit.wikimedia.org.uk/index_monthly.html

Hopefully we'll have a more integrated solution working in the near future.

Thanks,
Mike

On 16 Sep 2011, at 22:59, Chris Keating wrote:

> This is fantastic! Well done!
>
> Thank you. We have taken a shortcut, which is to outsource the absolute maximum of the administration involved in Direct Debiting. Once we are on a firmer administrative footing we can bring it back in-house if needs be.
>

> Hmmm... I just tried to set up a direct debit and it seems the only
> option for the frequency is quarterly. I want to donate monthly. Why
> can't I? Obviously, the fees are greater for 3 donations of £2, say,
> than for one donation of £6, but I think you'll get a lot more takers
> if you offer monthly direct debits for the simple reason that people
> tend to be paid monthly.
>
> We are set up for monthly and quarterly direct debits. I'm not quite sure why that form insists on quarterly, I doubt it will continue to insist after we speak to the suppliers on Monday, as we have other test forms that are definitely accepting monthly DDs.
>
> You're right about the advantage of monthly DDs. during the fundraiser we'll test prompting different amounts/frequencies and different layouts of form to see which gives us the best long-term income.
>
> Chris

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

WereSpielChequers-2
Monthly and quarterly are nice to haves, but presumably most members will want to do an annual payment for their annual renewal?

WereSpielChequers

On 16 September 2011 23:05, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
We're working on finding an easy way to give donors the choice of monthly or quarterly direct debits, but we haven't got it working quite yet. For now, if you want to donate by direct debit each month, then you can do so by visiting:
http://directdebit.wikimedia.org.uk/index_monthly.html

Hopefully we'll have a more integrated solution working in the near future.

Thanks,
Mike

On 16 Sep 2011, at 22:59, Chris Keating wrote:

> This is fantastic! Well done!
>
> Thank you. We have taken a shortcut, which is to outsource the absolute maximum of the administration involved in Direct Debiting. Once we are on a firmer administrative footing we can bring it back in-house if needs be.
>

> Hmmm... I just tried to set up a direct debit and it seems the only
> option for the frequency is quarterly. I want to donate monthly. Why
> can't I? Obviously, the fees are greater for 3 donations of £2, say,
> than for one donation of £6, but I think you'll get a lot more takers
> if you offer monthly direct debits for the simple reason that people
> tend to be paid monthly.
>
> We are set up for monthly and quarterly direct debits. I'm not quite sure why that form insists on quarterly, I doubt it will continue to insist after we speak to the suppliers on Monday, as we have other test forms that are definitely accepting monthly DDs.
>
> You're right about the advantage of monthly DDs. during the fundraiser we'll test prompting different amounts/frequencies and different layouts of form to see which gives us the best long-term income.
>
> Chris

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

Richard Symonds-3

WSC,

I can’t speak for the board here, and I’ll let Chris or Mike go into greater detail if they feel comfortable with doing so. I will also happily stand corrected, as I’m merely running the system, rather than setting it up.

However, the short answer is that yes, that would be ideal, and it’s a possibility that we’re looking into – however, annual renewals for members are more difficult to set up technically. The renewals have to link up in more places with our database and record the correct information in the correct places - we need to make sure that the Direct Debit form is working and recording information properly first.

Richard

Monthly and quarterly are nice to haves, but presumably most members will want to do an annual payment for their annual renewal?

WereSpielChequers

On 16 September 2011 23:05, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

We're working on finding an easy way to give donors the choice of monthly or quarterly direct debits, but we haven't got it working quite yet. For now, if you want to donate by direct debit each month, then you can do so by visiting:
http://directdebit.wikimedia.org.uk/index_monthly.html

Hopefully we'll have a more integrated solution working in the near future.

Thanks,
Mike

On 16 Sep 2011, at 22:59, Chris Keating wrote:

> This is fantastic! Well done!
>
> Thank you. We have taken a shortcut, which is to outsource the absolute maximum of the administration involved in Direct Debiting. Once we are on a firmer administrative footing we can bring it back in-house if needs be.
>

> Hmmm... I just tried to set up a direct debit and it seems the only
> option for the frequency is quarterly. I want to donate monthly. Why
> can't I? Obviously, the fees are greater for 3 donations of £2, say,
> than for one donation of £6, but I think you'll get a lot more takers
> if you offer monthly direct debits for the simple reason that people
> tend to be paid monthly.
>
> We are set up for monthly and quarterly direct debits. I'm not quite sure why that form insists on quarterly, I doubt it will continue to insist after we speak to the suppliers on Monday, as we have other test forms that are definitely accepting monthly DDs.
>
> You're right about the advantage of monthly DDs. during the fundraiser we'll test prompting different amounts/frequencies and different layouts of form to see which gives us the best long-term income.
>
> Chris

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

Roger Bamkin
Just in case anyone forgot, we estimated that Direct Debits would give us the same benefit (in the long term) as this years fundraiser,.Gift Aid gives us an almost immediate extra 25%, but DD may gives us (in time) an extra 100%. This is brilliant news.

Moving the fundraiser outside the UK could easily half the take.

Well done.

On 17 September 2011 00:20, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:

WSC,

I can’t speak for the board here, and I’ll let Chris or Mike go into greater detail if they feel comfortable with doing so. I will also happily stand corrected, as I’m merely running the system, rather than setting it up.

However, the short answer is that yes, that would be ideal, and it’s a possibility that we’re looking into – however, annual renewals for members are more difficult to set up technically. The renewals have to link up in more places with our database and record the correct information in the correct places - we need to make sure that the Direct Debit form is working and recording information properly first.

Richard

Monthly and quarterly are nice to haves, but presumably most members will want to do an annual payment for their annual renewal?

WereSpielChequers

On 16 September 2011 23:05, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

We're working on finding an easy way to give donors the choice of monthly or quarterly direct debits, but we haven't got it working quite yet. For now, if you want to donate by direct debit each month, then you can do so by visiting:
http://directdebit.wikimedia.org.uk/index_monthly.html

Hopefully we'll have a more integrated solution working in the near future.

Thanks,
Mike

On 16 Sep 2011, at 22:59, Chris Keating wrote:

> This is fantastic! Well done!
>
> Thank you. We have taken a shortcut, which is to outsource the absolute maximum of the administration involved in Direct Debiting. Once we are on a firmer administrative footing we can bring it back in-house if needs be.
>

> Hmmm... I just tried to set up a direct debit and it seems the only
> option for the frequency is quarterly. I want to donate monthly. Why
> can't I? Obviously, the fees are greater for 3 donations of £2, say,
> than for one donation of £6, but I think you'll get a lot more takers
> if you offer monthly direct debits for the simple reason that people
> tend to be paid monthly.
>
> We are set up for monthly and quarterly direct debits. I'm not quite sure why that form insists on quarterly, I doubt it will continue to insist after we speak to the suppliers on Monday, as we have other test forms that are definitely accepting monthly DDs.
>
> You're right about the advantage of monthly DDs. during the fundraiser we'll test prompting different amounts/frequencies and different layouts of form to see which gives us the best long-term income.
>
> Chris

Roger Bamkin
01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

Gordon Joly
On 16/09/2011 23:19, WereSpielChequers wrote:
> Monthly and quarterly are nice to haves, but presumably most members
> will want to do an annual payment for their annual renewal?
>
> WereSpielChequers
Are we confusing donors with members? You can be one or other or both?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

Gordon Joly

We have just switched from annual to monthly for our "family" RSPB membership payment.

Instead of 25 quid we pay 3 x 12 = 36 quid: we can spread the payments and the RSPB gets an 11 quid bonus.

RSPB was mentioned by  Anonymouse at the last London Wikimeet (#49) as a good model of membership for a charity.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/

*****
  • Over a million members, including over 195,000 youth members.
  • A staff of over 1,300 people and over 13,000 volunteers.
  • Resources available for charitable purposes in 2007 was £78.6 million.
*****

Ha! Small fry!

Gordo

On 16/09/2011 23:19, WereSpielChequers wrote:
Monthly and quarterly are nice to haves, but presumably most members will want to do an annual payment for their annual renewal?

WereSpielChequers

On 16 September 2011 23:05, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
We're working on finding an easy way to give donors the choice of monthly or quarterly direct debits, but we haven't got it working quite yet. For now, if you want to donate by direct debit each month, then you can do so by visiting:
http://directdebit.wikimedia.org.uk/index_monthly.html

Hopefully we'll have a more integrated solution working in the near future.

Thanks,
Mike

On 16 Sep 2011, at 22:59, Chris Keating wrote:

> This is fantastic! Well done!
>
> Thank you. We have taken a shortcut, which is to outsource the absolute maximum of the administration involved in Direct Debiting. Once we are on a firmer administrative footing we can bring it back in-house if needs be.
>

> Hmmm... I just tried to set up a direct debit and it seems the only
> option for the frequency is quarterly. I want to donate monthly. Why
> can't I? Obviously, the fees are greater for 3 donations of £2, say,
> than for one donation of £6, but I think you'll get a lot more takers
> if you offer monthly direct debits for the simple reason that people
> tend to be paid monthly.
>
> We are set up for monthly and quarterly direct debits. I'm not quite sure why that form insists on quarterly, I doubt it will continue to insist after we speak to the suppliers on Monday, as we have other test forms that are definitely accepting monthly DDs.
>
> You're right about the advantage of monthly DDs. during the fundraiser we'll test prompting different amounts/frequencies and different layouts of form to see which gives us the best long-term income.
>
> Chris

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

Chris Keating-2
We'll be focusing on making Direct Debits work effectively for donations in this autumn's fundraiser.

It would be nice if we had DDs for membership as well, but since we have c. 30,000 donors and c. 200 members, membership direct debits takes second priority ;-)

Chris

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

We have just switched from annual to monthly for our "family" RSPB membership payment.

Instead of 25 quid we pay 3 x 12 = 36 quid: we can spread the payments and the RSPB gets an 11 quid bonus.

RSPB was mentioned by  Anonymouse at the last London Wikimeet (#49) as a good model of membership for a charity.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/

*****
  • Over a million members, including over 195,000 youth members.
  • A staff of over 1,300 people and over 13,000 volunteers.
  • Resources available for charitable purposes in 2007 was £78.6 million.
*****

Ha! Small fry!

Gordo

On 16/09/2011 23:19, WereSpielChequers wrote:
Monthly and quarterly are nice to haves, but presumably most members will want to do an annual payment for their annual renewal?

WereSpielChequers

On 16 September 2011 23:05, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
We're working on finding an easy way to give donors the choice of monthly or quarterly direct debits, but we haven't got it working quite yet. For now, if you want to donate by direct debit each month, then you can do so by visiting:
http://directdebit.wikimedia.org.uk/index_monthly.html

Hopefully we'll have a more integrated solution working in the near future.

Thanks,
Mike

On 16 Sep 2011, at 22:59, Chris Keating wrote:

> This is fantastic! Well done!
>
> Thank you. We have taken a shortcut, which is to outsource the absolute maximum of the administration involved in Direct Debiting. Once we are on a firmer administrative footing we can bring it back in-house if needs be.
>

> Hmmm... I just tried to set up a direct debit and it seems the only
> option for the frequency is quarterly. I want to donate monthly. Why
> can't I? Obviously, the fees are greater for 3 donations of £2, say,
> than for one donation of £6, but I think you'll get a lot more takers
> if you offer monthly direct debits for the simple reason that people
> tend to be paid monthly.
>
> We are set up for monthly and quarterly direct debits. I'm not quite sure why that form insists on quarterly, I doubt it will continue to insist after we speak to the suppliers on Monday, as we have other test forms that are definitely accepting monthly DDs.
>
> You're right about the advantage of monthly DDs. during the fundraiser we'll test prompting different amounts/frequencies and different layouts of form to see which gives us the best long-term income.
>
> Chris

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

WereSpielChequers-2
I'm familiar with the marketing reasons for encouraging people to give more frequently, enough people are willing to give more in total if they can spread payments to make this worthwhile. I just don't think it wise or efficient not to give people the option of an annual payment. Aside from cheapskates like myself who would baulk at a monthly commitment, transaction charges are bound to arise somewhere along the line.

There is also the issue of lifetime value, I have my suspicions that the more frequently you remind people of a direct debit the more likely they are to review it. So It may be true that a monthly direct debit is only worth two years worth of that amount, but an annual one is in the longterm worth many times more.

As for donors v members, do we have plans to offer membership to donors?

WereSpielChequers (who still supports four organisations through annual direct debits started in the 1980s)

On 17 September 2011 08:46, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

We have just switched from annual to monthly for our "family" RSPB membership payment.

Instead of 25 quid we pay 3 x 12 = 36 quid: we can spread the payments and the RSPB gets an 11 quid bonus.

RSPB was mentioned by  Anonymouse at the last London Wikimeet (#49) as a good model of membership for a charity.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/

*****
  • Over a million members, including over 195,000 youth members.
  • A staff of over 1,300 people and over 13,000 volunteers.
  • Resources available for charitable purposes in 2007 was £78.6 million.
*****

Ha! Small fry!

Gordo

On 16/09/2011 23:19, WereSpielChequers wrote:
Monthly and quarterly are nice to haves, but presumably most members will want to do an annual payment for their annual renewal?

WereSpielChequers

On 16 September 2011 23:05, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
We're working on finding an easy way to give donors the choice of monthly or quarterly direct debits, but we haven't got it working quite yet. For now, if you want to donate by direct debit each month, then you can do so by visiting:
http://directdebit.wikimedia.org.uk/index_monthly.html

Hopefully we'll have a more integrated solution working in the near future.

Thanks,
Mike

On 16 Sep 2011, at 22:59, Chris Keating wrote:

> This is fantastic! Well done!
>
> Thank you. We have taken a shortcut, which is to outsource the absolute maximum of the administration involved in Direct Debiting. Once we are on a firmer administrative footing we can bring it back in-house if needs be.
>

> Hmmm... I just tried to set up a direct debit and it seems the only
> option for the frequency is quarterly. I want to donate monthly. Why
> can't I? Obviously, the fees are greater for 3 donations of £2, say,
> than for one donation of £6, but I think you'll get a lot more takers
> if you offer monthly direct debits for the simple reason that people
> tend to be paid monthly.
>
> We are set up for monthly and quarterly direct debits. I'm not quite sure why that form insists on quarterly, I doubt it will continue to insist after we speak to the suppliers on Monday, as we have other test forms that are definitely accepting monthly DDs.
>
> You're right about the advantage of monthly DDs. during the fundraiser we'll test prompting different amounts/frequencies and different layouts of form to see which gives us the best long-term income.
>
> Chris

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: We are now accepting Direct Debits

brian.mcneil-2
On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 11:47 +0100, WereSpielChequers wrote:

> I'm familiar with the marketing reasons for encouraging people to give
> more frequently, enough people are willing to give more in total if
> they can spread payments to make this worthwhile. I just don't think
> it wise or efficient not to give people the option of an annual
> payment. Aside from cheapskates like myself who would baulk at a
> monthly commitment, transaction charges are bound to arise somewhere
> along the line.
>
> There is also the issue of lifetime value, I have my suspicions that
> the more frequently you remind people of a direct debit the more
> likely they are to review it. So It may be true that a monthly direct
> debit is only worth two years worth of that amount, but an annual one
> is in the longterm worth many times more.

Banks tend to discard unused instructions at around the six-month mark.
For monthly contributions, if the amount is fixed you don't need to send
constant notices; the direct debit rules only require notification ten
working days in advance where the amount may vary. Obviously, you at
least send quarterly "thank-yous" with information on what donors' money
has helped achieve.

Brian McNeil.
--
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil - Accredited Reporter.
Facts don't cease to be facts, but news ceases to be news.