We need a policy against feeding the trolls

We need a policy against feeding the trolls

Molu Bosu Palit
Either that or a separate mailing list for these activities. I don't know why experienced editors let themselves get dragged into irrelevant and pointless debates and name-calling on silly issues. This is a mailing list about Wikipedia, not about conspiracy theories or their refutations. These long threads are really lowering the signal-noise ratio. Trolls will be trolls, but those of us who are NOT trolls don't need to compete at the same level. Let's put an end to this unhygienic practice.

  Molu

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

Steve Bennett-8
On 5/23/06, Molu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Either that or a separate mailing list for these activities. I don't know
> why experienced editors let themselves get dragged into irrelevant and
> pointless debates and name-calling on silly issues. This is a mailing list
> about Wikipedia, not about conspiracy theories or their refutations. These
> long threads are really lowering the signal-noise ratio. Trolls will be
> trolls, but those of us who are NOT trolls don't need to compete at the same
> level. Let's put an end to this unhygienic practice.

Agreed. wikien-OT would be handy. Then, instead of saying "stop this
conversation" (which can sound like favoring one side over the other,
depending on who's "winning") you can just say "take it to wikien-OT".

(OT = off topic).

Steve

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

Prasad J
Actually I must admit that I have been involved in off-topic
"debates", at times bordering on trolling. Sorry for any inconvenience
caused, I forgot that these e-mails are sent to everyone on the
mailing-list including those not involved in the arguement.

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

Dan Rosenthal
I think a wiki-off topic list would be a great idea.

-Swatjester

On 5/23/06, Prasad J <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually I must admit that I have been involved in off-topic
> "debates", at times bordering on trolling. Sorry for any inconvenience
> caused, I forgot that these e-mails are sent to everyone on the
> mailing-list including those not involved in the arguement.

Dan Rosenthal
IWVO National Legislative Director

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

Jimmy Wales
Molu wrote:
> Either that or a separate mailing list for these activities. I don't
> know why experienced editors let themselves get dragged into
> irrelevant and pointless debates and name-calling on silly issues.
> This is a mailing list about Wikipedia, not about conspiracy theories
> or their refutations. These long threads are really lowering the
> signal-noise ratio. Trolls will be trolls, but those of us who are
> NOT trolls don't need to compete at the same level. Let's put an end
> to this unhygienic practice.

I agree with you completely.  I am recommending that Peter McKay be
removed from the list immediately, and Anthony DiPierro put on notice
that not much more will be tolerated.

--Jimbo

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Jimmy Wales
>
> I agree with you completely.  I am recommending that Peter
> McKay be removed from the list immediately, and Anthony
> DiPierro put on notice that not much more will be tolerated.

I guess "Peter McKay" means me.

Oh well. Thanks everybody for your company. Best wishes to all!

Yours aye,
Peter

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

Philip Welch
On May 23, 2006, at 3:55 PM, Jimmy Wales wrote:

>> Either that or a separate mailing list for these activities. I don't
>> know why experienced editors let themselves get dragged into
>> irrelevant and pointless debates and name-calling on silly issues.
>> This is a mailing list about Wikipedia, not about conspiracy theories
>> or their refutations. These long threads are really lowering the
>> signal-noise ratio. Trolls will be trolls, but those of us who are
>> NOT trolls don't need to compete at the same level. Let's put an end
>> to this unhygienic practice.
>
> I agree with you completely.  I am recommending that Peter McKay be
> removed from the list immediately, and Anthony DiPierro put on notice
> that not much more will be tolerated.

Can we ban the trolls themselves while we're at it? Please? :)

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

Prasad J
Mr. Wales could you please look into the case of the blocked user Abu
Hamza? He claims to have been indefinitely blocked without benefit of
Arbitration. His talk-page too has been protected. This sort of
incident, where Administrators (effectively) ban users without any
formal Request for Arbitration is becoming  more prevalent by the day
and seems to be in violation of Wikipedia principles.

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

Tony Sidaway-3
On 5/24/06, Prasad J <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This sort of
> incident, where Administrators (effectively) ban users without any
> formal Request for Arbitration is becoming  more prevalent by the day
> and seems to be in violation of Wikipedia principles.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:BP#Bans

Community bans are becoming more common and are bound to do so, as the
community continues to grow at a rate that cannot be matched by the
Arbitration Committee's capacity to cope with every single problem
user.  Eventually (probably very soon) community bans will be more
common than arbitration-imposed bans.

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

geni
On 5/24/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/24/06, Prasad J <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This sort of
> > incident, where Administrators (effectively) ban users without any
> > formal Request for Arbitration is becoming  more prevalent by the day
> > and seems to be in violation of Wikipedia principles.
>
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:BP#Bans
>
> Community bans are becoming more common and are bound to do so, as the
> community continues to grow at a rate that cannot be matched by the
> Arbitration Committee's capacity to cope with every single problem
> user.  Eventually (probably very soon) community bans will be more
> common than arbitration-imposed bans.

If you include socks of community banned users they probably already are.

--
geni

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

Charles Matthews
 "Tony Sidaway"  wrote

> Community bans are becoming more common and are bound to do so, as the
> community continues to grow at a rate that cannot be matched by the
> Arbitration Committee's capacity to cope with every single problem
> user.

Well, it never was the ArbCom's job to have a finger in every pie.  It took
over from Jimbo having to rule in the toughest cases.  And the process is
still most suitable for ruling on apparently intractable cases which need a
fairly transparent process.  Having cases disposed of by other routes is
intended.

Charles

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

jayjg
On 5/23/06, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Molu wrote:
> > Either that or a separate mailing list for these activities. I don't
> > know why experienced editors let themselves get dragged into
> > irrelevant and pointless debates and name-calling on silly issues.
> > This is a mailing list about Wikipedia, not about conspiracy theories
> > or their refutations. These long threads are really lowering the
> > signal-noise ratio. Trolls will be trolls, but those of us who are
> > NOT trolls don't need to compete at the same level. Let's put an end
> > to this unhygienic practice.
>
> I agree with you completely.  I am recommending that Peter McKay be
> removed from the list immediately, and Anthony DiPierro put on notice
> that not much more will be tolerated.

On 5/23/06, Prasad J <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mr. Wales could you please look into the case of the blocked user Abu
> Hamza? He claims to have been indefinitely blocked without benefit of
> Arbitration. His talk-page too has been protected. This sort of
> incident, where Administrators (effectively) ban users without any
> formal Request for Arbitration is becoming  more prevalent by the day
> and seems to be in violation of Wikipedia principles.

Re: We need a policy against feeding the trolls

Prasad J

> On 5/23/06, Prasad J <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >. His talk-page too has been protected. This sort of
> > incident, where Administrators (effectively) ban users without any
> > formal Request for Arbitration is becoming  more prevalent by the day
> > and seems to be in violation of Wikipedia principles.

I meant "policies" not "principles". Also, I was merely stating a fact
that has been brought up at WP:AN (as a result of this mail). Plaese
stop accussing me of trolling.