We've done it!!

Chris Keating-2
On Thursday we finally heard back from the Charity Commission that they have agreed to register us as a charity, number Registered Charity, No.1144513.

Thank you all very much indeed for your support, patience and forbearance over the last few months (and years!) while we have been sorting this out, and to everyone who turned up to amend our Objects a few weeks ago.

This is obviously a hugely significant step for us as an organisation. It is also a recognition of the quality of Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement as a whole - the Charity Commission in their decision took pains to distinguish Wikipedia from a random collection of information on the Internet, which is what they were worried we were.  And we're also told this it's a significant development in charity law. (Well, if it was really simple, we would have done it ages ago...)

We'd like thank to our lawyers (Stone King) and to John Byrne and Steve Virgin who have carefully navigated our path along this journey. You can find out more on our blog -http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2011/11/charity/

We already have Gift Aid forms working (why not fill one in here? http://donate.wikimedia.org.uk/thanks-gift-aid ) and we'll be doing our best to make sure we can get Gift Aid on as many donations as possible in this Autumn's fundraiser, which starts next week.

We've been holding off the announcement to try to maximise our press coverage, but please now join the Board in cracking open a metaphorical bottle of champagne... :-D

Regards,

Chris
(on behalf of the Wikimedia UK Board)

Re: We've done it!!

Steve Virgin

UK Charity Status for the world’s favourite encyclopaedia – and a milestone for Charity Law   http://bit.ly/rZFihf    #WMUK

And if anyone fancies Tweeting about our success – here is what I intend to tweet – feel free to borrow & adapt to what you feel best – but try and keep the #WMUK at the end so we can track the Twitter coverage

Steve

Re: We've done it!!

Charles Matthews

On 6 November 2011 21:12, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday we finally heard back from the Charity Commission that they have agreed to register us as a charity, number Registered Charity, No.1144513.

Not a memorable number, but otherwise unqualified congratulations to those involved.

Charles

Re: We've done it!!

On 6 November 2011 21:12, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We'd like thank to our lawyers (Stone King) and to John Byrne and Steve
> Virgin who have carefully navigated our path along this journey. You can
> find out more on our blog -http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2011/11/charity/

Uh ... whoever wrote that header has a strange understanding of the
word "embargo." YOU'VE JUST PUBLISHED IT TO THE WORLD.

- d.

Re: We've done it!!

Chris Keating-2
Uh ... whoever wrote that header has a strange understanding of the
word "embargo." YOU'VE JUST PUBLISHED IT TO THE WORLD.

Ah, damn, that probably means we've lost the front page exclusive in The Sun tomorrow. Hopefully we might still get Keely, 24, from Beckenham talking about how cool QRpedia is on page 3.

;-)

Chris

Re: We've done it!!

HJ Mitchell
That would almost make it worth buying The Sun!

Harry

Re: We've done it!!

Deryck Chan
Congratulations! I'm proud to be a member of WMUK as it becomes a charity today.
Not sure I get the press embargo bit, but I'll check the papers tomorrow :)
Deryck

On 6 November 2011 21:47, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
That would almost make it worth buying The Sun!

Harry

Re: We've done it!!

Katie Chan
*Thumb up* & *happy dance*

     - Heinrich Heine

Re: We've done it!!

Mickey Conn
Congratulations!  Having been a member of the first board, I know this
has been a long-term aspiration and much work has gone into achieving
charity status.  It will be of great benefit to the chapter, and to
Wikimedia projects, their users and contributors.

Well done!

Mickey Conn

Re: We've done it!!

Stephen Tilley
Congratulations to all concerned!

Stephen Tilley
[hidden email]

[...]

Roger Bamkin

This was the challenge that you set the board when you elected us as a number one priority. The fact that we've achieved this in time for a fundraiser (that at one time we thought had been cancelled) is amazing. If we were in the banking business then each of them would be given a ridiculous bonus and John Byrne would in the House of Lords. You will have to find your own currency, but we would not have achieved this without your support. As I said at the EGM, I thought it was the one thing we could rely on - and we did.

Thank you.
Roger

... sorry I've been quiet on this one but I had to witness an urgent photo shoot for the Sun, involving Keely, 24 who is trying to get "World Peace" its own QRpedia code. He really is a very nice person.

On 7 November 2011 11:39, James Farrar <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2

Re: We've done it!!

Gordon Joly

Nice one!

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: We've done it!!

Gordon Joly

And I have just had a letter back from Nick Hurd (in response to my
email of weeks ago to my local MP) about "Charitable Incorporated
Organisations"...

:-)

Gordo

Re: We've done it!!

Thomas Dalton
On 7 November 2011 19:24, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And I have just had a letter back from Nick Hurd (in response to my
> email of weeks ago to my local MP) about "Charitable Incorporated
> Organisations"...
>
> :-)

Did it say anything useful? Becoming a CIO is worth considering if
they're actually going to get around to finalising the details.

Re: We've done it!!

Gordon Joly
On 07/11/2011 19:28, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On 7 November 2011 19:24, Gordon Joly<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> And I have just had a letter back from Nick Hurd (in response to my
>> email of weeks ago to my local MP) about "Charitable Incorporated
>> Organisations"...
>>
>> :-)
> Did it say anything useful? Becoming a CIO is worth considering if
> they're actually going to get around to finalising the details.
>
> __

The delays in implementation of CIO status being available (via
Secondary Legislation) are due to Insolvency and Dissolution Regulations
being complex. Should be going back to Parliament early next year, with
the CIO option being available very soon after than.

Many charities will opt to transform into a CIO, I believe, such as Wiki
UK Ltd?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: We've done it!!

Bod Notbod
Well done to everyone who worked for this.

Re: We've done it!!

Fraser-9
Could you guys remove my email from the list as i am currently busy with other activities.
cheers

On 8 November 2011 10:03, Bod Notbod <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well done to everyone who worked for this.

Re: We've done it!!

Thomas Dalton
You can remove yourself - just follow the link in the footer to the
list's webpage.