Web application to upload csv file to wiktionary

Web application to upload csv file to wiktionary

Shrinivasan T
Is there any tool as web application to upload CSV file to wiktionary?

I have a command line tool here
https://github.com/tshrinivasan/tools-for-wiki/tree/master/csv-uploader-wiktionary

But it seems tough for newbies/windows users to execute this.

Thinking of a web application.

Please share info, if there is some tool already.
Else, will work on making one.

Thanks.

T.Shrinivasan

My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

Re: Web application to upload csv file to wiktionary

יגאל חיטרון
But you can use the Visual Editor, can't you?
Igal

> Is there any tool as web application to upload CSV file to wiktionary?
>
> I have a command line tool here
> https://github.com/tshrinivasan/tools-for-wiki/tree/master/csv-uploader-
> wiktionary
>
> But it seems tough for newbies/windows users to execute this.
>
> Thinking of a web application.
>
> Please share info, if there is some tool already.
> Else, will work on making one.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
> T.Shrinivasan
>

> My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
> Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com
>
> Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
> http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

Re: Web application to upload csv file to wiktionary

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
There is also
https://tools.wmflabs.org/bambots/csv2wikitable.php
if you're using raw text csv files themselves.
(Found via https://tools.wmflabs.org/hay/directory/#/search/csv and
source code linked there)

As Igal noted, visual editor does handle copy & pasting info from a
spreadsheet very well. (it also places the info within wikitable
markup) But that doesn't work with plaintext csv content.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:05 AM, יגאל חיטרון <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But you can use the Visual Editor, can't you?
> Igal

>> Is there any tool as web application to upload CSV file to wiktionary?
>>
>> I have a command line tool here
>> https://github.com/tshrinivasan/tools-for-wiki/tree/master/csv-uploader-
>> wiktionary
>>
>> But it seems tough for newbies/windows users to execute this.
>>
>> Thinking of a web application.
>>
>> Please share info, if there is some tool already.
>> Else, will work on making one.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> T.Shrinivasan
>>

>> My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
>> Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com
>>
>> Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
>> http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
Community Liaison, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Web application to upload csv file to wiktionary

James Forrester-4
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 at 10:15 Nick Wilson (Quiddity) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> There is also
> https://tools.wmflabs.org/bambots/csv2wikitable.php
> if you're using raw text csv files themselves.
> (Found via https://tools.wmflabs.org/hay/directory/#/search/csv and
> source code linked there)
>
> As Igal noted, visual editor does handle copy & pasting info from a
> spreadsheet very well. (it also places the info within wikitable
> markup) But that doesn't work with plaintext csv content.

If you drag the CSV file into the editor it'll paste the contents converted
into a table.

J.
--

James D. Forrester
Lead Product Manager, Editing
jforrester at wikimedia.org
@jdforrester

Re: Web application to upload csv file to wiktionary

Shrinivasan T
Thanks for the replies.

Here is my requirement.

My CSV file has 1000 lines as word, meaning.

Like to create 1000 pages in Wiktionary.
The mentioned python script in my previous query will do this.

But, need a web application for this do that any newbie can use it easily.

I don't think dragging CSV file to visual editor will create multiple pages.

Thanks.

Shrini

Re: Web application to upload csv file to wiktionary

Gergo Tisza
On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Shrinivasan T <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> My CSV file has 1000 lines as word, meaning.
>
> Like to create 1000 pages in Wiktionary.
> The mentioned python script in my previous query will do this.
>
> But, need a web application for this do that any newbie can use it easily.

A web version of the command-line tool you wrote probably won't just
magically exist; if you don't have the time to write it, you can direct
people to PAWS which provides a browser-based console for running scripts.
Not as nice but still easier than setting up Python locally.
Pywikipediabot has a tutorial which probably applies for running other
python scripts as well: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Pywikibot/PAWS

Re: Web application to upload csv file to wiktionary

Shrinivasan T
> A web version of the command-line tool you wrote probably won't just
> magically exist; if you don't have the time to write it, you can direct
> people to PAWS which provides a browser-based console for running scripts.
> Not as nice but still easier than setting up Python locally.
> Pywikipediabot has a tutorial which probably applies for running other
> python scripts as well: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Pywikibot/PAWS

Thanks for the suggestions.

I thought that If such tool is available already, we can use it.
I should not be reinventing the same wheel.

On my search, such tool is not found.
Hence asked here to check if such web application is available.

As it is not there already, will work on building one.
Will share here once done.

Thanks for great support.