Welcome David Schoonover - Systems Engineer - Data Analytics

Welcome David Schoonover - Systems Engineer - Data Analytics

Rob Lanphier-4
Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to welcome a new member of our analytics engineering team.
 David Schoonover starts today in the San Francisco office[1] as our
new Systems Engineer for Data Analytics. David previously worked
remotely for a company in McLean, VA in Virginia's Silicon...thing
(not valley, forest or alley...what do they call it?  "Silicon road to
Dulles"?).  Anyway, David's work was at  Clearspring, the company
responsible for the AddThis sharing widget that's installed across 10+
million domains servicing 60k+ requests per second.  He and a
co-worker built a scalable real-time analytics system to power the
Share Count feature of their tools, which is part of a real-time
dashboard you get as a user of their service.

In addition to David's talent in database technology and software
engineering, David also adds to our growing team of capable
photographers in Platform Engineering.  Because, after all, every good
engineering organization should have plenty of great photographers.

I've also found David will immediately will draw a dinosaur[2] on a
whiteboard in whatever room he is in.  So, those of you in our SF
office, if you see a plesiosaur on the whiteboard near you, that
probably means he's been there recently.  Or maybe it's been there a
while but now won't erase.  Either way, he probably drew it.

David will be joining Andrew Otto and Erik Zachte in the analytics
group in Platform Engineering, working very closely with Diederik van
Liere from Howie's new Product Management team.  David, Andrew and
Diederik (along with contractor Fabian Kaelin) are working on fixing
up our reporting pipeline and report card.

Welcome David!

Rob

[1] Yes, that's right, I've actually hired another person in San
Francisco, and this time, I didn't have to convince him to move here.
When I have team meetings, I'll have to get a conference room with
THREE chairs.  And a good phone.
[2] Dinosaur samples: http://art.less.ly/dinosaurs/

Re: Welcome David Schoonover - Systems Engineer - Data Analytics

Chad
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Rob Lanphier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm pleased to welcome a new member of our analytics engineering team.
>  David Schoonover starts today in the San Francisco office[1] as our
> new Systems Engineer for Data Analytics. David previously worked
> remotely for a company in McLean, VA in Virginia's Silicon...thing
> (not valley, forest or alley...what do they call it?  "Silicon road to
> Dulles"?).

That would be the Dulles Corridor[0] :)

-Chad

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulles_Technology_Corridor

Re: Welcome David Schoonover - Systems Engineer - Data Analytics

John Du Hart
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Rob Lanphier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've also found David will immediately will draw a dinosaur[2] on a
> whiteboard in whatever room he is in.  So, those of you in our SF
> office, if you see a plesiosaur on the whiteboard near you, that
> probably means he's been there recently.  Or maybe it's been there a
> while but now won't erase.  Either way, he probably drew it.

Hey I like dinosaurs! Welcome David!

--
John

Re: Welcome David Schoonover - Systems Engineer - Data Analytics

Erik Moeller-4
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Rob Lanphier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David will be joining Andrew Otto and Erik Zachte in the analytics
> group in Platform Engineering, working very closely with Diederik van
> Liere from Howie's new Product Management team.  David, Andrew and
> Diederik (along with contractor Fabian Kaelin) are working on fixing
> up our reporting pipeline and report card.
>
> Welcome David!

Welcome, David, and hooray for the expanding analytics team. Much of
our analytics infrastructure is still pretty fragile or non-existent,
and I really look forward to getting on more solid footing here. :-)

Erik

--
Erik Möller

Re: Welcome David Schoonover - Systems Engineer - Data Analytics

Danese Cooper
Oh this is very good news.  Who knew it would be so hard to find Data
Scientists
who wanted to *really* change the world :-).  Well done, David! (and
recruitment team
for finding him).

Danese

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Rob Lanphier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm pleased to welcome a new member of our analytics engineering team.
>  David Schoonover starts today in the San Francisco office[1] as our
> new Systems Engineer for Data Analytics. David previously worked
> remotely for a company in McLean, VA in Virginia's Silicon...thing
> (not valley, forest or alley...what do they call it?  "Silicon road to
> Dulles"?).  Anyway, David's work was at  Clearspring, the company
> responsible for the AddThis sharing widget that's installed across 10+
> million domains servicing 60k+ requests per second.  He and a
> co-worker built a scalable real-time analytics system to power the
> Share Count feature of their tools, which is part of a real-time
> dashboard you get as a user of their service.
>
> In addition to David's talent in database technology and software
> engineering, David also adds to our growing team of capable
> photographers in Platform Engineering.  Because, after all, every good
> engineering organization should have plenty of great photographers.
>
> I've also found David will immediately will draw a dinosaur[2] on a
> whiteboard in whatever room he is in.  So, those of you in our SF
> office, if you see a plesiosaur on the whiteboard near you, that
> probably means he's been there recently.  Or maybe it's been there a
> while but now won't erase.  Either way, he probably drew it.
>
> David will be joining Andrew Otto and Erik Zachte in the analytics
> group in Platform Engineering, working very closely with Diederik van
> Liere from Howie's new Product Management team.  David, Andrew and
> Diederik (along with contractor Fabian Kaelin) are working on fixing
> up our reporting pipeline and report card.
>
> Welcome David!
>
> Rob
>
> [1] Yes, that's right, I've actually hired another person in San
> Francisco, and this time, I didn't have to convince him to move here.
> When I have team meetings, I'll have to get a conference room with
> THREE chairs.  And a good phone.
> [2] Dinosaur samples: http://art.less.ly/dinosaurs/

Re: Welcome David Schoonover - Systems Engineer - Data Analytics

Kat Walsh-4
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Rob Lanphier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [2] Dinosaur samples: http://art.less.ly/dinosaurs/

This is the most delightful thing I have seen all day.

(Welcome, David!)

-Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia free: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate