Welcome to our three new board members

Florence Devouard-2
Dear Community,

A few days ago, I wrote you a "short" email to give you feedback on the last board meeting, which occured in Florida. Reference: http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-December/011869.html

As I promised, we welcome today 2 new board members, whom most of you already know, Mindspillage and Oscar (also known irl as Kat Walsh (us citizen, lady), Oscar van Dillen (dutch citizen, gentleman). Welcome to you both.

Tim Shell has chosen to resign from the board, effective 15th of december. At this date, he will be replaced by Jan-Bart de Vreede.

I would like first to give a special thank you to Tim Shell, whom I did not know at all 2 years ago, and whom I learned to appreciate. Tim has seen the birth of Wikipedia, be part of the first 4 years of life of the Foundation, and I hope he will keep an oldbie eye on it. Thank you Tim, and prosit (tchin, santé etc...).

Let me introduce you Jan-Bart. We wanted to choose a more external guy, who could have another view on
our whole organisation. You may consider him external, since he hardly has any edits  :-) , was not member of any of the internal cabal mailing lists... so, it is our first attempt to introduce the "outside" in here.
At the same time, he is not a stranger. Many of us already met him, he was at the two wikimania. And several of us have been talking with him quite a bit in the past. Most recently, he got involved in the ED search committee (so, was unofficially already acting as an advisory board member). His name came as an evidence to us.
He is a young man of 36 (which is still younger than I). Married, two kids. Dutch (which means we have two dutch guys on the board...). He studied Business Administration at the Rotterdam School of Management (which may definitly be an asset in our organisation). He works for Kennisnet Foundation, THE dutch organisation for ICT use in Education.

Jan-Bart put a short bio about him on meta: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jan-Bart

So... I hope it is all good news for everyone. I am really glad we make that step. Welcome Kat, Oscar and Jan-Bart. And thank you Tim.

Ref: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Board_expansion

Ant

aka Florence Devouard
ChairChick of Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Welcome to our three new board members

James Hare
Welcome, Kat, Oscars, and Jan-Bart!

May you be effective trustees and benefit the Wikimedia Foundation.

On 12/8/06, florencedevouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Community,
>
> A few days ago, I wrote you a "short" email to give you feedback on the
> last board meeting, which occured in Florida. Reference:
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-December/011869.html
>
> As I promised, we welcome today 2 new board members, whom most of you
> already know, Mindspillage and Oscar (also known irl as Kat Walsh (us
> citizen, lady), Oscar van Dillen (dutch citizen, gentleman). Welcome to you
> both.
>
> Tim Shell has chosen to resign from the board, effective 15th of december.
> At this date, he will be replaced by Jan-Bart de Vreede.
>
> I would like first to give a special thank you to Tim Shell, whom I did
> not know at all 2 years ago, and whom I learned to appreciate. Tim has seen
> the birth of Wikipedia, be part of the first 4 years of life of the
> Foundation, and I hope he will keep an oldbie eye on it. Thank you Tim, and
> prosit (tchin, santé etc...).
>
> Let me introduce you Jan-Bart. We wanted to choose a more external guy,
> who could have another view on
> our whole organisation. You may consider him external, since he hardly has
> any edits  :-) , was not member of any of the internal cabal mailing
> lists... so, it is our first attempt to introduce the "outside" in here.
> At the same time, he is not a stranger. Many of us already met him, he was
> at the two wikimania. And several of us have been talking with him quite a
> bit in the past. Most recently, he got involved in the ED search committee
> (so, was unofficially already acting as an advisory board member). His name
> came as an evidence to us.
> He is a young man of 36 (which is still younger than I). Married, two
> kids. Dutch (which means we have two dutch guys on the board...). He studied
> Business Administration at the Rotterdam School of Management (which may
> definitly be an asset in our organisation). He works for Kennisnet
> Foundation, THE dutch organisation for ICT use in Education.
>
> Jan-Bart put a short bio about him on meta:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jan-Bart
>

> So... I hope it is all good news for everyone. I am really glad we make
> that step. Welcome Kat, Oscar and Jan-Bart. And thank you Tim.
>
> Ref: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Board_expansion
>
> Ant
>
> aka Florence Devouard
> ChairChick of Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Welcome to our three new board members

Birgitte_sb
Congratulations Kat, Oscar, and Jan-Bart!

I found Jan-Bart's talk at Wikimania to be one of my
favorites.  Anyone involved in Incubator should
solicit his advice on "fledging" new wiki's if they
have not already done so.  He has a very good idea of
how to set-up a successfull new community and several
examples of mistakes that can lead to failure.

Birgitte SB

--- florencedevouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Community,
>
> A few days ago, I wrote you a "short" email to give
> you feedback on the last board meeting, which
> occured in Florida. Reference:

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-December/011869.html

> As I promised, we welcome today 2 new board members,
> whom most of you already know, Mindspillage and
> Oscar (also known irl as Kat Walsh (us citizen,
> lady), Oscar van Dillen (dutch citizen, gentleman).
> Welcome to you both.
>
> Tim Shell has chosen to resign from the board,
> effective 15th of december. At this date, he will be
> replaced by Jan-Bart de Vreede.
>
> I would like first to give a special thank you to
> Tim Shell, whom I did not know at all 2 years ago,
> and whom I learned to appreciate. Tim has seen the
> birth of Wikipedia, be part of the first 4 years of
> life of the Foundation, and I hope he will keep an
> oldbie eye on it. Thank you Tim, and prosit (tchin,
> santé etc...).
>
> Let me introduce you Jan-Bart. We wanted to choose a
> more external guy, who could have another view on
> our whole organisation. You may consider him
> external, since he hardly has any edits  :-) , was
> not member of any of the internal cabal mailing
> lists... so, it is our first attempt to introduce
> the "outside" in here.
> At the same time, he is not a stranger. Many of us
> already met him, he was at the two wikimania. And
> several of us have been talking with him quite a bit
> in the past. Most recently, he got involved in the
> ED search committee (so, was unofficially already
> acting as an advisory board member). His name came
> as an evidence to us.
> He is a young man of 36 (which is still younger than
> I). Married, two kids. Dutch (which means we have
> two dutch guys on the board...). He studied Business
> Administration at the Rotterdam School of Management
> (which may definitly be an asset in our
> organisation). He works for Kennisnet Foundation,
> THE dutch organisation for ICT use in Education.
>
> Jan-Bart put a short bio about him on meta:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jan-Bart
>

> So... I hope it is all good news for everyone. I am
> really glad we make that step. Welcome Kat, Oscar
> and Jan-Bart. And thank you Tim.
>
> Ref:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Board_expansion

> Ant
>
> aka Florence Devouard
> ChairChick of Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Welcome to our three new board members

Tim Starling-2
florencedevouard wrote:
> Tim Shell has chosen to resign from the board, effective 15th of
> december. At this date, he will be replaced by Jan-Bart de Vreede.

Out with one financial supporter of the Foundation and in with another. It
seems my calls for democratic selection of Board members fell on deaf ears.

I have nothing against Jan-Bart personally, just as I had nothing against
Tim Shell. No doubt there were other factors that went into his selection
besides his role in the Kennisnet hosting arrangement. But I have trouble
believing that he would have been selected without it. I oppose his Board
membership on principle, just as I continue to oppose that of Michael Davis.

-- Tim Starling

Re: Welcome to our three new board members

Brad Patrick
As will be made clear from the revisions to the Foundation Bylaws and
the Board Expansion resolution adopted by the Board, your position is
overstated.  Your call did not fall on 'deaf ears' - far from it.  You
were heard.

The Board will be composed of a majority of individuals from the
community.  That does not require election of all board members, as you
would prefer, only some.  Given the fiduciary responsibility required of
all board members and the need for diverse talents, it is logical and
effective to appoint some persons and not rely on an open election
process for each position.

Also, Board positions have terms now.  They are not indefinite, as
Michael Davis, Tim Shell, and Jimmy Wales were in the past.  All will be
subject to reappointment at the conclusion of their term, unless they
resign earlier.

The Board will also be expanded in size.  At this time, the number is
now 7, up from 5.  It will increase further in the next year, probably to 9.

Your "principle" - that a "financial supporter" of the Foundation is
ineligible for board service - would seem to exclude a
disproportionately large number of very good people, including those who
may consider running for election.  It is also a rather short-sighted
view in light of the amounts of money at issue to support of the
Foundation (which include my paycheck and yours) to insist on a board
composed of elected individuals with no guarantee of any particular
business acumen.  Experience shows it may be rather difficult to recruit
business folks to stand for election, rather than appoint them to
fulfill a need at the board level.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, your desired direct election of
all board members exposes the danger of pure democratic rule - tyranny
of the majority.  It is possible, however remotely, that elections could
be hijacked by elements external to the Foundation's best interests.
Appointment through the election process rather than election as of
right prevents this from happening.

Each of these points was debated extensively by the Board during its
last two face-to-face meetings in October and December.  I am proud of
our Board, and for the deep consideration they have given to these
governance issues.

Brad Patrick

Tim Starling wrote:

> florencedevouard wrote:
>
>> Tim Shell has chosen to resign from the board, effective 15th of
>> december. At this date, he will be replaced by Jan-Bart de Vreede.
>>

> Out with one financial supporter of the Foundation and in with another. It
> seems my calls for democratic selection of Board members fell on deaf ears.
>
> I have nothing against Jan-Bart personally, just as I had nothing against
> Tim Shell. No doubt there were other factors that went into his selection
> besides his role in the Kennisnet hosting arrangement. But I have trouble
> believing that he would have been selected without it. I oppose his Board
> membership on principle, just as I continue to oppose that of Michael Davis.
>
> -- Tim Starling

Re: Welcome to our three new board members

Erik Moeller-4
On 12/8/06, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have nothing against Jan-Bart personally, just as I had nothing against
> Tim Shell. No doubt there were other factors that went into his selection
> besides his role in the Kennisnet hosting arrangement. But I have trouble
> believing that he would have been selected without it. I oppose his Board
> membership on principle, just as I continue to oppose that of Michael Davis.

In addition to what Brad said, I should point out that the
Kennisnet-Wikimedia relationship is not coincidental. Kennisnet's
purpose is to assist the educational sector in ICT use, and to develop
educational content. See more information about their mission here:
http://www.kennisnetictopschool.nl/international/

This is not a for-profit selling nudie pictures. Having spoken to many
people in the eLearning sector, Kennisnet is very much a name that is
known internationally. It's an organization that we would have built
bridges to under any circumstances, given the clear overlap of
interests. They are supporting us (including software development
projects) not because it's good PR, but because it makes sense for
them to do so.

Jan-Bart personally brings skills and knowledge to the Board that are
very much needed, given his long time management experience, his broad
network of contacts, and his solid understanding of eLearning
technology. If we want projects like Wikiversity and Wikibooks to
succeed, we need to draw from people outside the community of editors,
people who have been working in those areas for many years.

Appointing Jan-Bart to replace Tim Shell was not a reward for
Kennisnet's involement. As a matter of fact, due to conflict of
interest policies, Jan-Bart will now have to recuse himself from being
the number one point-man for Wikimedia in the Kennisnet organization.
Nor was this a shoe-in -- other names were floated and seriously
considered. We appointed him because we deeply believe that he will
greatly help our organization in the coming years.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Re: Welcome to our three new board members

KIZU Naoko
On 12/8/06, florencedevouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> A few days ago, I wrote you a "short" email to give you feedback on the last board meeting, which occured in Florida. Reference: http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-December/011869.html
>
> As I promised, we welcome today 2 new board members, whom most of you already know, Mindspillage and Oscar (also known irl as Kat Walsh (us citizen, lady), Oscar van Dillen (dutch citizen, gentleman). Welcome to you both.

I would like to know it before ... as we were informed about Patrick
Brad as coming interim ED. Well, Promotion subcom will be working to
update [[Wikimedia:Board of Trustees]] properly? Or new borad members
would like to edit it directly for now? Or it will appear after
December 15?

I put a brief note on the Home. Copyediting will be appreciated.

Well, and I would like the Board to give us priorities for
translators, since around December 15, we have several things need to
manage including:
- Information about new board
- Fundraising
- Audited (and huge) ducuments, perhaps need a PDF editor
- Disclaimer (translation ongoing)

If we have a sorted list on the items above, I will be more than happy
and expect we translators can work the most effectively ... when we
are back (now 2:02 am, I go to bed now ......)

n8,
--
KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org

Re: Welcome to our three new board members

Delphine Ménard
On 12/8/06, florencedevouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> A few days ago, I wrote you a "short" email to give you feedback on the last board meeting, which occured in Florida. Reference: http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-December/011869.html
>
> As I promised, we welcome today 2 new board members, whom most of you already know, Mindspillage and Oscar (also known irl as Kat Walsh (us citizen, lady), Oscar van Dillen (dutch citizen, gentleman). Welcome to you both.
>
> Tim Shell has chosen to resign from the board, effective 15th of december. At this date, he will be replaced by Jan-Bart de Vreede.

Welcome to Oscar and Kat, and a future welcome to Jan-Bart. I am
convinced that the expansion of the board is a great step towards
sustainability for the Wikimedia Foundation and that all three will be
a great asset to achieve all the things still left to do.

I personally want to thank Tim Shell for the insight he has provided
us with in the past few months, and hope, to echo Florence's words,
that he will stay around to see through the things he has started to
push forward in the organisation.

Delphine
--
~notafish

Re: Welcome to our three new board members

Florence Devouard-3
Aphaia wrote:

> On 12/8/06, florencedevouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Dear Community,
>>
>>A few days ago, I wrote you a "short" email to give you feedback on the last board meeting, which occured in Florida. Reference: http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-December/011869.html
>>
>>As I promised, we welcome today 2 new board members, whom most of you already know, Mindspillage and Oscar (also known irl as Kat Walsh (us citizen, lady), Oscar van Dillen (dutch citizen, gentleman). Welcome to you both.
>

> I would like to know it before ... as we were informed about Patrick
> Brad as coming interim ED. Well, Promotion subcom will be working to
> update [[Wikimedia:Board of Trustees]] properly? Or new borad members
> would like to edit it directly for now? Or it will appear after
> December 15?

Kat and Oscar became board members today at 00 UTC (or UTC+1, unclear).
Jan-Bart will be on the 15th, but given that people are likely to wonder
about him, it may be best to start working on his bio as soon as possible.
I presume all three will be happy to help provide bio. Jan-Bart does not
have yet an account (did not at least 4 hours ago) so should get one.
Meanwhile, the meta bio can be used.

> I put a brief note on the Home. Copyediting will be appreciated.
>
> Well, and I would like the Board to give us priorities for
> translators, since around December 15, we have several things need to
> manage including:
> - Information about new board
> - Fundraising
> - Audited (and huge) ducuments, perhaps need a PDF editor
> - Disclaimer (translation ongoing)

Start with disclaimer

Fundraising pitch is ready. Translation can start. However, I need to
add the links. Will do tonight or tomorrow morning. I'll keep you
informed on that.

Continue with information about new board.

As soon as more fundraising data is produced, fundraising becomes top
priority.

Audited doc to do later. It is long, so it will take time. No need
exhausting ourselves.

> If we have a sorted list on the items above, I will be more than happy
> and expect we translators can work the most effectively ... when we
> are back (now 2:02 am, I go to bed now ......)
>
> n8,

Good night :-)

ant

Re: Welcome to our three new board members

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
You make some strong arguments, but when you say the 'majority of the
board' coming from the community, how many is this? Additionally, how
many of these are elected and how many are selected, so to speak?

Thanks,
Xyrael

On 08/12/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> our Board, and for the deep consideration they have given to these
> governance issues.
>
> Brad Patrick
>
> Tim Starling wrote:
> > florencedevouard wrote:
> >
> >> Tim Shell has chosen to resign from the board, effective 15th of
> >> december. At this date, he will be replaced by Jan-Bart de Vreede.
> >>

> > Out with one financial supporter of the Foundation and in with another. It
> > seems my calls for democratic selection of Board members fell on deaf ears.
> >
> > I have nothing against Jan-Bart personally, just as I had nothing against
> > Tim Shell. No doubt there were other factors that went into his selection
> > besides his role in the Kennisnet hosting arrangement. But I have trouble
> > believing that he would have been selected without it. I oppose his Board
> > membership on principle, just as I continue to oppose that of Michael Davis.

—Sean Whitton (Xyrael) [sean at silentflame dot com]
        Knowledge is power, but only wisdom is liberty.

On 12/8/06, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You make some strong arguments, but when you say the 'majority of the
> board' coming from the community, how many is this? Additionally, how
> many of these are elected and how many are selected, so to speak?

Anthere and I were directly elected. Kat and Oscar received the second
and the third most votes in the recent election, but the election was
formally only for one member to replace Angela. We decided that rather
than having an immediate new election, it would be best to recognize
those two individuals as Board members. Their terms, like mine, will
expire in July 2007.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Re: Welcome to our three new board members

Anthony DiPierro
On 12/8/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As will be made clear from the revisions to the Foundation Bylaws and
> the Board Expansion resolution adopted by the Board, your position is
> overstated.  Your call did not fall on 'deaf ears' - far from it.  You
> were heard.
>
> The Board will be composed of a majority of individuals from the
> community.  That does not require election of all board members, as you
> would prefer, only some.  Given the fiduciary responsibility required of
> all board members and the need for diverse talents, it is logical and
> effective to appoint some persons and not rely on an open election
> process for each position.
>
> Also, Board positions have terms now.  They are not indefinite, as
> Michael Davis, Tim Shell, and Jimmy Wales were in the past.  All will be
> subject to reappointment at the conclusion of their term, unless they
> resign earlier.
>
> The Board will also be expanded in size.  At this time, the number is
> now 7, up from 5.  It will increase further in the next year, probably to 9.

This is all great to hear.  Thanks to the board members who came up
with and supported this.  Sure, some compromises were evidently made,
but it's great to see a majority elected board and terms for the rest
of the positions.  Combined these two changes ensure that over time
the board is essentially entirely chosen by the community, a minority
just chosen indirectly.

Anthony