Welcoming OpenHatch to organize the pre-Wikimania hackathon

Welcoming OpenHatch to organize the pre-Wikimania hackathon

Sumana Harihareswara-2
OpenHatch is a non-profit dedicated to matching prospective free
software contributors with communities, tools, and education.  Wikimedia
Foundation is pleased to announce that we're partnering with OpenHatch
<http://openhatch.org/> to make the upcoming pre-Wikimania hackathon
even more useful.

Asheesh Laroia and other OpenHatch folks will be working with Katie
Filbert (Aude), Gregory Varnum (Varnent), and me to encourage and aid
the Wikimedia technical community, by designing and executing the
novice-focused half of the hackathon.  You'll see Asheesh in IRC as
"paulproteus".

I'm excited that we're working with OpenHatch on this.  I've borrowed
lessons from OpenHatch in structuring our events and educational
materials.  They are leaders in teaching new contributors, and in
building open source communities' capacity to nurture.  With OpenHatch's
help with this event (and with the documentation they write), I hope to
get scores of semitechnical Wikimedia editors over the barriers to
technical contribution.

OpenHatch will, among other tasks:
* Develop novice-focused curricula that include tutorials for novices
* Design at least three project-based exercises for novices, based on
the model OpenHatch created with its Python and open source workshops
* Review existing public reference and tutorial material on the topics
* Update or write relevant instructional documentation on mediawiki.org,
including writing high-quality setup instructions for a new developer's
development environment
* Find on-the-ground volunteers to help address problems that newcomers
will face
* Disseminate lessons learned to the Wikimedia community

You'll see Asheesh and his colleagues on the hackathon page at
https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon , in IRC channels
#mediawiki, #wikimania, and #openhatch, on wikitech-l, on Wikimania's
lists, and the new Wikimedia/OpenHatch event list:

Welcome!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

Re: [Wikimania-program] Welcoming OpenHatch to organize the pre-Wikimania hackathon

Nicholas Michael Bashour
This sounds fantastic! Thanks everyone for working to make sure that this event is successful and a highly valuable experience for all!

Sincerely,
Nicholas Michael Bashour

Sent from my iPhone

Am 18.06.2012 um 14:39 schrieb Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]>:

> OpenHatch is a non-profit dedicated to matching prospective free
> software contributors with communities, tools, and education.  Wikimedia
> Foundation is pleased to announce that we're partnering with OpenHatch
> <http://openhatch.org/> to make the upcoming pre-Wikimania hackathon
> even more useful.
>
> Asheesh Laroia and other OpenHatch folks will be working with Katie
> Filbert (Aude), Gregory Varnum (Varnent), and me to encourage and aid
> the Wikimedia technical community, by designing and executing the
> novice-focused half of the hackathon.  You'll see Asheesh in IRC as
> "paulproteus".
>
> I'm excited that we're working with OpenHatch on this.  I've borrowed
> lessons from OpenHatch in structuring our events and educational
> materials.  They are leaders in teaching new contributors, and in
> building open source communities' capacity to nurture.  With OpenHatch's
> help with this event (and with the documentation they write), I hope to
> get scores of semitechnical Wikimedia editors over the barriers to
> technical contribution.
>
> OpenHatch will, among other tasks:
> * Develop novice-focused curricula that include tutorials for novices
> * Design at least three project-based exercises for novices, based on
> the model OpenHatch created with its Python and open source workshops
> * Review existing public reference and tutorial material on the topics
> * Update or write relevant instructional documentation on mediawiki.org,
> including writing high-quality setup instructions for a new developer's
> development environment
> * Find on-the-ground volunteers to help address problems that newcomers
> will face
> * Disseminate lessons learned to the Wikimedia community
>
> You'll see Asheesh and his colleagues on the hackathon page at
> https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon , in IRC channels
> #mediawiki, #wikimania, and #openhatch, on wikitech-l, on Wikimania's
> lists, and the new Wikimedia/OpenHatch event list:
>
> Welcome!
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Engineering Community Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimania-program] Welcoming OpenHatch to organize the pre-Wikimania hackathon

Shujen Chang

Seems good! See you on Hackathon!

On Jun 19, 2012 2:49 AM, "Nicholas Bashour" <[hidden email]> wrote:
This sounds fantastic! Thanks everyone for working to make sure that this event is successful and a highly valuable experience for all!

Sincerely,
Nicholas Michael Bashour

Sent from my iPhone

Am 18.06.2012 um 14:39 schrieb Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]>:

> OpenHatch is a non-profit dedicated to matching prospective free
> software contributors with communities, tools, and education.  Wikimedia
> Foundation is pleased to announce that we're partnering with OpenHatch
> <http://openhatch.org/> to make the upcoming pre-Wikimania hackathon
> even more useful.
>
> Asheesh Laroia and other OpenHatch folks will be working with Katie
> Filbert (Aude), Gregory Varnum (Varnent), and me to encourage and aid
> the Wikimedia technical community, by designing and executing the
> novice-focused half of the hackathon.  You'll see Asheesh in IRC as
> "paulproteus".
>
> I'm excited that we're working with OpenHatch on this.  I've borrowed
> lessons from OpenHatch in structuring our events and educational
> materials.  They are leaders in teaching new contributors, and in
> building open source communities' capacity to nurture.  With OpenHatch's
> help with this event (and with the documentation they write), I hope to
> get scores of semitechnical Wikimedia editors over the barriers to
> technical contribution.
>
> OpenHatch will, among other tasks:
> * Develop novice-focused curricula that include tutorials for novices
> * Design at least three project-based exercises for novices, based on
> the model OpenHatch created with its Python and open source workshops
> * Review existing public reference and tutorial material on the topics
> * Update or write relevant instructional documentation on mediawiki.org,
> including writing high-quality setup instructions for a new developer's
> development environment
> * Find on-the-ground volunteers to help address problems that newcomers
> will face
> * Disseminate lessons learned to the Wikimedia community
>
> You'll see Asheesh and his colleagues on the hackathon page at
> https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon , in IRC channels
> #mediawiki, #wikimania, and #openhatch, on wikitech-l, on Wikimania's
> lists, and the new Wikimedia/OpenHatch event list:
>
> Welcome!
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Engineering Community Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Welcoming OpenHatch to organize the pre-Wikimania hackathon

Manuel Schneider-3
Hi Sumana,

thanks for sharing these news. Can you please elaborate a bit further
what OpenHatch is, in words comprehensible for non-native english speakers?

Am 18.06.2012 20:39, schrieb Sumana Harihareswara:
> OpenHatch is a non-profit dedicated to matching prospective free
> software contributors with communities, tools, and education.

Thanks,

Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Welcoming OpenHatch to organize the pre-Wikimania hackathon

James Hare
OpenHatch is a nonprofit that helps people who may be interested in
developing free software by connecting them to the right people and
tools.

Am 18.06.2012 23:01, schrieb James Hare:
> OpenHatch is a nonprofit that helps people who may be interested in
> developing free software by connecting them to the right people and
> tools.

thanks!

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Welcoming OpenHatch to organize the pre-Wikimania hackathon

rupert THURNER-2

Am 18.06.2012 20:40 schrieb "Sumana Harihareswara" <[hidden email]>:

> OpenHatch is a non-profit dedicated to matching prospective free
> software contributors with communities, tools, and education.  Wikimedia
> Foundation is pleased to announce that we're partnering with OpenHatch
> <http://openhatch.org/> to make the upcoming pre-Wikimania hackathon
> even more useful.
>
> Asheesh Laroia and other OpenHatch folks will be working with Katie
> Filbert (Aude), Gregory Varnum (Varnent), and me to encourage and aid
> the Wikimedia technical community, by designing and executing the
> novice-focused half of the hackathon.  You'll see Asheesh in IRC as
> "paulproteus".
>
> I'm excited that we're working with OpenHatch on this.  I've borrowed
> lessons from OpenHatch in structuring our events and educational
> materials.  They are leaders in teaching new contributors, and in
> building open source communities' capacity to nurture.  With OpenHatch's
> help with this event (and with the documentation they write), I hope to
> get scores of semitechnical Wikimedia editors over the barriers to
> technical contribution.
>
> OpenHatch will, among other tasks:
> * Develop novice-focused curricula that include tutorials for novices
> * Design at least three project-based exercises for novices, based on
> the model OpenHatch created with its Python and open source workshops
> * Review existing public reference and tutorial material on the topics
> * Update or write relevant instructional documentation on mediawiki.org,
> including writing high-quality setup instructions for a new developer's
> development environment
> * Find on-the-ground volunteers to help address problems that newcomers
> will face
> * Disseminate lessons learned to the Wikimedia community

Many thanks for sharing this! Is there any money flow involved im this partnership as well?

Rupert

On 06/19/2012 11:23 AM, rupert THURNER wrote:

> Am 18.06.2012 20:40 schrieb "Sumana Harihareswara" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> OpenHatch is a non-profit dedicated to matching prospective free
>> software contributors with communities, tools, and education.  Wikimedia
>> Foundation is pleased to announce that we're partnering with OpenHatch
>> <http://openhatch.org/> to make the upcoming pre-Wikimania hackathon
>> even more useful.
>>
>> Asheesh Laroia and other OpenHatch folks will be working with Katie
>> Filbert (Aude), Gregory Varnum (Varnent), and me to encourage and aid
>> the Wikimedia technical community, by designing and executing the
>> novice-focused half of the hackathon.  You'll see Asheesh in IRC as
>> "paulproteus".
>>
>> I'm excited that we're working with OpenHatch on this.  I've borrowed
>> lessons from OpenHatch in structuring our events and educational
>> materials.  They are leaders in teaching new contributors, and in
>> building open source communities' capacity to nurture.  With OpenHatch's
>> help with this event (and with the documentation they write), I hope to
>> get scores of semitechnical Wikimedia editors over the barriers to
>> technical contribution.
>>
>> OpenHatch will, among other tasks:
>> * Develop novice-focused curricula that include tutorials for novices
>> * Design at least three project-based exercises for novices, based on
>> the model OpenHatch created with its Python and open source workshops
>> * Review existing public reference and tutorial material on the topics
>> * Update or write relevant instructional documentation on mediawiki.org,
>> including writing high-quality setup instructions for a new developer's
>> development environment
>> * Find on-the-ground volunteers to help address problems that newcomers
>> will face
>> * Disseminate lessons learned to the Wikimedia community
>>

> Many thanks for sharing this! Is there any money flow involved im this
> partnership as well?
>
> Rupert

Thanks for the question, Rupert.  Yes, the Wikimedia Foundation
engineering department is paying OpenHatch for this work.  We hired
OpenHatch as a contractor.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

Re: Welcoming OpenHatch to organize the pre-Wikimania hackathon

rupert THURNER-2
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Sumana Harihareswara
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/19/2012 11:23 AM, rupert THURNER wrote:
>> Am 18.06.2012 20:40 schrieb "Sumana Harihareswara" <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> OpenHatch is a non-profit dedicated to matching prospective free
>>> software contributors with communities, tools, and education.  Wikimedia
>>> Foundation is pleased to announce that we're partnering with OpenHatch
>>> <http://openhatch.org/> to make the upcoming pre-Wikimania hackathon
>>> even more useful.
>>>
>>> Asheesh Laroia and other OpenHatch folks will be working with Katie

btw, jessica mckellar from openhatch was in zürich a couple of weeks
ago, giving a keynote of djangocon europe 2012 ... and btw a quite
interesting talk about "accessibility":
http://klewel.com/conferences/djangocon-2012/index.php?talkID=35

rupert.