What is the best Wiki for Knowledge management?

What is the best Wiki for Knowledge management?

Walter Welle
Looking for your suggestions on which one is the best for a call center?

Re: What is the best Wiki for Knowledge management?

James Mohr-3
On Monday 12 June 2006 15:58, Walter Welle wrote:
> Looking for your suggestions on which one is the best for a call center?

Hello Walter!

I work for a company that provides data center services and we naturally have
a hotline/help desk for our customers. Although I would not classify it as a
traditional call center, we have many of the same elements. Two important
aspects for us were quick access to information along multiple paths (search,
hierarchy, breadcrumbs, categories, and forth) and the ability to add
functionality that was ist not present by default. MediaWiki offers both of
these and more.

Personally, I don't think the question should be "which one is the best for a
call center?" because no two call centers are 100% alike. You sould come up
with a list of criteria and look for something that best fits that list.
Although you definately need to pay attention to the elements that you
absolutely have to have, don't be thrown off if a product does not seem to
have the ability on the surface. For example, MediaWiki does not have the
ability to create PDF files of a specific set of pages that we can send to
customer. However, it **does** allow you to easily add that functionality and
I am currently working on the methodology.

Let us know exatly what you are looking for and we will do our best to help.

Regards,

jimmo

Re: What is the best Wiki for Knowledge management?

ruud habets
James Mohr schreef:
> On Monday 12 June 2006 15:58, Walter Welle wrote:
>
>> Looking for your suggestions on which one is the best for a call center?
>>

> have the ability on the surface. For example, MediaWiki does not have the
> ability to create PDF files of a specific set of pages that we can send to
> customer. However, it **does** allow you to easily add that functionality and
sure it does, james.

install any pdf-printer and print ay wiki-page

ruud

Re: What is the best Wiki for Knowledge management?

Walter Welle
I see many wiki's I am looking for which one is best used along with KCS
methodologies.
I am pulling together requirements for our kbase now and would like to
see what versions folks are using for their knowledge base...HTH thanks!

Kind Regards

Walter Welle

On Monday 12 June 2006 15:58, Walter Welle wrote:
> Looking for your suggestions on which one is the best for a call
center?

Hello Walter!

I work for a company that provides data center services and we naturally
have
a hotline/help desk for our customers. Although I would not classify it
as a
traditional call center, we have many of the same elements. Two
important
aspects for us were quick access to information along multiple paths
(search,
hierarchy, breadcrumbs, categories, and forth) and the ability to add
functionality that was ist not present by default. MediaWiki offers both
of
these and more.

Personally, I don't think the question should be "which one is the best
for a
call center?" because no two call centers are 100% alike. You sould come
up
with a list of criteria and look for something that best fits that list.

Although you definately need to pay attention to the elements that you
absolutely have to have, don't be thrown off if a product does not seem
have the ability on the surface. For example, MediaWiki does not have
the
ability to create PDF files of a specific set of pages that we can send
customer. However, it **does** allow you to easily add that
functionality and
I am currently working on the methodology.

Let us know exatly what you are looking for and we will do our best to
help.

Regards,

jimmo

Re: What is the best Wiki for Knowledge management?

Tels
Moin,

On Monday 12 June 2006 19:30, ruud habets wrote:

> James Mohr schreef:
> > On Monday 12 June 2006 15:58, Walter Welle wrote:
> >> Looking for your suggestions on which one is the best for a call
> >> center?
> >
> > have the ability on the surface. For example, MediaWiki does not have
> > the ability to create PDF files of a specific set of pages that we
> > can send to customer. However, it **does** allow you to easily add
> > that functionality and
>
> sure it does, james.
>
> install any pdf-printer and print ay wiki-page
That only prints single pages, tho.

wiki2xml should be able to handle this in the future more easily, it can
already handle multi-page output. Currently missing is a good way to
specify in bulk which pages you want together, thats f.i. important for
printing presentations, too.

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Mon Jun 12 21:25:50 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
 he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -- Terry Pratchett

Re: What is the best Wiki for Knowledge management?

James Mohr-3
On Monday 12 June 2006 19:30, ruud habets wrote:

> James Mohr schreef:
> > On Monday 12 June 2006 15:58, Walter Welle wrote:
> >> Looking for your suggestions on which one is the best for a call center?
> >
> > have the ability on the surface. For example, MediaWiki does not have the
> > ability to create PDF files of a specific set of pages that we can send
> > to customer. However, it **does** allow you to easily add that
> > functionality and
>
> sure it does, james.
>
> install any pdf-printer and print ay wiki-page
>
> ruud

Sorry, you missed the point. I said "a specific set of pages", with emphasis
on "set". I know I can print (i.e. convert) a single wiki page to PDF.
Current, the PDFs that we send to our customers are 100-250 pages, which
would most likely represent at least that many wiki articles, if not more.
Unless I am mistaken the only way to currently print a *set* of pages is do
them individually or export the pages invidually and convert them. So, the
challenge lies in the mechanism to get a set single pages into a single unit,
which is then converted to PDF **as a unit**.

Regards,

jimmo

On Monday 12 June 2006 21:12, Walter Welle wrote:
> I see many wiki's I am looking for which one is best used along with KCS
> methodologies.
> I am pulling together requirements for our kbase now and would like to
> see what versions folks are using for their knowledge base...HTH thanks!
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Walter Welle

Hi Walter!

I see something like KCS as simply giving a catchy name to something that has
been around for years. I did a lot of research on help desk/hotline tools
for my book "Supporting Windows NT and 2000 Workstation and Server". To be
honest, I am not completely happy with the way it turned out (because of
certain marketing decisions). However, even at the time I wrote it (1999)
there were already a number of products on the market that approached support
like that. For example, "known problems" with "known solutions".

The problem is the integration between the help desk tool and the knowledge
base. Assume I take the first call with the new knowledge base for a "known
problem". I have to get the information into the KB. How do do it? Manually?
Does my help desk tool provide a mechanism (directly or indirectly)? If I am
the second what to take a "known problem" how do I query the KB from the help
desk in order to find the answer?

Please don't get me wrong, I used to be a member of the HDI many years ago.
(about the time I wrote the book) However, I don't really seen anything new
in KCS. Still, from what I have seen, there are a number of documents on KCS
that do a good job of cutting off the fat and getting to the meat and the
concept is sound.

Regards,

jimmo

On Monday 12 June 2006 21:32, Elliott Franklin Cable wrote:
> Substitute them in another page before printing? {{:Pagename}} kind
> of thing? I know, cumbersome, but somewhat better.

Cool. I was thinking about a single page with a list of pages to include, but
I wasn't really sure about the actual mechanism. My only concern is what
happens when you load a page with that many other pages that the resulting
PDF would be 250 pages long? I'm not worried about it being slow as we would
only be doing this once a month. I am just wondering how MediaWiki would
react.

regards,

jimmo

Re: What is the best Wiki for Knowledge management?

Walter Welle
Must.... Change.... Subject......

:)

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Walter Welle

On Monday 12 June 2006 21:32, Elliott Franklin Cable wrote:
> Substitute them in another page before printing? {{:Pagename}} kind
> of thing? I know, cumbersome, but somewhat better.

Cool. I was thinking about a single page with a list of pages to
include, but
I wasn't really sure about the actual mechanism. My only concern is what

happens when you load a page with that many other pages that the
resulting
PDF would be 250 pages long? I'm not worried about it being slow as we
would
only be doing this once a month. I am just wondering how MediaWiki would

react.

regards,

jimmo

Re: What is the best Wiki for Knowledge management?

Walter Welle
Thanks for your input. So is MediaWiki the mainstream  app for KM?
regardless of type. Im looking for the wiki that has the best set of
features for a KM tool...
Thanks!

Kind Regards

Walter Welle

On Monday 12 June 2006 21:12, Walter Welle wrote:
> I see many wiki's I am looking for which one is best used along with
KCS
> methodologies.
> I am pulling together requirements for our kbase now and would like to
> see what versions folks are using for their knowledge base...HTH
thanks!

> Kind Regards
>
> Walter Welle

Hi Walter!

I see something like KCS as simply giving a catchy name to something
that has
been around for years. I did a lot of research on help desk/hotline
tools
for my book "Supporting Windows NT and 2000 Workstation and Server". To
be
honest, I am not completely happy with the way it turned out (because of

certain marketing decisions). However, even at the time I wrote it
(1999)
there were already a number of products on the market that approached
support
like that. For example, "known problems" with "known solutions".

The problem is the integration between the help desk tool and the
knowledge
base. Assume I take the first call with the new knowledge base for a
"known
problem". I have to get the information into the KB. How do do it?
Manually?
Does my help desk tool provide a mechanism (directly or indirectly)? If
I am
the second what to take a "known problem" how do I query the KB from the
help
desk in order to find the answer?

Please don't get me wrong, I used to be a member of the HDI many years
ago.
(about the time I wrote the book) However, I don't really seen anything
new
in KCS. Still, from what I have seen, there are a number of documents on
KCS
that do a good job of cutting off the fat and getting to the meat and
the
concept is sound.

Regards,

jimmo

Re: What is the best Wiki for Knowledge management?

MHart
I host a couple of call center wikis for Intuit. One is for agents and one
is for coaches - info for agents such as phone numbers and links to
resources, other is for coaches best practices and documents and such.

- MHart

On Monday 12 June 2006 22:11, Walter Welle wrote:
> Thanks for your input. So is MediaWiki the mainstream  app for KM?
> regardless of type. Im looking for the wiki that has the best set of
> features for a KM tool...
> Thanks!
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Walter Welle

Go read the KCS stuff again. The tool is *not* the solution. The method is the
solution. Doing it is the solution. Making the knowledge accessible is the
solution. Management's attitude is solution. The tool is just a tool. If you
write down solutions on paper and store them in binders which everyone can
use and you have everyone's support, you are better off than a hot software
product that no on buys into.

Not only does management have to buy into it, but so do the people using it.
We have several tools in our department that the manager bought because he
though were cool. Unfortunately, they are not easy to use, other products he
have already did the same things and they cost a lot of money. Spending tens
of thousands of dollars for a tool is a waste of money without the support of
everyone involved.

Define "best"? McDonalds is best because it has the Big Mac. No, Burger King
is best because it has the Wopper. Get the point?

What happens if there are 10 things that make the "best set of
features", but you absolutely have to have 5 features that are not included in
the "best set"? Your best set is not my best set.

If KCS is a buzz word that managers are tossing around because they heard it
at a conferences or read it in a magazine, you may have big trouble because
they won't know how to support you.

What is "knowledge management"? I'll bet none of your managers can define it.
If they can't, how can they find a tool with the "best set of features". In
my experience, most of the references I know says it is the process through
which companies or other organizations generate value from their knowledge
assets. (paraphrased) The key word is "process" not "tool".

If you decide that a wiki is the solution for your business, then I would bet
money you would be hard pressed to find something with as many feaures.
However, do you need these features. Does another wiki offer features you
need. On the other hand, we need one important feature that MediaWiki does
not have. However, we can take advantage of existing features to build the
solution ourselves. If you get an off-the-shelf product, you can typically
forget things like that.

You need to come up with a list of features and compare them with MediaWiki
and any thing else you are looking at.

Regards,

jimmo