What percentage of digital assistants cite Wikipedia?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

What percentage of digital assistants cite Wikipedia?

Stella Yu-2
Curious, what percentage of digital assistants (Alexa, Siri, Cortana,
Google) cite Wikipedia when a person asks a question?

Does the current Wikipedia mobile app support voice search?

Are there any reports on this? Thanks in advance!

Sincere regards,

Stella
--
Stella Yu | STELLARESULTS | 415 690 7827
"Chronicling heritage brands and legendary people."
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: What percentage of digital assistants cite Wikipedia?

Adam Baso
Stella, would you please clarify? Are you asking *which* of these four
assistants note Wikipedia in their responses? I've experienced Alexa, Siri,
and Google Assistant sourcing information, depending on the context. I
don't have firsthand experience with Cortana (other than the Windows 10
startup routine with a fresh machine image), although maybe someone on the
list knows.

The Wikipedia for iOS and Wikipedia for Android apps get the inbuilt
keyboard soft button microphone support for search contexts, although
they're not arranged for this as their *primary* search behavior. I've seen
user requests for and, incidentally, expressed interest in, this sort of
thing (e.g., as a configuration option for launch), although it may not map
up neatly to the user personas that would/do use the apps and would
certainly require some deeper user experience review for consideration.



On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Stella Yu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Curious, what percentage of digital assistants (Alexa, Siri, Cortana,
> Google) cite Wikipedia when a person asks a question?
>
> Does the current Wikipedia mobile app support voice search?
>
> Are there any reports on this? Thanks in advance!
>
> Sincere regards,
>
> Stella
> --
> Stella Yu | STELLARESULTS | 415 690 7827
> "Chronicling heritage brands and legendary people."
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: What percentage of digital assistants cite Wikipedia?

Richard Nevell
In reply to this post by Stella Yu-2
In this context, what counts as citing?

On 5 August 2017 at 02:38, Stella Yu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Curious, what percentage of digital assistants (Alexa, Siri, Cortana,
> Google) cite Wikipedia when a person asks a question?
>
> Does the current Wikipedia mobile app support voice search?
>
> Are there any reports on this? Thanks in advance!
>
> Sincere regards,
>
> Stella
> --
> Stella Yu | STELLARESULTS | 415 690 7827
> "Chronicling heritage brands and legendary people."
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>



--
Richard Nevell
Project Coordinator
Wikimedia UK - sign up to our newsletter <http://eepurl.com/cnYOw5>
+44 (0) 20 7065 0921

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and
Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered
Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.
United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia
movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: What percentage of digital assistants cite Wikipedia?

Stella Yu-2
In reply to this post by Adam Baso
Hello All,

Yes. Which of the digital assistants (Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant,
Cortana) source/cite Wikipedia? Are there any ongoing studies on the bias
of digital assistants towards a specific source? Citing specifically means,
when a user enables any of the above-mentioned digital assistants by
asking, "What is or Who is" questions, when is Wikipedia a source?

Apologies for the grammar jumble.


Sincere regards,

Stella
--
Stella Yu | STELLARESULTS | 415 690 7827
"Chronicling heritage brands and legendary people."

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Adam Baso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stella, would you please clarify? Are you asking *which* of these four
> assistants note Wikipedia in their responses? I've experienced Alexa, Siri,
> and Google Assistant sourcing information, depending on the context. I
> don't have firsthand experience with Cortana (other than the Windows 10
> startup routine with a fresh machine image), although maybe someone on the
> list knows.
>
> The Wikipedia for iOS and Wikipedia for Android apps get the inbuilt
> keyboard soft button microphone support for search contexts, although
> they're not arranged for this as their *primary* search behavior. I've seen
> user requests for and, incidentally, expressed interest in, this sort of
> thing (e.g., as a configuration option for launch), although it may not map
> up neatly to the user personas that would/do use the apps and would
> certainly require some deeper user experience review for consideration.
>
>
>
> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Stella Yu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Curious, what percentage of digital assistants (Alexa, Siri, Cortana,
> > Google) cite Wikipedia when a person asks a question?
> >
> > Does the current Wikipedia mobile app support voice search?
> >
> > Are there any reports on this? Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Sincere regards,
> >
> > Stella
> > --
> > Stella Yu | STELLARESULTS | 415 690 7827
> > "Chronicling heritage brands and legendary people."
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wiki-research-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: What percentage of digital assistants cite Wikipedia?

Adam Baso
Thanks for clarifying.

I'm unsure about research about the frequency of sources - not sure if
others on the list are aware of it or looking into it.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 7:03 PM Stella Yu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Yes. Which of the digital assistants (Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant,
> Cortana) source/cite Wikipedia? Are there any ongoing studies on the bias
> of digital assistants towards a specific source? Citing specifically means,
> when a user enables any of the above-mentioned digital assistants by
> asking, "What is or Who is" questions, when is Wikipedia a source?
>
> Apologies for the grammar jumble.
>
>
> Sincere regards,
>
> Stella
> --
> Stella Yu | STELLARESULTS | 415 690 7827
> "Chronicling heritage brands and legendary people."
>
> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Adam Baso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Stella, would you please clarify? Are you asking *which* of these four
> > assistants note Wikipedia in their responses? I've experienced Alexa,
> Siri,
> > and Google Assistant sourcing information, depending on the context. I
> > don't have firsthand experience with Cortana (other than the Windows 10
> > startup routine with a fresh machine image), although maybe someone on
> the
> > list knows.
> >
> > The Wikipedia for iOS and Wikipedia for Android apps get the inbuilt
> > keyboard soft button microphone support for search contexts, although
> > they're not arranged for this as their *primary* search behavior. I've
> seen
> > user requests for and, incidentally, expressed interest in, this sort of
> > thing (e.g., as a configuration option for launch), although it may not
> map
> > up neatly to the user personas that would/do use the apps and would
> > certainly require some deeper user experience review for consideration.
> >
> >
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Stella Yu <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Curious, what percentage of digital assistants (Alexa, Siri, Cortana,
> > > Google) cite Wikipedia when a person asks a question?
> > >
> > > Does the current Wikipedia mobile app support voice search?
> > >
> > > Are there any reports on this? Thanks in advance!
> > >
> > > Sincere regards,
> > >
> > > Stella
> > > --
> > > Stella Yu | STELLARESULTS | 415 690 7827
> > > "Chronicling heritage brands and legendary people."
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wiki-research-l mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wiki-research-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: What percentage of digital assistants cite Wikipedia?

Ward Cunningham
In reply to this post by Stella Yu-2

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 4:02 PM, Stella Yu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Which of the digital assistants (Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant,
> Cortana) source/cite Wikipedia?

I would assume that each of these device operators would have detailed analytics regarding the degree that they reuse Wikimedia content. Editors might be inspired to know the extension of reach thus provided. I wonder if the foundation, or some academic institution, might be a suitable intermediary to work with the operators to make this information generally available so as to encourage continued volunteer participation.
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: What percentage of digital assistants cite Wikipedia?

koltzenburg
Ward, I think that quite a few editors would like to know,
indeed,

best,
Claudia

---------- Original Message -----------
From:Ward Cunningham <[hidden email]>
To:Research into Wikimedia content and communities
<[hidden email]>
Cc:[hidden email]
Sent:Sun, 13 Aug 2017 10:19:58 -0700
Subject:Re: [Wiki-research-l] What percentage of digital
assistants cite Wikipedia?

> > On Aug 11, 2017, at 4:02 PM, Stella Yu
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Which of the digital assistants (Alexa, Siri, Google
Assistant,

> > Cortana) source/cite Wikipedia?
>
> I would assume that each of these device operators
> would have detailed analytics regarding the degree
> that they reuse Wikimedia content. Editors might
> be inspired to know the extension of reach thus
> provided. I wonder if the foundation, or some
> academic institution, might be a suitable
> intermediary to work with the operators to make
> this information generally available so as to
> encourage continued volunteer participation.
_______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-
> research-l
------- End of Original Message -------


_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Loading...