What should be the name of Wikipedia in Sanskrit Language.

What should be the name of Wikipedia in Sanskrit Language.

Naveen Sankar
What should be the name of wikipedia in Sanskrit Language - विकिपीडियः, विकिपीडिया, विकिपीडियम् or merely विकिपीडिय.

സസ്നേഹം | With love

നവീൻ ശങ്കർ | Naveen Sankar

Re: What should be the name of Wikipedia in Sanskrit Language.

Swaroop Rao
I think विकिपीडिया should be fine, as it is a noun usage. Just विकिपीडिय could be improper.

Regards,
Swaroop G Rao
(MikeLynch)

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 16:41, Naveen Sankar <[hidden email]> wrote:
What should be the name of wikipedia in Sanskrit Language - विकिपीडियः, विकिपीडिया, विकिपीडियम् or merely विकिपीडिय.

സസ്നേഹം | With love

നവീൻ ശങ്കർ | Naveen Sankar

Re: What should be the name of Wikipedia in Sanskrit Language.

Naveen Sankar
Swaroop, I do also believe in the same way.

There was a discussion among the Malayalam Wikipedians about the new logo appeared in the Sankrit Wikipedia.  The new logo shows the name  merely as विकिपीडिय.  I agreed that it reads as Wikipedia itself (not like in Hindi.  In Hindi विकिपीडिय reads as Wikipediy).  But for it to be in the nature of Sanskrit Language, it should be in nominative case i.e in प्रथमा विभक्ती - एकवचनरूपम् .  That means the name of Wikipedia should appear as विकिपीडियः in masculine gender, or as विकिपीडिया in feminine gender, or as विकिपीडियम् in  neuter gender.  But the wikipedian Thachan Makan ([hidden email]) disagreed and said that the name as विकिपीडिय itself is sufficient.  Thachan Makan also pointed out that the person Hari Prasad Nadig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:HPN ), who designed the new logo, may have sufficient knowledge in Sanskrit.  Then the wikipedian Shiju Akex ([hidden email])  asked that if we consider विकिपीडिय as a foreign word, whether it would be acceptable.  Then also I disagreed.  Considering विकिपीडिय as a foreign word also do not solve the problem.  I still do believe that, as a name, it should appear as  विकिपीडियः or as  विकिपीडिया or as विकिपीडियम्. By this time, Hrishikesh ([hidden email]) supported the second name विकिपीडिया.  I further tried to make the things more clear to  Shiju Alex by citing some examples from dictionaries and explaining sandhi rules, adjective rules and samasa rules of Sanskrit.  At this point, by citing the contributions of Hari Prasad Nadig in Sanskrit Wikipedia, Shiju said that Nadig may not have enough expertice in Sanskrit. But Shiju accepted Nadig's contribution in the Sanskrit Wikipedia logo as such by assuming that Nadig would have consulted experts from organisations like Sanskrit Bharati. Shiju also suggested to discuss this subject either in Sanskrit Wikipedia or its Mailing List so as to make both active. Now the subject is in Sanskrit Wikipedia's mailing list.

സസ്നേഹം | With love

നവീൻ ശങ്കർ | Naveen Sankar

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Swaroop Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think विकिपीडिया should be fine, as it is a noun usage. Just विकिपीडिय could be improper.

Regards,
Swaroop G Rao
(MikeLynch)

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 16:41, Naveen Sankar <[hidden email]> wrote:
What should be the name of wikipedia in Sanskrit Language - विकिपीडियः, विकिपीडिया, विकिपीडियम् or merely विकिपीडिय.

സസ്നേഹം | With love

നവീൻ ശങ്കർ | Naveen Sankar

Fwd: What should be the name of Wikipedia in Sanskrit Language.

Naveen Sankar

Re: What should be the name of Wikipedia in Sanskrit Language.

Shiju Alex
As a person who cannot speak or understand Sanskrit I cannot comment much on this. I saw Wikipedia (विकिपीडिय in Sanskrit) as a new/foreign word. Usually we transliterate these type of words. So I assume what Hari did is right.

But now the question is, whether we need to consider gender for the word Wikipedia. I think it will be more better if sanskrit experts and people who has knowledge in Sanskrit comment on that.

Shiju

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Naveen Sankar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dinesh Vellakkat
 ilike the feminine form. may be because edipus complex.विकिपीडिया is more close to the pronounsiation of that word in other languages. we can also consider whether there is deergha in english and other languages.
i also comment that there should be a संस्कृतिकरणम  needed before using in संस्कृत। अतः कस्मिंश्चित लिंगे एव प्रयोक्तव्यः .

Re: What should be the name of Wikipedia in Sanskrit Language.

Sri Raghava Kiran Mukku
namastE

I support using "विकीपीडिया"--- it makes sense in writing what is pronounced. BTW, Wikipedia is written in this manner in Telugu (my mother tongue), Tamil, Hindi, Bengali, Oriya, Marathi, Gujarati...

However, interestingly, to my knowledge, it is only in Kannada and Malayalam that Wikipedia is written as विकीपीडिय.

Regards,
Raghava

Re: What should be the name of Wikipedia in Sanskrit Language.

Santhosh Thottingal-2
On Mon, February 28, 2011 11:07 am, Sri Raghava Kiran Mukku wrote:
> However, interestingly, to my knowledge, it is only in Kannada and
> Malayalam
> that Wikipedia is written as विकीपीडिय.

This is because these languages prefer nouns ending with short 'a' vowel
to long vowel 'aa'. It is very rare to see a name ending with 'kaa' or
'yaa' or 'paa' etc in Malayalam.
But if you see Tamil, they prefer nouns with long a vowel examples:
ராதிகா (Radhikaa), ராதா(raadhaa), இந்தியா(Indiaa).

Hindi and some other Indo Aryan languages delete the schwa at the end of
the noun, and if we write विकीपीडिय it is read as 'wikipediy' , the 'ə'
pronunciation is deleted at the end. But I think it is not there in
Sanskrit.
More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa_deletion_in_Indo-Aryan_languages

Thanks