Where are the network graphs?

David Gerard-2
I was looking for these to show off to a friend (I said the funding
drive was mostly for boxes and bandwidth, they were curious as to just
how much we actually served) and couldn't find them. I thought they
were on http://ganglia.wikimedia.org/ but that appears to be CPU and
memory. Are the network and bandwidth charts still up anywhere?

- d.

Re: Where are the network graphs?

Rob Church
> I was looking for these to show off to a friend (I said the funding
> drive was mostly for boxes and bandwidth, they were curious as to just
> how much we actually served) and couldn't find them. I thought they
> were on http://ganglia.wikimedia.org/ but that appears to be CPU and
> memory. Are the network and bandwidth charts still up anywhere?

Mark appears to have some that are updated at
http://www.nedworks.org/~mark/reqstats, e.g.
http://www.nedworks.org/~mark/reqstats/reqstats-hourly.png - is this
what you're after?

Rob Church

On 18/12/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 18/12/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I was looking for these to show off to a friend (I said the funding
> > drive was mostly for boxes and bandwidth, they were curious as to just
> > how much we actually served) and couldn't find them. I thought they
> > were on http://ganglia.wikimedia.org/ but that appears to be CPU and
> > memory. Are the network and bandwidth charts still up anywhere?

> Mark appears to have some that are updated at
> http://www.nedworks.org/~mark/reqstats, e.g.
> http://www.nedworks.org/~mark/reqstats/reqstats-hourly.png - is this
> what you're after?

That's the sort of thing :-) I just remember from a year or two ago a
scary set of Ganglia-generated graphs with a worrying upward trend ...

- d.

Re: Where are the network graphs?

Rob Church
> That's the sort of thing :-) I just remember from a year or two ago a
> scary set of Ganglia-generated graphs with a worrying upward trend ...

I remember them as well; there were some on Kohl, I think, in home
directories. It's possible those got lost/disabled somehow when we had
that whole NFS mount business?

Rob Church

Re: Where are the network graphs?

Jay Ashworth-2
> I was looking for these to show off to a friend (I said the funding
drive was mostly for boxes and bandwidth, they were curious as to just
how much we actually served) and couldn't find them. I thought they
were on http://ganglia.wikimedia.org/ but that appears to be CPU and
memory. Are the network and bandwidth charts still up anywhere?

Well, my somewhat aged page with useful such links is at

   https://wikitech.leuksman.com/view/Collected_Status

though I haven't tested them all recently.

Cheers,
-- jra

Re: Where are the network graphs?

On 18/12/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 18/12/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > That's the sort of thing :-) I just remember from a year or two ago a
> > scary set of Ganglia-generated graphs with a worrying upward trend ...

> I remember them as well; there were some on Kohl, I think, in home
> directories. It's possible those got lost/disabled somehow when we had
> that whole NFS mount business?

Sounds familiar. I ask because I put a begging notice on my livejournal:

  http://reddragdiva.livejournal.com/375133.html

- and the geeks promptly asked for detailed info. As they would be expected to.

(And I realise Alexa numbers are less than widely respected, but still
consider that they give us some idea of scale, i.e. we're currently in
the range of 1/5 to 1/10 Google's page views. JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION
GET IN THE CAR)

- d.

Re: Where are the network graphs?

Gregory Maxwell
[snip]
> (And I realise Alexa numbers are less than widely respected, but still
> consider that they give us some idea of scale, i.e. we're currently in
> the range of 1/5 to 1/10 Google's page views. JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION
> GET IN THE CAR)

You're giving too much credibility to the alexa data. There are sites
which are ranked somewhat lower than us which I know for a fact are
processing more req/s.

It is indisputable, however, that we are one of the more visited sites around.

On 18/12/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You're giving too much credibility to the alexa data. There are sites
> which are ranked somewhat lower than us which I know for a fact are
> processing more req/s.

When it comes down to convincing people to give us cash, what's a
little unreliable data among people who know better?

Rob Church

Re: Where are the network graphs?

Simetrical
On 12/18/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/18/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [snip]
> > (And I realise Alexa numbers are less than widely respected, but still
> > consider that they give us some idea of scale, i.e. we're currently in
> > the range of 1/5 to 1/10 Google's page views. JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION
> > GET IN THE CAR)
>
> You're giving too much credibility to the alexa data. There are sites
> which are ranked somewhat lower than us which I know for a fact are
> processing more req/s.

The key is *somewhat*.  There are probably very few sites ranked
under, say, 30-50 (or at least under 100) that actually get more
traffic than Wikipedia.  Alexa is acceptable for very rough ballparks,
although how rough exactly would be interesting to statistically
analyze.

Re: Where are the network graphs?

Brad Patrick
http://www.nedworks.org/~mark/reqstats/ is where Mark Bergsma has our
traffic information.  Pay attention to the monthly and yearly graphs;
the trendline is unmistakeable.

David Gerard wrote:

> I was looking for these to show off to a friend (I said the funding
> drive was mostly for boxes and bandwidth, they were curious as to just
> how much we actually served) and couldn't find them. I thought they
> were on http://ganglia.wikimedia.org/ but that appears to be CPU and
> memory. Are the network and bandwidth charts still up anywhere?
>

> - d.

Re: Where are the network graphs?

On 18/12/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 12/18/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > (And I realise Alexa numbers are less than widely respected, but still
> > consider that they give us some idea of scale, i.e. we're currently in
> > the range of 1/5 to 1/10 Google's page views. JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION
> > GET IN THE CAR)

> You're giving too much credibility to the alexa data. There are sites
> which are ranked somewhat lower than us which I know for a fact are
> processing more req/s.

That's a pity - 70,000 users is really quite a high-resolution sample
[*]; it's a pity their sample selection is evidently crappy.

> It is indisputable, however, that we are one of the more visited sites around.

The traffic stats yearly graph makes that clear. 1 gigabit/second
sustained, doubling in the last six months ... if we could just slow
it down to Moore's Law rates ...

[*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error - in a result which
many statistics students find surprising, the margin of error depends
*only* on the number of samples taken, not on the size of the sampled
population. Most political polls, for example, sample about 2000
people; sampling 70k is a *lot* of people.

- d.

Re: Where are the network graphs?

On 18/12/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 18/12/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > You're giving too much credibility to the alexa data. There are sites
> > which are ranked somewhat lower than us which I know for a fact are
> > processing more req/s.

> When it comes down to convincing people to give us cash, what's a
> little unreliable data among people who know better?

They'll be reading this thread and want the real numbers? ;-)

- d.

Re: Where are the network graphs?

On 18/12/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 18/12/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > You're giving too much credibility to the alexa data. There are sites
> > which are ranked somewhat lower than us which I know for a fact are
> > processing more req/s.

> When it comes down to convincing people to give us cash, what's a
> little unreliable data among people who know better?

They'll be reading this thread and want the real numbers? ;-)

- d.

Re: Where are the network graphs?

Gregory Maxwell
>That's a pity - 70,000 users is really quite a high-resolution sample
>[*]; it's a pity their sample selection is evidently crappy.

Three cheers for the self-selecting sample.

> They'll be reading this thread and want the real numbers? ;-)

Well, the link has been given... and the same data has been previously
provided to other donors, it's just that it never made it onto the
pages.

The graphs themselves are a bit hard to read because the daily
volatility swamps the short term growth... If only I there were stocks
which I could trade that followed our traffic patterns.

Keep in mind that roughly 2/3 of the overall requests are images, so a
correction must be applied to convert req/s to approximate page
views/src.