Where did our translation go?

Mormegil
I am not sure who is to blame, so I am sending my rant here.

The Czech (cs) row at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2009/Translation is
almost completely green (with one exception of yellow “Candidates”).
If I check http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2009/Vote_interface/cs
then, indeed, it is correctly translated, and has been correctly
translated almost immediately after it has been created.

But still, when I went to my home http://cs.wikipedia.org/ today and
clicked on the centralnotice to vote, I landed on
http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:SecurePoll/vote/17, where the
introductory sentence is in English! (Check
http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:SecurePoll/vote/17?uselang=cs)
OK, no big deal, one English sentence slipped through, I thought…
Clicking through to get to spi.org, and, at their server… the whole
explanation text is in English again…

It kind of reduces the motivation to translate, doesn’t it? (The only
good thing is that I personally did not take part in this specific
translation, so it has not been my own work wasted.)

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

Re: Where did our translation go?

Tan Vinh Tran
I'm sorry I can't check the "Go vote" link from your wiki (not enough edits
I guess). But I guess the problem is the user interface you have chosen in
the wiki you clicked "Go vote". Hope somebody else can test it.
---
Tân

2009/8/5 Tan Vinh TRAN <[hidden email]>:
> I'm sorry I can't check the "Go vote" link from your wiki (not enough edits
> I guess). But I guess the problem is the user interface you have chosen in
> the wiki you clicked "Go vote". Hope somebody else can test it.

Nope, I’m afraid not. I have Czech selected, the same behavior is with
explicit uselang=cs, and the rest of the user interface at spi.org is
in Czech (sidebar, the submit button caption), the language gets
passed correctly, only the translated messages are not there. You can
see that at https://wikimedia.spi-inc.org/index.php/Special:SecurePoll/translate/17/cs
(cf. eg. https://wikimedia.spi-inc.org/index.php/Special:SecurePoll/translate/17/de)

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

Re: Where did our translation go?

Jan Urbánek
I am the translator of this message. I spoke with this problem to Casey Brown (Kibble) like week or two ago. He told me there was some bug and it should be fixed in about an hour.

Well, we all see.

Zirland

2009/8/5 Petr Kadlec <[hidden email]>
2009/8/5 Tan Vinh TRAN <[hidden email]>:
> I'm sorry I can't check the "Go vote" link from your wiki (not enough edits
> I guess). But I guess the problem is the user interface you have chosen in
> the wiki you clicked "Go vote". Hope somebody else can test it.

Nope, I’m afraid not. I have Czech selected, the same behavior is with
explicit uselang=cs, and the rest of the user interface at spi.org is
in Czech (sidebar, the submit button caption), the language gets
passed correctly, only the translated messages are not there. You can
see that at https://wikimedia.spi-inc.org/index.php/Special:SecurePoll/translate/17/cs
(cf. eg. https://wikimedia.spi-inc.org/index.php/Special:SecurePoll/translate/17/de)

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

Re: Where did our translation go?

Casey Brown-5
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Petr Kadlec<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Clicking through to get to spi.org, and, at their server… the whole
> explanation text is in English again…

That's not good, I'll ask someone to update it now.

> It kind of reduces the motivation to translate, doesn’t it?

The main person whose work was wasted was mine, and perhaps egg who
copyedited.  We did our best to reuse translations from previous years
so that there was the least amount of work for you guys (only
copyediting work) since we got these texts at the last minute.  I'm
not sure how this page slipped through the cracks when Tim's script
updated spiwiki.

> It kind of reduces the motivation to translate, doesn’t it?

You're right that this is not good, we do our best to avoid situations
like this (finding proofreaders so already translated texts can be
published, getting people to finish so that the work already done is
not a waste, making sure texts are published as soon as possible) but
sometimes they happen anyway.  Thank you for pointing it out to the
list, we can't get it fixed if we don't know the problem's there.

> (The only
> good thing is that I personally did not take part in this specific
> translation, so it has not been my own work wasted.)

Actually, it *was* your work (and some others') from over a year ago. ;-)

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Jan Urbánek<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am the translator of this message. I spoke with this problem to Casey
> Brown (Kibble) like week or two ago. He told me there was some bug and it
> should be fixed in about an hour.

That was the CentralNotice, wasn't it?

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Casey Brown<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's not good, I'll ask someone to update it now.

Wernda just manually added it to spi wiki, could you please look to
make sure it's okay for you?

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

2009/8/5 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>:
> Wernda just manually added it to spi wiki, could you please look to
> make sure it's okay for you?

Looks great, thanks for the quick reaction! The only missing thing is
the jump-text on cs:
(http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speci%C3%A1ln%C3%AD:SecurePoll/translate/17/cs),
but that is a relatively minor thing.

Thanks,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Petr Kadlec<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looks great, thanks for the quick reaction!

Awesome and no problem, it would've been sooner but I was sleep. :-)

> The only missing thing is
> the jump-text on cs:
> (http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speci%C3%A1ln%C3%AD:SecurePoll/translate/17/cs),
> but that is a relatively minor thing.

I've poked werdna about this too, but I'm not sure how it's managed
locally so that it shows up on all the sites.  We'll see what he can
do. ;-)

Thanks again for poking us about this!

--
Casey Brown