Where the information comes from?

Isto Huvila-2

Dear All,

I am currently engaged in conducting research on Wikipedia users'
information behaviour and especially the information sources and
services used in contributions.

The purpose of this survey is to map information sources used in writing
and editing Wikipedia articles. The survey is a part of the research
project "Information service 2.0" conducted by myself (Department of
Information Studies, Åbo Akademi University, Finland) as a part of the
Academy of Finland research project "Library 2.0 - a new participatory
context".

The individual answers will be processed strictly confidential, the data
will not be handed over to any third parties or to non-academic use and
all informants will remain strictly anynomous.

Survey URL
http://survey-3.istohuvila.fi/index.php?sid=62924&lang=en

More information about the project may be found at
http://www.istohuvila.fi/library-20
http://www.library2pointoh.fi

Best Regards,

Isto Huvila

--

Ph.D., research fellow, lecturer
Information Studies :: Åbo Akademi University

isto_huvila.vcf (377 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Where the information comes from?

Phoebe Ayers-2
Isto,

This sounds like really interested work, on a topic I am especially
fascinated by :) Please do keep us up to date when you have some
results or conclusions.

I have two comments and a question after looking at the survey.

1) You might want to define "administrative edits" a bit better. I
assume that you only want people to discuss substantial edits to an
article's content, not minor edits, edits to project or user space,
etc.
2) I don't understand how this question: "I never contribute to
Wikipedia on my profession related topics" relates to
information-seeking -- whether people contribute in areas related to
their profession seems like a separate issue from whether they go
looking for information or not.

A question: would it be worthwhile asking where people looked for
information? Printed books, other websites, newspapers, etc.
"Information seeking" is very broad and vague and can encompass many
behaviors.

best,
-- Phoebe

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 5:52 AM, Isto Huvila <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Dear All,
>
>  I am currently engaged in conducting research on Wikipedia users'
>  information behaviour and especially the information sources and
>  services used in contributions.
>
>  The purpose of this survey is to map information sources used in writing
>  and editing Wikipedia articles. The survey is a part of the research
>  project "Information service 2.0" conducted by myself (Department of
>  Information Studies, Åbo Akademi University, Finland) as a part of the
>  Academy of Finland research project "Library 2.0 - a new participatory
>  context".
>
>  The individual answers will be processed strictly confidential, the data
>  will not be handed over to any third parties or to non-academic use and
>  all informants will remain strictly anynomous.
>
>  Survey URL
>  http://survey-3.istohuvila.fi/index.php?sid=62924&lang=en
>
>  More information about the project may be found at
>  http://www.istohuvila.fi/library-20
>  http://www.library2pointoh.fi
>
>  Best Regards,
>

>  Isto Huvila
>
>  --
>
>  Ph.D., research fellow, lecturer
>  Information Studies :: Åbo Akademi University
>  (w) +358-2-2153467 (m) +358-40-5726259
>  (e) [hidden email] (w3) www.istohuvila.fi

- phoebe s. ayers | [hidden email]