Who do you use for Hosting?

Matt Browne
Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki sites?
Matt

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Darren VanBuren
I use my own machine. =-)

Darren VanBuren
-------------------------
Sent from my iPod

On Nov 26, 2008, at 9:08, "Matt Browne" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki
> sites?
> Matt

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

DESLIPPE, MICHAEL CIV DCMA CIV DFAS
I use ixwebhosting.com

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Mike Maughan-3
dreamhost.com.  Useful for me 'coz I'm not deep-techie enough to want to
build my own installs (they do 1-click) and unlimited
traffic/webspace/domains on my package.

Downsides?  They occasionally have slow-downs in service, but if you point
out your site isn't getting enough juice they can be persuaded to move you
to a less-loaded system.

Regards, Mike

On 26/11/2008, Matt Browne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki sites?
> Matt

Regards, Mike

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Daniel Friesen
Linode for me. Good VPS and a good price. I've got a bit of a small wiki
farm for development.

~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire)
~Profile/Portfolio: http://nadir-seen-fire.com
-The Nadir-Point Group (http://nadir-point.com)
--It's Wiki-Tools subgroup (http://wiki-tools.com)
--The ElectronicMe project (http://electronic-me.org)
-Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)
--Animepedia (http://anime.wikia.com)
--Narutopedia (http://naruto.wikia.com)

Matt Browne wrote:
> Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki sites?
> Matt

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Javier Valcarce García
A2Hosting. Very loaded servers but.. really cheap!

2008/11/26 Daniel Friesen <[hidden email]>:

> Linode for me. Good VPS and a good price. I've got a bit of a small wiki
> farm for development.
>
> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire)
> ~Profile/Portfolio: http://nadir-seen-fire.com
> -The Nadir-Point Group (http://nadir-point.com)
> --It's Wiki-Tools subgroup (http://wiki-tools.com)
> --The ElectronicMe project (http://electronic-me.org)
> -Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)
> --Animepedia (http://anime.wikia.com)
> --Narutopedia (http://naruto.wikia.com)
>

> Matt Browne wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki sites?
>> Matt

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Samuel Richardson
I would second a vote for dreamhost. The 1-click install of MediaWiki is
great if you don't know what you're doing, and if you do know then you can
also get shell access on their most basic account.

The servers are fairly loaded but if you find your wiki gets popular, you
can switch to their virtual servers which allow you to adjust the amount of
CPU/Memory used.

If you are interested in signing up then I have a promo code *IGLOO2 *which
gives the maximum discount. I do recieve a cut each time someone uses this
but it should also discount things more then if you just went to the
homepage and sign up.

Thanks,* *

Samuel Richardson
Freelance Web Developer
www.richardson.co.nz | 0405 472 748

Have you added your business to the Melpedia yet? http://www.melpedia.com.au

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 4:08 AM, Matt Browne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki sites?
> Matt

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Matt Browne
Good tip on DreamHosts they look pretty good.  I like the idea of having a
SVN repos hosteed as well.  That could save me some trouble :)
Any more suggestions/recommendations on hosts?

Matt

2008/11/26 Samuel Richardson <[hidden email]>

> I would second a vote for dreamhost. The 1-click install of MediaWiki is
> great if you don't know what you're doing, and if you do know then you can
> also get shell access on their most basic account.
>
> The servers are fairly loaded but if you find your wiki gets popular, you
> can switch to their virtual servers which allow you to adjust the amount of
> CPU/Memory used.
>
> If you are interested in signing up then I have a promo code *IGLOO2 *which
> gives the maximum discount. I do recieve a cut each time someone uses this
> but it should also discount things more then if you just went to the
> homepage and sign up.
>
> Thanks,* *
>
> Samuel Richardson
> Freelance Web Developer
> www.richardson.co.nz | 0405 472 748
>
> Have you added your business to the Melpedia yet?
> http://www.melpedia.com.au
>

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 4:08 AM, Matt Browne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki
> sites?
> > Matt

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Troy Wical
On Nov 26, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Matt Browne wrote:
> Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki
> sites?

I've used JaguarPC.com for several years now.  Their "gigadeal"
package sets the bar in regards to virtual hosting features and cost.
Customer service has been top notch and I know several others that
have nothing but good things to say about them.

Peace, Troy

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Steve VanSlyck
Wot's the difference between real hosting and virtual hosting?

Troy Wical wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Matt Browne wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki
>> sites?
>
> I've used JaguarPC.com for several years now.  Their "gigadeal"
> package sets the bar in regards to virtual hosting features and cost.
> Customer service has been top notch and I know several others that
> have nothing but good things to say about them.

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Matt Browne
Real hosting is when it's hosted on a physical box.  Either a dedicated
server or a shared server.
Virtual hosting is where a virtual machine hosts your site.  So, your site
would have a dedicated virtual machine, but this virtual machine is on a
machine that hosts some other virtual machines.

2008/11/27 Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]>

> Wot's the difference between real hosting and virtual hosting?
>
> Troy Wical wrote:
> > On Nov 26, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Matt Browne wrote:
> >> Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki
> >> sites?
> >
> > I've used JaguarPC.com for several years now.  Their "gigadeal"
> > package sets the bar in regards to virtual hosting features and cost.
> > Customer service has been top notch and I know several others that
> > have nothing but good things to say about them.

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Steve VanSlyck
I don't understand how any software could run on anything other than a
computer I can point at. How is this in any way virtual? There's gotta
be a computer somewhere.

Matt Browne wrote:

> Real hosting is when it's hosted on a physical box.  Either a dedicated
> server or a shared server.
> Virtual hosting is where a virtual machine hosts your site.  So, your site
> would have a dedicated virtual machine, but this virtual machine is on a
> machine that hosts some other virtual machines.
>

> 2008/11/27 Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]>
>

>> Wot's the difference between real hosting and virtual hosting?
>>
>> Troy Wical wrote:

>>> I've used JaguarPC.com for several years now.  Their "gigadeal"
>>> package sets the bar in regards to virtual hosting features and cost.
>>> Customer service has been top notch and I know several others that
>>> have nothing but good things to say about them.

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Boris Steipe
Yes, but that box pretends to be several different boxes all at the
same time. Each of those is "virtual".

On 27-Nov-08, at 10:35 AM, Steve VanSlyck wrote:

> I don't understand how any software could run on anything other than a
> computer I can point at. How is this in any way virtual? There's gotta
> be a computer somewhere.
>
> Matt Browne wrote:
>> Real hosting is when it's hosted on a physical box.  Either a
>> dedicated
>> server or a shared server.
>> Virtual hosting is where a virtual machine hosts your site.  So,
>> your site
>> would have a dedicated virtual machine, but this virtual machine
>> is on a
>> machine that hosts some other virtual machines.
>>

>> 2008/11/27 Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]>
>>

>>> Wot's the difference between real hosting and virtual hosting?

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Steve VanSlyck
OK. Lemme see if I got this right.

There are two boxes in my living room. One in Larry and one is Curly.
Larry is a shared server and Curly runs some virtual servers. On the
Larry shared server everybody shares all the same apache settings like
memory limits and such, so Mo, Groucho, and Zeppo are kindof in lock
step in some (or many) ways. I guess here that the processor itself has
to  manage conflicts and allocate resources

On the Curly virtual servers, Harpo, W. and Bill C., can "change" the
settings of their virtual server in many more ways. One can have a 500Gb
memory limit for some process and another can limit his to 5K. The
virtual server software manages conflicts and allocates resources.

Ignoring the probably incorrect examples I've given, is that generally
correct in concept?

Boris Steipe wrote:

> Yes, but that box pretends to be several different boxes all at the
> same time. Each of those is "virtual".
>

> On 27-Nov-08, at 10:35 AM, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
>

>> I don't understand how any software could run on anything other than a
>> computer I can point at. How is this in any way virtual? There's gotta
>> be a computer somewhere.
>>
>> Matt Browne wrote:
>>
>>> Real hosting is when it's hosted on a physical box.  Either a
>>> dedicated
>>> server or a shared server.
>>> Virtual hosting is where a virtual machine hosts your site.  So,
>>> your site
>>> would have a dedicated virtual machine, but this virtual machine
>>> is on a
>>> machine that hosts some other virtual machines.

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Matt Browne
Yes, that's pretty much it.

2008/11/27 Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]>

> OK. Lemme see if I got this right.
>
> There are two boxes in my living room. One in Larry and one is Curly.
> Larry is a shared server and Curly runs some virtual servers. On the
> Larry shared server everybody shares all the same apache settings like
> memory limits and such, so Mo, Groucho, and Zeppo are kindof in lock
> step in some (or many) ways. I guess here that the processor itself has
> to  manage conflicts and allocate resources
>
> On the Curly virtual servers, Harpo, W. and Bill C., can "change" the
> settings of their virtual server in many more ways. One can have a 500Gb
> memory limit for some process and another can limit his to 5K. The
> virtual server software manages conflicts and allocates resources.
>
> Ignoring the probably incorrect examples I've given, is that generally
> correct in concept?
>

> Boris Steipe wrote:
> > Yes, but that box pretends to be several different boxes all at the
> > same time. Each of those is "virtual".
> >

> > On 27-Nov-08, at 10:35 AM, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
> >

> >> I don't understand how any software could run on anything other than a
> >> computer I can point at. How is this in any way virtual? There's gotta
> >> be a computer somewhere.

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Momma-3

Here's how I look at it:

SHARED SERVER (Cheapest): You buy one or more accounts from an ISP to host
your domain(s).  There may be 500 other user accounts on that same machine.
You have no root access and have resource limits like total disk space,
monthly bandwidth, number of databases, email accts, ftp accts, etc...

DEDICATED SERVER (most expensive): You lease an entire machine from a
service provider.  For an unmanaged system (what I have), the provider puts
it online with the software you order and gives you the keys. You have
complete root access to the machine and no one else has access it to unless
you so permit.  You are completely responsible for managing the server.

VIRTUAL SERVER (middle tier cost):  Your website is very  popular and you
are either exceeding your disk or bandwidth allocation, or your ISP is going
to kick you off because you are using too much CPU and hurting his other 499
users.  A dedicated server is too expensive or complicated for you to manage
-- or maybe more power than you need.  The next viable option is a VIRTUAL
SERVER.  Instead of there being 500 indiv. user accounts on the machine,
there may be 10 total virtual servers.  To you, it appears that you have a
dedicated server and have much of the control as if you owned the whole
machine.  You can host as many domains, or use as many resources, as your
account allows.  The actual root-type capabilities depends upon the virtual
server software being used.  I believe Virtuoso is a popular package.  Find
an ISP that provides virtual servers and see what system they provide and
google for more info on capabilities.

Boris Steipe wrote:

> Yes, but that box pretends to be several different boxes all at the
> same time. Each of those is "virtual".
>

> On 27-Nov-08, at 10:35 AM, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
>

>> I don't understand how any software could run on anything other than a
>> computer I can point at. How is this in any way virtual? There's gotta
>> be a computer somewhere.
>>
>> Matt Browne wrote:
>>
>>> Real hosting is when it's hosted on a physical box.  Either a
>>> dedicated
>>> server or a shared server.
>>> Virtual hosting is where a virtual machine hosts your site.  So,
>>> your site
>>> would have a dedicated virtual machine, but this virtual machine
>>> is on a
>>> machine that hosts some other virtual machines.

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Benjamin Lees
SliceHost offers a pretty nifty VPS service (comparable to Linode's, I
think).  Not a lot of hand-holding (beyond some good tutorials), but no crap
to get in your way if you know what you're doing.

At this point, the only significant difference between a proper VPS and a
dedicated server that I see actually favors the VPS: With a VPS, you can
instantly adjust your resource allocations without the need for any physical
hardware changes; with a dedicated server, you're locked into your
configuration unless you want to pay your host to send someone to physically
swap out the parts.

I wouldn't look at VPSes as somehow below dedicated servers, since a VPS can
be just as fast as a dedicated machine (or faster in the average case, since
VPS hosts are generally going to have monstrously beefy rigs).  Rather,
they're more flexible alternatives that have the physical hardware
abstracted away from your concern.

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Momma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's how I look at it:
>
> SHARED SERVER (Cheapest): You buy one or more accounts from an ISP to host
> your domain(s).  There may be 500 other user accounts on that same machine.
> You have no root access and have resource limits like total disk space,
> monthly bandwidth, number of databases, email accts, ftp accts, etc...
>
> DEDICATED SERVER (most expensive): You lease an entire machine from a
> service provider.  For an unmanaged system (what I have), the provider puts
> it online with the software you order and gives you the keys. You have
> complete root access to the machine and no one else has access it to unless
> you so permit.  You are completely responsible for managing the server.
>
> VIRTUAL SERVER (middle tier cost):  Your website is very  popular and you
> are either exceeding your disk or bandwidth allocation, or your ISP is
> going
> to kick you off because you are using too much CPU and hurting his other
> 499
> users.  A dedicated server is too expensive or complicated for you to
> manage
> -- or maybe more power than you need.  The next viable option is a VIRTUAL
> SERVER.  Instead of there being 500 indiv. user accounts on the machine,
> there may be 10 total virtual servers.  To you, it appears that you have a
> dedicated server and have much of the control as if you owned the whole
> machine.  You can host as many domains, or use as many resources, as your
> account allows.  The actual root-type capabilities depends upon the virtual
> server software being used.  I believe Virtuoso is a popular package.  Find
> an ISP that provides virtual servers and see what system they provide and
> google for more info on capabilities.

Sylvain Machefert
Momma's explanation is clear !

I use PHPNet.fr (.org...), it's a french web hosting. For my wikis, I use
shared server : no root acces, but 4GB of disk, one domain name included,
really good services... for only 30 euros per year :)

--
Sylvain Machefert

Tous aux Balkans !
http://www.tousauxbalkans.net

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Brianna Laugher
I second the Dreamhost rec. 1-click install *and upgrade* is very
convenient, and actually up to date.

But I just play with stuff, I don't have a wiki that actually has any
significant traffic.

Brianna

2008/11/27 Mike Maughan <[hidden email]>:
> dreamhost.com.  Useful for me 'coz I'm not deep-techie enough to want to
> build my own installs (they do 1-click) and unlimited
> traffic/webspace/domains on my package.

http://modernthings.org/

Re: Who do you use for Hosting?

Jan Steinman
> From: "Matt Browne" <[hidden email]>
>
> Just out of curiosity. Who do people use for hosting their Mediawiki
> sites?

I self-host. It's not for everyone, but if you have basic sysadmin
skills and a high-speed connection with a static IP, it's a way to
pretty much have complete control.

I've been burned by hosting companies in the past. (What do you mean,
you changed from PHP 3 to PHP 4 without telling anyone? :-) So I just
really prefer to do it myself. Plus, since the host is on my LAN, I
can easily mount the server on my file system and treat it like a
local file system.

:::: "Primitive skills" are trivial to learn, compared to getting
along with each other! It's not hard to make a stone axe -- what's
hard is not using it on your neighbor! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.EcoReality.org ::::