Why <top-notice-pagename> page contents <bottom-notice-pagename>

Why <top-notice-pagename> page contents <bottom-notice-pagename>

Monahon, Peter B.

I SWEAR I changed NOTHING - maybe it's been like this and I didn't
notice it before ... but now, when a page renders in the browser, I get:

<top-notice-pagename>
...regular page contents as expected...
<bottom-notice-pagename>

Okay, just testing, and apparently I didn't notice when building my wiki
that "" (two quote characters") in the page name cause this rather
strange behavior, such as for a page named: [[New "Old" Stories]]

Hmm ... Huh?  Anyone seen (and resolved) this before?

== Version: ==
(if you care)

MediaWiki: 1.10.0
PHP: 5.2.2 (apache2handler)
MySQL: 5.0.41-community-nt

Extensions:
- Special pages, Contact - Contact form for visitors Daniel Kinzler
- LastUserLogin (version 1.0.6) Displays the last time a user logged in
Justin G. Cramer, Danila Ulyanov, Thomas Klein
- MultipleUpload Allows users to upload several files at once. Travis
Derouin

Parser hooks:
- DynamicPageList2 (version 1.2.1) based on DynamicPageList, featuring
many improvements IlyaHaykinson, Amgine,Unendlich, Cyril
Dangerville,Algorithmix
- Subpage List 2 automatically creates a list of the subpages of a page
Martin Schallnahs, Rob Church

Other:
- ConfirmEdit Simple captcha implementation Brion Vibber
- PageNotice lets you define a fixed header or footer message for each
page or namespace. Daniel Kinzler

Extension functions:
- wfLastUserLogin, wfUpdateUserTouched, wfDynamicPageList3,
wfDynamicPageList2, efSubpageList, wfMultipleUpload and ceSetup

Parser extension tags:

Parser function hooks:
- dpl, int, ns, urlencode, lcfirst, ucfirst, lc, uc, localurl,
localurle, fullurl, fullurle, formatnum, grammar, plural, numberofpages,
numberofusers, numberofarticles, numberoffiles, numberofadmins,
numberofedits, language, padleft, padright, anchorencode, special and
defaultsort

Hooks:
- Hook name Subscribed by
- AbortLogin (SimpleCaptcha, confirmUserLogin)
- AbortNewAccount (SimpleCaptcha, confirmUserCreate)
- EditFilter (SimpleCaptcha, confirmEdit)
- LanguageGetMagic wfDynamicPageList3_Magic
- LoadAllMessages wfDynamicPageListSPloadMessages and
loadContactPageI18n
- LoginAuthenticateAudit (SimpleCaptcha, triggerUserLogin)
- OutputPageBeforeHTML wfPageNoticeHook
- UserCreateForm (SimpleCaptcha, injectUserCreate)
- UserLoginForm (SimpleCaptcha, injectUserLogin)

Re: Why <top-notice-pagename> page contents <bottom-notice-pagename>

Thomas Dalton
On 28/12/2007, Monahon, Peter B. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I SWEAR I changed NOTHING - maybe it's been like this and I didn't
> notice it before ... but now, when a page renders in the browser, I get:
>
> <top-notice-pagename>
> ...regular page contents as expected...
> <bottom-notice-pagename>

It's a problem with the PageNotice extension, almost certainly. Try
contacting the author.

Re: Why <top-notice-pagename> page contents <bottom-notice-pagename>

Monahon, Peter B.

Doh!  Thanks for pointing out what I shoulda seen fer myself!  I'll toggle it on and off and see what comes, though I changed the page name to use 'single' quote marks in the name and the problem went away, so, as always, I have an immediate work-around.  Quick eye, Thomas - THANKS!

> From: "Peter Blaise"
> when a page renders in the browser, I get:
> <top-notice-pagename>
> ...regular page contents as expected...
> <bottom-notice-pagename>
> I didn't notice when building my wiki that ""
> (two quote characters") in the page name
> cause this rather strange behavior, such as
> for a page named: [[New "Old" Stories]]
> == Version: ==
> (if you care)
> MediaWiki: 1.10.0 [... and so on ... then:]
> - PageNotice lets you define a fixed header
> or footer message for each page or
> namespace. Daniel Kinzler ...

> From: "Thomas"
> It's a problem with the PageNotice extension,
> almost certainly. Try contacting the author.

Re: Why <top-notice-pagename> page contents <bottom-notice-pagename>

Monahon, Peter B.

Okay, reviewing http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageNotice,
which is responsible for the <top-notice-pagename> page contents
<bottom-notice-pagename>, it says to

"...define fixed notice messages for the top or the bottom of each page
... by creating MediaWiki messages ..."

... but I cannot find a reference or example on how to create a system
message! Can anyone be so kind as to direct me to a link showing an
example so that I can implement the extension?  Thanks!

Re: Why <top-notice-pagename> page contents <bottom-notice-pagename>

Dave Sigafoos
If I remember correctly, there is a messages.php under the languages
folder.  Each language has its own.  So we use MessagesEn.php

Hope this helps

DSig .. Just Chillin'

On 02/01/2008, Monahon, Peter B. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, reviewing http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageNotice,
> which is responsible for the <top-notice-pagename> page contents
> <bottom-notice-pagename>, it says to
>
> "...define fixed notice messages for the top or the bottom of each page
> ... by creating MediaWiki messages ..."
>
> ... but I cannot find a reference or example on how to create a system
> message! Can anyone be so kind as to direct me to a link showing an
> example so that I can implement the extension?  Thanks!

Just edit [[Mediawiki:top-notice-pagename]] using a sysop account.

Changing logo

GrantPark.net
All,

I can't figure out why I can't change the logo.

I have read
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#How_do_I_change_the_logo.3F and
tried to make a 125x135 .png  upload it and set the $wgLogo =
"/var/www/wiki/images/logo.jpg"; and yet no logo at http://kalvyn.net/wiki .

Any ideas appreciated.

AtDhVaAnNkCsE,

James T Lewis

Re: Changing logo

Steve VanSlyck
Make sure the line is toward the bottom of your LocalSettings file.
Check the value ScriptPath, e.g.

$wgLogo = "$wgScriptPath/skins/common/images/treas_sm.jpg";

GrantPark.net wrote:

> All,
>
> I can't figure out why I can't change the logo.
>
> I have read
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#How_do_I_change_the_logo.3F and
> tried to make a 125x135 .png  upload it and set the $wgLogo =
> "/var/www/wiki/images/logo.jpg"; and yet no logo at http://kalvyn.net/wiki .
>
> Any ideas appreciated.
>
> AtDhVaAnNkCsE,
>
> James T Lewis

Re: Changing logo

Steve VanSlyck
Grant,

Generally, anything you add to LocalSettings.php should be at the end.
Not only makes them easy to find, but also assures that the variables on
which your own lines depend have been read, or confirmed, or eaten, or
whatever.

Re: Changing logo

Katharina Wolkwitz

you need to change the path to your logo so that it starts at your
www-root-directory (I think it should be something like /wiki/images/logo.jpg in
your case) and not from the operating-system-root-directory.

I've just added a corresponding (and hopefully unambiguous) line to
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#How_do_I_change_the_logo.3F because
that difference in root-directories seems to bother a lot of people. ;-)

GrantPark.net schrieb:

> All,
>
> I can't figure out why I can't change the logo.
>
> I have read
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#How_do_I_change_the_logo.3F and
> tried to make a 125x135 .png  upload it and set the $wgLogo =
> "/var/www/wiki/images/logo.jpg"; and yet no logo at http://kalvyn.net/wiki .
>
> Any ideas appreciated.
>
> AtDhVaAnNkCsE,
>
> James T Lewis

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Katharina Wolkwitz

Fachhochschule Südwestfalen
Hochschulbibliothek
Haldener Straße 182
58095 Hagen
Tel.: 02331/987-2706

Re: Changing logo

GrantPark.net
Yes!

Thank you SO very much.  Of the dozens of things I've tried, I never thought
of that one. I knew is was something simple I was overlooking.

James Lewis
Minneapolis MN 55404

you need to change the path to your logo so that it starts at your
www-root-directory (I think it should be something like
/wiki/images/logo.jpg in your case) and not from the
operating-system-root-directory.

I've just added a corresponding (and hopefully unambiguous) line to
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#How_do_I_change_the_logo.3F
because that difference in root-directories seems to bother a lot of people.
;-)

.

> Any ideas appreciated.
>
> AtDhVaAnNkCsE,
>
> James T Lewis

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Katharina Wolkwitz

Fachhochschule Südwestfalen
Hochschulbibliothek
Haldener Straße 182
58095 Hagen
Tel.: 02331/987-2706

Re: Changing logo

Katharina Wolkwitz
Yepp - just what happened to me. ;-)

GrantPark.net schrieb:

> Yes!
>
> Thank you SO very much.  Of the dozens of things I've tried, I never thought
> of that one. I knew is was something simple I was overlooking.
>
> James Lewis
> Minneapolis MN 55404

Peter Blaise responds:

GREAT!  And so simple - doh!  I can also include tables, images,
background colors, making a banner, or whatever now.  PERFECT!  The
Extension page has been updated with examples to share the wealth.
Thanks again, Thomas

Re: Changing logo to no logo at all

jidanni
Challenge: attempt to use no logo ("my site just doesn't want a logo",
or "my site is for visually disabled persons who couldn't see a logo
anyway".)
You'll see there's no way just to put a piece of text there or
whatever. Whatever you do you must at least issue a HTTP request each
view. 404 Not found or not, still a waste.

Re: Changing logo to no logo at all

Daniel Friesen
Just edit skins/Monobook.php and delete the #p-logo div from the php
skin, and do the same for other skins if you want.
As for those for visually disabled persons... The site would probably be
better with a custom skin designed for ease of use with their computer.
$wgLogo isn't used anywhere other than defining the logo for the
skins... And there are actually some skins which use a different logo
than what's defined by that. Custom though... eg: Wikia's Quartz skins
use a "Wiki_wide.png" which is actually 266x75px to give more horizontal
room and avoid taking up to much vertical space pushing content down the
page.
((It might be an idea to create a new variable $wgLogos which is an
array with a '###x###' key with the logo size it's made for... So
Monobookesque skins will just use '155x155' and skins using other sizes
can grab a logo of a different size to avoid stretches in any skin)).

~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of:
-The Gaiapedia (http://gaia.wikia.com)
-Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)
-and Wiki-Tools.com (http://wiki-tools.com)

[hidden email] wrote:

> Challenge: attempt to use no logo ("my site just doesn't want a logo",
> or "my site is for visually disabled persons who couldn't see a logo
> anyway".)
> You'll see there's no way just to put a piece of text there or
> whatever. Whatever you do you must at least issue a HTTP request each
> view. 404 Not found or not, still a waste.

Re: Changing logo to no logo at all

Samuel Richardson
You could update the skins for the wiki and replace the logo with a
simple <p> or <hx> tag of the sites title?

Samuel

On Jan 5, 2008 10:12 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Challenge: attempt to use no logo ("my site just doesn't want a logo",
> or "my site is for visually disabled persons who couldn't see a logo
> anyway".)
> You'll see there's no way just to put a piece of text there or
> whatever. Whatever you do you must at least issue a HTTP request each
> view. 404 Not found or not, still a waste.

Samuel Richardson
Freelance Web Developer
www.richardson.co.nz | 0405 472 748

Re: Changing logo to no logo at all

jidanni
D> Just edit skins/Monobook.php and delete the
See, one cannot just do $wgLogo=false in LocalSettings.php as the
software never expected one not wanting a logo.

Re: Changing logo to no logo at all

Michael Daly-4
[hidden email] wrote:
> D> Just edit skins/Monobook.php and delete the
> See, one cannot just do $wgLogo=false in LocalSettings.php as the
> software never expected one not wanting a logo.

I don't suppose creating a logo that is one pixel in size would suffice?

Mike

On 07/01/2008, Michael Daly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > D> Just edit skins/Monobook.php and delete the
> > See, one cannot just do $wgLogo=false in LocalSettings.php as the
> > software never expected one not wanting a logo.
>
> I don't suppose creating a logo that is one pixel in size would suffice?

That would still require a separate HTTP request.