Why there will be no "Wikipedia" at Debian

Why there will be no "Wikipedia" at Debian

Jakob Voss-2
Hi,

Debian and Mozilla had a struggle about using Mozillas Trademarks in
Debian if the software and logos are changed but the name is not.[1]
This should also apply to Wikipedia if people want to distribute
Wikipedia content or modified parts then they cannot just call it
"Wikipedia" - I just wanted to clarify and give an example because many
people think that the our name and logos are as free as the content.

Greetings,
Jakob

[1] For instance http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3364701970.html

Re: Why there will be no "Wikipedia" at Debian

Milos Rancic
Hm. But, Debian should not have a problem to use it in distribution...

On 10/20/06, Jakob Voss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Debian and Mozilla had a struggle about using Mozillas Trademarks in
> Debian if the software and logos are changed but the name is not.[1]
> This should also apply to Wikipedia if people want to distribute
> Wikipedia content or modified parts then they cannot just call it
> "Wikipedia" - I just wanted to clarify and give an example because many
> people think that the our name and logos are as free as the content.
>
> Greetings,
> Jakob
>
> [1] For instance http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3364701970.html

Re: Why there will be no "Wikipedia" at Debian

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Debian has problems with trademarked material ie the logos et al to be
under a license that prevents them from being changed. As the Wikimedia
Foundation has a license for its logos that is incompatible with the
Debian way, it is not possible for it to host Wikimedia Foundation logos
in the first place. We also do not allow anyone to use the names of the
Wikimedia projects for their mirror without permission.. something I
would think is also not in line with what Debian thinks is reasonable.
Thanks,
    GerardM

Milos Rancic wrote:

> Hm. But, Debian should not have a problem to use it in distribution...
>
> On 10/20/06, Jakob Voss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Debian and Mozilla had a struggle about using Mozillas Trademarks in
>> Debian if the software and logos are changed but the name is not.[1]
>> This should also apply to Wikipedia if people want to distribute
>> Wikipedia content or modified parts then they cannot just call it
>> "Wikipedia" - I just wanted to clarify and give an example because many
>> people think that the our name and logos are as free as the content.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Jakob
>>
>> [1] For instance http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3364701970.html

Re: Why there will be no "Wikipedia" at Debian

James Hare
They can always use the serif W like the favicon, no?

On 10/20/06, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Debian has problems with trademarked material ie the logos et al to be
> under a license that prevents them from being changed. As the Wikimedia
> Foundation has a license for its logos that is incompatible with the
> Debian way, it is not possible for it to host Wikimedia Foundation logos
> in the first place. We also do not allow anyone to use the names of the
> Wikimedia projects for their mirror without permission.. something I
> would think is also not in line with what Debian thinks is reasonable.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
> Milos Rancic wrote:
> > Hm. But, Debian should not have a problem to use it in distribution...
> >
> > On 10/20/06, Jakob Voss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Debian and Mozilla had a struggle about using Mozillas Trademarks in
> >> Debian if the software and logos are changed but the name is not.[1]
> >> This should also apply to Wikipedia if people want to distribute
> >> Wikipedia content or modified parts then they cannot just call it
> >> "Wikipedia" - I just wanted to clarify and give an example because many
> >> people think that the our name and logos are as free as the content.
> >>
> >> Greetings,
> >> Jakob
> >>
> >> [1] For instance http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3364701970.html

Re: Why there will be no "Wikipedia" at Debian

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
They could use whatever that is not part of our logos. They would still
not be able to use the names of the projects.
Thanks,
   GerardM