Why writing biographies (e.g. on WIkipedia) is hard

Why writing biographies (e.g. on WIkipedia) is hard

Re: Why writing biographies (e.g. on WIkipedia) is hard

Fred Bauder-2
> http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/09/writing-biography-in-the-age-of-wikipedia-removing-a-shadow-from-the-life-of-justice-tom-clark/
>

> - d.

A edit by User:Awohlgemuth, who judging from his name seems to be Alex
Wohl, author of the blog, seems to address this matter on the [[Tom C.
Clark]] article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tom_C._Clark&diff=568609754&oldid=568029457

It does not seem to have been in the article prior to his edits, although
I have not searched the history. The title of the blog seems to exploit
our low reputation.

Fred

Re: Why writing biographies (e.g. on WIkipedia) is hard

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
I've NPOV'd the paragraph, and I will try to locate additional sources on
the subject.

Newyorkbrad

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]>wrote:

> http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/09/writing-biography-in-the-age-of-wikipedia-removing-a-shadow-from-the-life-of-justice-tom-clark/
> >

> > - d.
>
> A edit by User:Awohlgemuth, who judging from his name seems to be Alex
> Wohl, author of the blog, seems to address this matter on the [[Tom C.
> Clark]] article.
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tom_C._Clark&diff=568609754&oldid=568029457
>
> It does not seem to have been in the article prior to his edits, although
> I have not searched the history. The title of the blog seems to exploit
> our low reputation.
>
> Fred

Re: Why writing biographies (e.g. on WIkipedia) is hard

David Gerard-2
I wasn't thinking so much in terms of Wikipedia itself, as the article
being about one of the big problems with bios anywhere, including on
Wikipedia. And particularly living bios.

On 23 September 2013 17:58, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've NPOV'd the paragraph, and I will try to locate additional sources on
> the subject.
>
> Newyorkbrad
>

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/09/writing-biography-in-the-age-of-wikipedia-removing-a-shadow-from-the-life-of-justice-tom-clark/
>> >

>> > - d.
>>
>> A edit by User:Awohlgemuth, who judging from his name seems to be Alex
>> Wohl, author of the blog, seems to address this matter on the [[Tom C.
>> Clark]] article.
>>

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tom_C._Clark&diff=568609754&oldid=568029457
>>
>> It does not seem to have been in the article prior to his edits, although
>> I have not searched the history. The title of the blog seems to exploit
>> our low reputation.
>>
>> Fred

Re: Why writing biographies (e.g. on WIkipedia) is hard

Charles Matthews
On 23 September 2013 16:35, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/09/writing-biography-in-the-age-of-wikipedia-removing-a-shadow-from-the-life-of-justice-tom-clark/

A. B said A. C wrote that B said A. These are all different, and we should
bear that in mind.

My favourite example is Queen Elizabeth's famous speech at Tilbury. We have
a decent article on that. There are actually two sources for it, and they
aren't compatible. The more probable one is hearsay, from a guy who used to
do the speech she made as a kind of party piece. Most raconteurs embroider.

Charles

Re: Why writing biographies (e.g. on WIkipedia) is hard

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
Despite the title of the blog post, the poster's gripe isn't really with
Wikipedia; it's with a book that came out in 1973.

Tom Clark of course isn't living today, though he was in 1973.

FYI, the veracity of the disputed quotation by Truman about Clark has been
debated by Supreme Court historians for years.  This is not a new issue by
any means.

Newyorkbrad

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wasn't thinking so much in terms of Wikipedia itself, as the article
> being about one of the big problems with bios anywhere, including on
> Wikipedia. And particularly living bios.
>
> On 23 September 2013 17:58, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've NPOV'd the paragraph, and I will try to locate additional sources on
> > the subject.
> >
> > Newyorkbrad
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >

> http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/09/writing-biography-in-the-age-of-wikipedia-removing-a-shadow-from-the-life-of-justice-tom-clark/

> >> A edit by User:Awohlgemuth, who judging from his name seems to be Alex
> >> Wohl, author of the blog, seems to address this matter on the [[Tom C.
> >> Clark]] article.
> >>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tom_C._Clark&diff=568609754&oldid=568029457
> >>
> >> It does not seem to have been in the article prior to his edits,
> although
> >> I have not searched the history. The title of the blog seems to exploit
> >> our low reputation.
> >>
> >> Fred

Re: Why writing biographies (e.g. on WIkipedia) is hard

Ray Saintonge
On 09/23/13 11:10 AM, David Gerard wrote:
> I wasn't thinking so much in terms of Wikipedia itself, as the article
> being about one of the big problems with bios anywhere, including on
> Wikipedia. And particularly living bios.

There are risks to preferring published sources while condemning
original research.

Ray

On 24 September 2013 10:06, Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>  There are risks to preferring published sources while condemning
> original research.

And vice versa.

Charles