WikProject Classroom coordination

Durova
With fall semester coming up, now is a good time to let educators know about
one of our resources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Classroom_coordination

This project aims to help professors and teachers who incorporate Wikipedia
editing assignments into their curricula.  Instead of (or as an adjunct to)
regular student term papers, students would make cited improvements to
Wikipedia articles.

How does the Foundation usually get the word out about something like this?
I think the *Chronicle of Higher Education* would be interested in running a
notice if they were informed about the project.  Should I get in touch
with them, or are there others who have contacts already?

Durova

Re: WikProject Classroom coordination

Debbie Garside
Hi Durova

I have a list of 23,101 UK schools.  I am not sure how good it is or how
many are primary/secondary/colleges/unis but I do know that 17,000+ have
email addresses.  If this would be of interest let me know.

Best regards

Debbie Garside

Casey Brown-2
This looks like it would be a good candidate for ComProj <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ComProj>.

E-mail them at <mailto:[hidden email]>.

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

From: Durova <[hidden email]>

> With fall semester coming up, now is a good time to let educators know about
> one of our resources.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Classroom_coordination
>
> This project aims to help professors and teachers who incorporate Wikipedia
> editing assignments into their curricula. Instead of (or as an adjunct to)
> regular student term papers, students would make cited improvements to
> Wikipedia articles.
>
> How does the Foundation usually get the word out about something like this?
> I think the *Chronicle of Higher Education* would be interested in running a
> notice if they were informed about the project. Should I get in touch
> with them, or are there others who have contacts already?
>
> Durova

Re: WikProject Classroom coordination

Mitchell-15
You took the words right out of my mouth!

____________________
Mitch D.
(Greeves on all English Wikimedia projects)

From: Durova <[hidden email]>

> With fall semester coming up, now is a good time to let educators know
about
> one of our resources.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Classroom_coordination
>
> This project aims to help professors and teachers who incorporate
Wikipedia
> editing assignments into their curricula. Instead of (or as an adjunct to)

> regular student term papers, students would make cited improvements to
> Wikipedia articles.
>
> How does the Foundation usually get the word out about something like
this?
> I think the *Chronicle of Higher Education* would be interested in running
> notice if they were informed about the project. Should I get in touch
> with them, or are there others who have contacts already?
>
> Durova

Re: WikProject Classroom coordination

metasj

This would be useful for a number of projects. It would be useful to have
this sort of list from smaller countries as well.

We could use a system for collaboratively building structured datasets
such as these around Wikimedia projects... perhaps the Open Library folks
can help in this regard.  (would any of the semwiki projects scale to
querying millions of records?)

SJ

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Debbie Garside wrote:

> Hi Durova
>
> I have a list of 23,101 UK schools.  I am not sure how good it is or how
> many are primary/secondary/colleges/unis but I do know that 17,000+ have
> email addresses.  If this would be of interest let me know.
>
> Best regards
>
> Debbie Garside

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
OmegaWiki includes 2.1 million records at this time. The responsetimes are
not stellar but that is more an issue with the way the rendering is handled
than with the database.
Thanks,
    GerardM

On 8/8/07, SJ Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This would be useful for a number of projects. It would be useful to have
> this sort of list from smaller countries as well.
>
> We could use a system for collaboratively building structured datasets
> such as these around Wikimedia projects... perhaps the Open Library folks
> can help in this regard.  (would any of the semwiki projects scale to
> querying millions of records?)
>
> SJ
>

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Debbie Garside wrote:
>
> > Hi Durova
> >
> > I have a list of 23,101 UK schools.  I am not sure how good it is or how
> > many are primary/secondary/colleges/unis but I do know that 17,000+ have
> > email addresses.  If this would be of interest let me know.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Debbie Garside

Interview transcription

brian.mcneil-2
My apologies in advance, but this is the most active WMF list I am a member
of. So... I'm going to bug everyone to help out on a Wikinews project.

We have - uploaded to Commons - an interview with former member of
parliament and political activist Tony Benn.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Image:Tony_Benn_Interview.ogg

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Story_preparation/Interview_with_U.K._s
tatesman_Tony_Benn/Raw_transcript

I have already pestered my Wikinews colleagues for help transcribing this as
a first step into turning it into a story, any help in the transcription
would be appreciated. I'd also welcome opinions on how this material can be
used as a source for Wikipedia which has a "No Original Research" policy.

Brian McNeil

Re: Interview transcription

Christophe Henner
As it's not a research but an interview, I don't see any problem. In
fact it's even better as for once the original interview and the
transcript will be free and so we will be able to check easily the
sources.

> My apologies in advance, but this is the most active WMF list I am a member
> of. So... I'm going to bug everyone to help out on a Wikinews project.
>
> We have - uploaded to Commons - an interview with former member of
> parliament and political activist Tony Benn.
>
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Image:Tony_Benn_Interview.ogg
>
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Story_preparation/Interview_with_U.K._s
> tatesman_Tony_Benn/Raw_transcript
>
> I have already pestered my Wikinews colleagues for help transcribing this as
> a first step into turning it into a story, any help in the transcription
> would be appreciated. I'd also welcome opinions on how this material can be
> used as a source for Wikipedia which has a "No Original Research" policy.
>

> Brian McNeil

schiste

Re: Interview transcription

Casey Brown-3
Yes, as long as we have both the interview and transcript, there is *no* way
it wouldn't be accepted.  The proper sourcing template would be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Cite_interview for this case.

On 8/8/07, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As it's not a research but an interview, I don't see any problem. In
> fact it's even better as for once the original interview and the
> transcript will be free and so we will be able to check easily the
> sources.
>
> On 08/08/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > My apologies in advance, but this is the most active WMF list I am a
> member
> > of. So... I'm going to bug everyone to help out on a Wikinews project.
> >
> > We have - uploaded to Commons - an interview with former member of
> > parliament and political activist Tony Benn.
> >
> > http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Image:Tony_Benn_Interview.ogg
> >

> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Story_preparation/Interview_with_U.K._s
> > tatesman_Tony_Benn/Raw_transcript
> >
> > I have already pestered my Wikinews colleagues for help transcribing
> this as
> > a first step into turning it into a story, any help in the transcription
> > would be appreciated. I'd also welcome opinions on how this material can
> be
> > used as a source for Wikipedia which has a "No Original Research"
> policy.
> >

> > Brian McNeil

> schiste

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Interview transcription

brian.mcneil-2
This is great news, but it seriously conflicts with the impression I have
been given about what material can be used for updating Wikipedia. I got
about 40 minutes of the man's time, and I'd say a great deal of what he said
could go into his Wikipedia article. I consider a telephone interview
"Original Research", so is it just allowable because people can recognise
who I am speaking with? It does - to me - seem a little like bending the
rules. I expected Wikinews to have to do the article and items from that go
in WP.

Brian.

Yes, as long as we have both the interview and transcript, there is *no* way
it wouldn't be accepted.  The proper sourcing template would be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Cite_interview for this case.

On 8/8/07, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As it's not a research but an interview, I don't see any problem. In
> fact it's even better as for once the original interview and the
> transcript will be free and so we will be able to check easily the
> sources.
>
> On 08/08/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > My apologies in advance, but this is the most active WMF list I am a
> member
> > of. So... I'm going to bug everyone to help out on a Wikinews project.
> >
> > We have - uploaded to Commons - an interview with former member of
> > parliament and political activist Tony Benn.
> >
> > http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Image:Tony_Benn_Interview.ogg

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Story_preparation/Interview_with_U.K._s

> > tatesman_Tony_Benn/Raw_transcript
> >
> > I have already pestered my Wikinews colleagues for help transcribing
> this as
> > a first step into turning it into a story, any help in the transcription
> > would be appreciated. I'd also welcome opinions on how this material can
> be
> > used as a source for Wikipedia which has a "No Original Research"
> policy.
> >

> > Brian McNeil

> schiste

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Interview transcription

Casey Brown-3
Well... it's not the fact that we know who you are.  Jimbo could do some
research but people will want it removed as OR.  It will probably get some
opposition but after reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:OR, it really
doesn't fit in the "items excluded" section.  As long as the subject of the
interview is notable, the interview should be able to get used.

On 8/8/07, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is great news, but it seriously conflicts with the impression I have
> been given about what material can be used for updating Wikipedia. I got
> about 40 minutes of the man's time, and I'd say a great deal of what he
> said
> could go into his Wikipedia article. I consider a telephone interview
> "Original Research", so is it just allowable because people can recognise
> who I am speaking with? It does - to me - seem a little like bending the
> rules. I expected Wikinews to have to do the article and items from that
> go
> in WP.
>

> Brian.

Majorly

--
Alex (Majorly)

Re: Interview transcription

Christophe Henner
The interview can be hosted on Commons and Wikinews, and used as a
source on Wikipedia :)

On 08/08/07, Majorly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/08/07, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > This is great news, but it seriously conflicts with the impression I have
> > been given about what material can be used for updating Wikipedia. I got
> > about 40 minutes of the man's time, and I'd say a great deal of what he
> > said
> > could go into his Wikipedia article. I consider a telephone interview
> > "Original Research", so is it just allowable because people can recognise
> > who I am speaking with? It does - to me - seem a little like bending the
> > rules. I expected Wikinews to have to do the article and items from that
> > go
> > in WP.
> >

> > Brian.
> >

> > Rules are there to be bent :)
>

> --
> Alex (Majorly)

schiste

Re: Interview transcription

Casey Brown-3
Of course!  NOR is not used to block this type of content. :-)

On 8/8/07, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The interview can be hosted on Commons and Wikinews, and used as a
> source on Wikipedia :)
>
> On 08/08/07, Majorly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 08/08/07, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > This is great news, but it seriously conflicts with the impression I
> have
> > > been given about what material can be used for updating Wikipedia. I
> got
> > > about 40 minutes of the man's time, and I'd say a great deal of what
> he
> > > said
> > > could go into his Wikipedia article. I consider a telephone interview
> > > "Original Research", so is it just allowable because people can
> recognise
> > > who I am speaking with? It does - to me - seem a little like bending
> the
> > > rules. I expected Wikinews to have to do the article and items from
> that
> > > go
> > > in WP.
> > >

> > > Brian.
> > >

> > > Rules are there to be bent :)
> >

> > --
> > Alex (Majorly)

> schiste

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Interview transcription

C.J. Croy
> I have already pestered my Wikinews colleagues for help transcribing this as
> a first step into turning it into a story, any help in the transcription
> would be appreciated. I'd also welcome opinions on how this material can be
> used as a source for Wikipedia which has a "No Original Research" policy.
>

> Brian McNeil

I'll chip in on transcribing later today; I need the practice.  Quick
thought based on what's transcribed so far: You'd be better off
identifying yourself as from Wikipedia than Wikimedia or Wikinews.
Not many people are as familiar with the subprojects as the core
Wikipedia project.  Fox News certainly reporters don't introduce
themselves as employees of NewsCorp.

It brings up a good question: How does the Foundation feel about
people identifying themselves as from Wikipedia, Wikinews, etc?  The
Wikipedia brand name is a very strong one and could open a lot of
doors, but if misused could result in a lot of doors being slammed in
our collective face.

-Chris Croy

Re: Interview transcription

Marco Chiesa
C.J. Croy wrote:

>thought based on what's transcribed so far: You'd be better off
>identifying yourself as from Wikipedia than Wikimedia or Wikinews.
>Not many people are as familiar with the subprojects as the core
>Wikipedia project.  Fox News certainly reporters don't introduce
>themselves as employees of NewsCorp.
>
>It brings up a good question: How does the Foundation feel about
>people identifying themselves as from Wikipedia, Wikinews, etc?  The
>Wikipedia brand name is a very strong one and could open a lot of
>doors, but if misused could result in a lot of doors being slammed in
>our collective face.

Maybe something like "I'm Mr N. Surname from Wikinews, which belongs to
Wikimedia that also owns Wikipedia...." could be the best branding,
although it looks very long to me...

Cruccone

Re: Interview transcription

Casey Brown-3
So far, the Foundation really hasn't made a comment like that.  Take the @
wikinewsie.org e-mail addresses, the Wikinews people didn't ask the
Foundation for people's own @wikinews.org e-mail address, as that would look
like they were *official* reps.  However, as long as it is understood that
you are just a user or admin or any other thing so long as it doesn't make
you seem like an official representative, the Foundation doesn't seem to
have a problem with that.

On 8/9/07, C.J. Croy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/8/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I have already pestered my Wikinews colleagues for help transcribing
> this as
> > a first step into turning it into a story, any help in the transcription
> > would be appreciated. I'd also welcome opinions on how this material can
> be
> > used as a source for Wikipedia which has a "No Original Research"
> policy.
> >

> > Brian McNeil
>
> I'll chip in on transcribing later today; I need the practice.  Quick
> thought based on what's transcribed so far: You'd be better off
> identifying yourself as from Wikipedia than Wikimedia or Wikinews.
> Not many people are as familiar with the subprojects as the core
> Wikipedia project.  Fox News certainly reporters don't introduce
> themselves as employees of NewsCorp.
>
> It brings up a good question: How does the Foundation feel about
> people identifying themselves as from Wikipedia, Wikinews, etc?  The
> Wikipedia brand name is a very strong one and could open a lot of
> doors, but if misused could result in a lot of doors being slammed in
> our collective face.
>
> -Chris Croy

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Interview transcription

brian.mcneil-2
We've published our first article from this interview.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews_interviews:_Tony_Benn_on_U.K._politics

There have been offers of help on transcribing the interview, we still need
those skills - what has been done do far turns into one article and is about
5-10 minutes out of a 40 minute interview.

Among the purposes for doing this is building a portfolio for the wiki. If
we can say "so-and-so spoke to us and we wrote foo", add things like we have
30k+ on the RSS feed, and get a little bit of notice then more people will
talk to us. I believe our New Zealand contributors managed to land an
interview with the man most likely to be the country's next PM. That was
prior to his serious candidacy, but you never can tell - these people might
remember us and help get passes to appropriate places.

Wikiquote).

Brian.
>thought based on what's transcribed so far: You'd be better off
>identifying yourself as from Wikipedia than Wikimedia or Wikinews.
>Not many people are as familiar with the subprojects as the core
>Wikipedia project.  Fox News certainly reporters don't introduce
>themselves as employees of NewsCorp.
>
>It brings up a good question: How does the Foundation feel about
>people identifying themselves as from Wikipedia, Wikinews, etc?  The
>Wikipedia brand name is a very strong one and could open a lot of
>doors, but if misused could result in a lot of doors being slammed in
>our collective face.

Maybe something like "I'm Mr N. Surname from Wikinews, which belongs to
Wikimedia that also owns Wikipedia...." could be the best branding,
although it looks very long to me...

Cruccone

Re: Interview transcription

Bryan Tong Minh
On 8/12/07, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wikiquote).

And Commons: please take pictures when going to an interview :)

> Brian.

Cheers,
Bryan

Re: Interview transcription

brian.mcneil-2
I did what I could for Commons re: Tony Benn; haven't you noticed that the
photo on his article is from a member of the family, Josh Benn?

I - unfortunately - could not get any photos, as I was sitting in Belgium
interviewing a man in the U.K.

Our Kiwi friends have been up to some interview shenanigans recently too,
they got a video interview with one of their politicos. The key message from
them is that issuing @wikinewsie.org email addresses versus using things
like @gmail.com has increased their response rate to near 100%.

Michael Moore, on the other hand, still hasn't responded to requests for an
interview. I wonder if he dislikes the idea of being on the receiving end.

Brian.

On 8/12/07, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wikiquote).

And Commons: please take pictures when going to an interview :)

> Brian.

Cheers,
Bryan