Wiki-Americans July 18 IRC Meeting proposal

Wiki-Americans July 18 IRC Meeting proposal

Pharos-3
I would like to propose that our next Wikimedia US / WALRUS meeting
will be Wednesday July 18, at 9pm Eastern Time / 6pm Pacific Time.

(Normally we would be scheduled for the second Wednesday of the month,
but I think it probably better to not conflict with Wikimania.)

The venue will be the #wikimedia-us channel on IRC, and if you're not
familiar with IRC, please just use this easy web client:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wikimedia-us

This is a venue for all Wiki-Americans to share our many diverse
experiences in local outreach and coordination, so please add your
ideas to the agenda:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WALRUS/July_2012

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)

Re: Wiki-Americans July 18 IRC Meeting proposal

Kirill Lokshin-3
I would agree with Dominic; considering that most, if not all, of our regular participants will be at Wikimania, I think we can just discuss things in person this month.

On a more general note, while chatting with everyone on IRC is of course a fun experience, I haven't gotten the impression that our meetings are particularly productive; we seem to discuss more or less the same topics every month, without much actual progress to show for it.  I think it may be beneficial, therefore, to think about focusing on other discussion mechanisms (e.g. mailing lists, on-wiki discussions, etc.) that can increase our engagement with the wider Wikimedia community and allow longer and more conclusive discussions.

Cheers,
Kirill

--
Kirill Lokshin
Secretary | Wikimedia District of Columbia

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We're already having a WALRUS meeting at Wikimania which will include many
> of the regular IRC meeting attendees. Maybe the WALRUS Congress should just
> be our regular meeting this month, and we'll make sure that people can
> tune-in and contribute remotely via etherpad? That means moving it up a few
> hours this month only, but there will be plenty of participation anyway.
>
> Dominic

This could work, but we'll need an etherpad captain to help us navigate :)

BTW, the current plan for the WALRUS Congress is the evening of Friday
July 13, perhaps at the Georgetown University Library.

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)

> On 25 June 2012 16:01, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to propose that our next Wikimedia US / WALRUS meeting
>> will be Wednesday July 18, at 9pm Eastern Time / 6pm Pacific Time.
>>
>> (Normally we would be scheduled for the second Wednesday of the month,
>> but I think it probably better to not conflict with Wikimania.)
>>
>> The venue will be the #wikimedia-us channel on IRC, and if you're not
>> familiar with IRC, please just use this easy web client:
>>
>> http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wikimedia-us
>>
>> This is a venue for all Wiki-Americans to share our many diverse
>> experiences in local outreach and coordination, so please add your
>> ideas to the agenda:
>>
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WALRUS/July_2012
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>> (User:Pharos)

Re: Wiki-Americans July 18 IRC Meeting proposal

Gaurav Vaidya
Heya,

On 25 June 2012 15:55, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Dominic McDevitt-Parks
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We're already having a WALRUS meeting at Wikimania which will include many
>> of the regular IRC meeting attendees. Maybe the WALRUS Congress should just
>> be our regular meeting this month, and we'll make sure that people can
>> tune-in and contribute remotely via etherpad? That means moving it up a few
>> hours this month only, but there will be plenty of participation anyway.
What's the latest on this? Are we meeting tomorrow, Friday or next Wednesday?

cheers,
Gaurav

Re: Wiki-Americans July 18 IRC Meeting proposal

Pharos-3
The in-person meeting is tomorrow  (Wednesday) morning, from 11am-1pm
Eastern (9am-11am Pacific), we'll also be in the IRC channel to allow
online participation:

irc://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-us

http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/WALRUS_Congress

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Gaurav Vaidya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Heya,
>
> On 25 June 2012 15:55, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Dominic McDevitt-Parks
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> We're already having a WALRUS meeting at Wikimania which will include many
>>> of the regular IRC meeting attendees. Maybe the WALRUS Congress should just
>>> be our regular meeting this month, and we'll make sure that people can
>>> tune-in and contribute remotely via etherpad? That means moving it up a few
>>> hours this month only, but there will be plenty of participation anyway.
> What's the latest on this? Are we meeting tomorrow, Friday or next Wednesday?
>
> cheers,
> Gaurav

Re: Wiki-Americans July 18 IRC Meeting proposal

Pharos-3
Correction:

Of course as the meeting is 11am-1pm Eastern, it will be 8am-11am Pacific.

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The in-person meeting is tomorrow  (Wednesday) morning, from 11am-1pm
> Eastern (9am-11am Pacific), we'll also be in the IRC channel to allow
> online participation:
>
> irc://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-us
>
> http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/WALRUS_Congress
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
> (User:Pharos)
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Gaurav Vaidya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Heya,
>>
>> On 25 June 2012 15:55, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What's the latest on this? Are we meeting tomorrow, Friday or next Wednesday?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Gaurav

Re: Wiki-Americans July 18 IRC Meeting proposal

Kevin Rutherford
What room are we in?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 10, 2012, at 11:54 PM, "Pharos" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Correction:
>
> Of course as the meeting is 11am-1pm Eastern, it will be 8am-11am Pacific.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
> (User:Pharos)
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The in-person meeting is tomorrow  (Wednesday) morning, from 11am-1pm
>> Eastern (9am-11am Pacific), we'll also be in the IRC channel to allow
>> online participation:
>>
>> irc://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-us
>>
>> http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/WALRUS_Congress
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>> (User:Pharos)
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Gaurav Vaidya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Heya,

>>> What's the latest on this? Are we meeting tomorrow, Friday or next Wednesday?
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Gaurav

Re: Wiki-Americans July 18 IRC Meeting proposal

Gregory Varnum-2
Room 307

-Greg

____________
Sent from my iPhone. Apologies for any typos. A more detailed response may be sent later.

On Jul 11, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Kevin Rutherford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What room are we in?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jul 10, 2012, at 11:54 PM, "Pharos" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Correction:
>>
>> Of course as the meeting is 11am-1pm Eastern, it will be 8am-11am Pacific.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>> (User:Pharos)
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The in-person meeting is tomorrow  (Wednesday) morning, from 11am-1pm
>>> Eastern (9am-11am Pacific), we'll also be in the IRC channel to allow
>>> online participation:
>>>
>>> irc://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-us
>>>
>>> http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/WALRUS_Congress
>>>
>>> Thanks,