Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Gordon Joly

Can we have an update on Wiki Educational Resources Ltd (trading as
Wikimedia UK ) please?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
Hey,

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Can we have an update on Wiki Educational Resources Ltd (trading as
>  Wikimedia UK ) please?

Seconded. I assume our cheques have expired by now - when should we reapply?

Sean Whitton <[hidden email]>
http://seanwhitton.com/
GPG: 0x25F4EAB7

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Thomas Dalton
2008/4/28 Sean Whitton <[hidden email]>:
> Hey,
>

>  On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >  Can we have an update on Wiki Educational Resources Ltd (trading as
>  >  Wikimedia UK ) please?
>
>  Seconded. I assume our cheques have expired by now - when should we reapply?

Or apply in the first place, I've been waiting patiently for someone
to tell me it's time to join... Do we still not have a bank account?
What's the hold up?

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Ian A. Holton
Something to do with money laundering and the general inability of UK banks to be customer-friendly....

Ian

2008/4/28 Ian A. Holton <[hidden email]>:
> Something to do with money laundering and the general inability of UK banks
> to be customer-friendly....

Does someone on the board have a guilty looking face, or something?
Why would they suspect a company with next-to-no turnover of money
laundering?

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

David Gerard-2
2008/4/28 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> 2008/4/28 Ian A. Holton <[hidden email]>:

> > Something to do with money laundering and the general inability of UK banks
>  > to be customer-friendly....

>  Does someone on the board have a guilty looking face, or something?
>  Why would they suspect a company with next-to-no turnover of money
>  laundering?

Have you ever tried to get a bank account as someone not born in the
UK? I have. Took me six months, and I only got it because I got a job
with a company used to getting bank accounts opened for its employees
... which meant I could finally deposit the cheque from work I'd done
in the meantime.

It's not much easier for companies.

Our new treasurer, Paul, is slowly and painfully working through the
bureaucracy. I'm sure his forehead will feel much better when he gets
to stop banging his head against it ...

- d.

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Ian A. Holton
Same story here, don't try opening a bank account as an adult returning citizen. However, it depends on the bank and some have different rules & regulations or at least interpretations of the current law. For example, proof of address in some banks now has to be duplicated: two utility bills or one utility bill + .... . Other banks hardly take a look.

So, as a piece of advice to the new treasurer: look around and I can recommend Abbey for being relatively good to deal with (I am not a customer (yet?) nor an employee).

Ian

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:47 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/4/28 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> 2008/4/28 Ian A. Holton <[hidden email]>:

> > Something to do with money laundering and the general inability of UK banks
>  > to be customer-friendly....

>  Does someone on the board have a guilty looking face, or something?
>  Why would they suspect a company with next-to-no turnover of money
>  laundering?

Have you ever tried to get a bank account as someone not born in the
UK? I have. Took me six months, and I only got it because I got a job
with a company used to getting bank accounts opened for its employees
... which meant I could finally deposit the cheque from work I'd done
in the meantime.

It's not much easier for companies.

Our new treasurer, Paul, is slowly and painfully working through the
bureaucracy. I'm sure his forehead will feel much better when he gets
to stop banging his head against it ...

- d.

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Thomas Dalton
> So, as a piece of advice to the new treasurer: look around and I can
> recommend Abbey for being relatively good to deal with (I am not a customer
> (yet?) nor an employee).

But whatever you do, don't try and open an account with them just
prior to becoming a student... that took several months and 3 branches
to get sorted out...

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Mike Peel
David,

Would it help if someone who was born in this country was involved
with the process of getting a bank account? If so, then please let me
know if I can help (although note that I'm based in Manchester, and
am in London fairly infrequently).

More generally, if there's anything I can do to help get Wikimedia UK
up and running, them please let me know. I'm a PhD student in
astronomy, but I'm good with computers/websites (e.g. I created the
Young Enterprise North West website at http://
www.youngenterprisenw.org) and also administration in general.

Thanks,
Mike Peel
http://www.mikepeel.net/

At 13:47 +0100 28/4/08, David Gerard wrote:

>2008/4/28 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
>>  2008/4/28 Ian A. Holton <[hidden email]>:
>
>>  > Something to do with money laundering and the general inability
>>of UK banks
>>   > to be customer-friendly....
>
>>   Does someone on the board have a guilty looking face, or something?
>>   Why would they suspect a company with next-to-no turnover of money
>>   laundering?
>

>Have you ever tried to get a bank account as someone not born in the
>UK? I have. Took me six months, and I only got it because I got a job
>with a company used to getting bank accounts opened for its employees
>... which meant I could finally deposit the cheque from work I'd done
>in the meantime.
>
>It's not much easier for companies.
>
>Our new treasurer, Paul, is slowly and painfully working through the
>bureaucracy. I'm sure his forehead will feel much better when he gets
>to stop banging his head against it ...
>

>- d.
>
>_________________

Is that a press release?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Gordon Joly
At 13:47 +0100 28/4/08, David Gerard wrote:

>2008/4/28 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
>>  2008/4/28 Ian A. Holton <[hidden email]>:
>
>>  > Something to do with money laundering and the general inability
>>of UK banks
>>   > to be customer-friendly....
>
>>   Does someone on the board have a guilty looking face, or something?
>>   Why would they suspect a company with next-to-no turnover of money
>>   laundering?
>

>Have you ever tried to get a bank account as someone not born in the
>UK?

Yes, since I was born in Nicosia, Cyprus in 1955.

I hold a UK passport, and I am a British Citzen.

Gordo

P.S. I wonder if setting up the bank account is the sole aim of the UK Chapter.

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Gordon Joly

Does Wikimedia UK have the approval of the Board (of the Wikimedia Foundation)?

I checked back in the resolutions on this page:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolutions

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Alison M. Wheeler
On Tue, April 29, 2008 09:21, Gordon Joly wrote:
> Does Wikimedia UK have the approval of the Board (of the Wikimedia
> Foundation)?

Yes, though we experienced what could be termed 'delaying actions' a
signed agreement was put in place in mid-2007.

> P.S. I wonder if setting up the bank account is the sole aim of the UK
Chapter.

Although we have managed to do an great deal without it, sadly and
extremely annoyingly it does indeed feel that this is very much our sole
target to achieve! I'm not sure if it is because we have told banks that
we only ever want to have a credit balance and never want to borrow money
from them ...

You can believe that the minute we are able to (finally!) accept payments
we will be making a big song and dance about it and contacting everyone
interested in being a member and donating to the cause. It has kept so
many additional projects, especially those which need seed money, from
starting that we are like cars burning rubber at the start of a drag
strip.

Alison

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Joe Llywelyn Griffith Blakesley
I bank with The Co-operative Bank (who are the only UK bank with an
ethical investment policy who do current accounts), and they do a
Community Banking account specifically for non-profits
<http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1196151412581,CFSweb/Page/Business-CommunityBanking>
(which also allows you to apply for grants from the bank towards
worthy causes).  When I applied for one of their Community Banking
accounts, sorting out the anti-money-laundering ID requirements for
all the signatories did take some time, but those are statutory
requirements you will have to fulfill when applying for any UK
account.

Yours,
Joe.
(User:Joeblakesley)

Re: Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Joe Llywelyn Griffith Blakesley
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I bank with The Co-operative Bank (who are the only UK bank with an
>  ethical investment policy who do current accounts), and they do a
>  Community Banking account specifically for non-profits

The problem with the Co-Op is that they are sometimes inflexible. For
example, their under-eighteen accounts are useless, savings-only when
I last looked. Shortly after my eighteenth birthday I intend to switch
to them though :)

Sean Whitton <[hidden email]>
http://seanwhitton.com/
GPG: 0x25F4EAB7

2008/4/28 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:

> David,
>
>  Would it help if someone who was born in this country was involved
>  with the process of getting a bank account? If so, then please let me
>  know if I can help (although note that I'm based in Manchester, and
>  am in London fairly infrequently).
>
>  More generally, if there's anything I can do to help get Wikimedia UK
>  up and running, them please let me know. I'm a PhD student in
>  astronomy, but I'm good with computers/websites (e.g. I created the
>  Young Enterprise North West website at http://
>  www.youngenterprisenw.org) and also administration in general.

Ditto on all significant counts. I don't have all that much time
available (it's exam term, after all!), but I can help out where
needed. I'm over 18 with a reasonable credit rating (I expect - I
don't have much of a credit history, still being student, but what I
have is good) if you need a UK resident and citizen to sign anything.

At 11:47 +0100 29/4/08, Joe Llywelyn Griffith Blakesley wrote:

>I bank with The Co-operative Bank (who are the only UK bank with an
>ethical investment policy who do current accounts), and they do a
>Community Banking account specifically for non-profits
><http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1196151412581,CFSweb/Page/Business-CommunityBanking>
>(which also allows you to apply for grants from the bank towards
>worthy causes).  When I applied for one of their Community Banking
>accounts, sorting out the anti-money-laundering ID requirements for
>all the signatories did take some time, but those are statutory
>requirements you will have to fulfill when applying for any UK
>account.
>
>Yours,
>Joe.
>(User:Joeblakesley)

I volunteer in a small community project, and we were turned down by
the Co-operative Bank. The reason given was that one of the
signatories had a County Court Judgement or bad credit rating or
similar.

We then approached a credit union, and we now have a bank account.
This week we asked for the first cheque to be written, and low and
behold, the credit union banks with the Co-operative Bank!

The whole process took about six months (that is deciding to apply to
the Co-op, filling forms, appearing in person with passports, and
then being refused, and going to a credit union). We do not have a
cheque book, but we can request cheques to be written from cleared
funds in our account. We can initiate and receive BACS etc etc.

http://www.abcul.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_union

Gordo

--