Wiki Workshop 2020 Announcement and Call for Papers

Wiki Workshop 2020 Announcement and Call for Papers

Leila Zia-2
Hi everyone,

We are delighted to announce that Wiki Workshop 2020 will be held in
Taipei on April 20 or 21, 2020 (the date to be finalized soon) and as
part of the Web Conference 2020 [1]. In the past years, Wiki Workshop
has traveled to Oxford, Montreal, Cologne, Perth, Lyon, and San
Francisco.

You can read more about the call for papers and the workshops at
http://wikiworkshop.org/2020/#call. Please note that the deadline for
the submissions to be considered for proceedings is January 17. All
other submissions should be received by February 21.

If you have questions about the workshop, please let us know on this
list or at [hidden email].

Looking forward to seeing you in Taipei.

Best,
Miriam Redi, Wikimedia Foundation
Bob West, EPFL
Leila Zia, Wikimedia Foundation

[1] https://www2020.thewebconf.org/

Re: Wiki Workshop 2020 Announcement and Call for Papers

Leila Zia-2
A gentle reminder that January 17 is the deadline for submitting your
papers to Wiki Workshop 2020 for the archival publication. February 21
is the last day to submit for non-archival publication.

Your paper can be 1-8 pages long, and we specifically encourage the
submission of preliminary work. Our past participants have reported
that they have benefited from thoughtful and detailed feedback from
the program committee [1] as well as discussing their work in early
stages with other researchers and Wikimedians.

Submit your work via http://wikiworkshop.org/2020/#submission .

If you have questions, let us know.

Best,
Leila

[1] 2020's program committee: http://wikiworkshop.org/2020/#program-committee

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 7:13 PM Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We are delighted to announce that Wiki Workshop 2020 will be held in
> Taipei on April 20 or 21, 2020 (the date to be finalized soon) and as
> part of the Web Conference 2020 [1]. In the past years, Wiki Workshop
> has traveled to Oxford, Montreal, Cologne, Perth, Lyon, and San
> Francisco.
>
> You can read more about the call for papers and the workshops at
> http://wikiworkshop.org/2020/#call. Please note that the deadline for
> the submissions to be considered for proceedings is January 17. All
> other submissions should be received by February 21.
>
> If you have questions about the workshop, please let us know on this
> list or at [hidden email].
>
> Looking forward to seeing you in Taipei.
>
> Best,
> Miriam Redi, Wikimedia Foundation
> Bob West, EPFL
> Leila Zia, Wikimedia Foundation
>
> [1] https://www2020.thewebconf.org/

Re: Wiki Workshop 2020 Announcement and Call for Papers

Leila Zia-2
Hi all,

We have an update for you regarding Wiki Workshop 2020 [0] in light of
the global health situation related to COVID-19.

==Summary==
We have turned Wiki Workshop 2020 from an in-person event to a fully
virtual event. This was not an easy decision for us to make. We know
that past year attendees had gained a lot from the in-person set-up of
the workshop. This being said, we're excited about the opportunity of
organizing the workshop in a virtual set-up: this allows us to reduce
our carbon foot-print and to allow more people to benefit from the
workshop.

For this year's workshop, we have decided to remove the registration
cost which is removing one more barrier for participation. The
workshop will take place, as originally planned, on April 21 2020. We
have changed the time of the workshop from Taipei's local time to
afternoon UTC until evening UTC. (Exact times will be announced in the
coming couple of weeks.) We also want you to know that we're working
hard to transform the workshop program to one that can be engaging in
a virtual set-up. We are making good progress on this front, thanks to
the immense flexibility of everyone who is working with us including
our speakers and the authors of the papers. Look for more information
in the coming weeks about how to register (for fee). If you want to
know more, please read on! :)

==Where?==
Wiki Workshop 2020 is going fully virtual. All talks, conversations,
poster sessions, and one on one meetings are moved to a virtual
environment.

==When?==
April 21, 2020. We will start in the afternoon UTC and will end in the
evening UTC. Note that this is a change from the original plan to
start at 9:00 local time in Taipei. We expect to be able to finalize
the start and end times of the workshop no later than 2020-03-27.

==How?==
We are testing a few different video communication options and most
likely we will go with Zoom [1]. There is no cost for downloading
Zoom, and there is even a web browser version of it. However, some of
the features we will use, such as breakout rooms, will work more
smoothly if you download Zoom. We will send specific instructions for
how to connect to those who register for the event.

==Registration==
If you are not an author of an accepted archival paper, you can
request to attend the event for free. We will send the details for how
to submit your request by 2020-03-27. We will review all registration
requests and will let you know if your registration is through.

If you are an author of an accepted paper in the workshop, you will
need to make sure at least one of the authors of your paper is
registered for a 1-day (or more) in-person registration option offered
by the Web Conference 2020 organizers or the 5-day virtual attendance
registration for the conference. Link to register:
https://www2020.thewebconf.org/registration . Please note that your
paper will be removed from the proceedings of the conference if you do
not take this step and we, as workshop organizers, don't have any
means to fix that for you.

==Program==
We traditionally had 5-6 invited talks (45-min each) in Wiki Workshop
along with a Featured and Lightning Talk session by the authors of the
accepted papers followed by a poster session. The duration of the
workshop in the old set-up was 8 hours.

We have no doubt that our traditional model for the program has to
change for this year. We know that the dynamics of engagement in the
virtual set-ups are different from the in-person set-ups. Here is what
we're thinking about the high-level format, the details to be
announced as we finalize the program in the coming few weeks:
* Ice-breaker: unchanged.
* Introductions: some way of making sure every person knows at least a
few other of the participants. (We can do 15-sec intros if we have 10s
of attendees, but we can't scale that if we have many more.)
* Keynote plus Q&A
* A conversation: an interview style back-and-forth between two people
with room for questions at the end.
* A conversation: a panel style of conversation. we have a couple of
topics in mind for the panel and are sorting out details.
* Featured Talks and Lightning Talks: 10-min or 3-min presentations by
the authors of the accepted papers. This is unchanged from last year,
except that after this session we would go to a poster session and
this year we are working on a topic-based virtual poster session. The
authors will receive more information about this.
* The virtual poster session
* Wrap-up
* One on one meetings: This is new for this year. We will be offering
the participants the option to sign up for short one on one virtual
meetings with a selected subset of Wikimedia researchers and volunteer
editors for more in-depth conversations.

Please expect more updates in the coming weeks on this thread. If you
have questions, please send them to us via
[hidden email] or you can comment on this thread.

We wish you, your family, and your friends health.

Best,
Leila, on behalf of Wiki Workshop organizers [2]

[0] https://www2020.thewebconf.org/
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_Video_Communications
[2] https://wikiworkshop.org/2020/#organization

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 7:13 PM Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We are delighted to announce that Wiki Workshop 2020 will be held in
> Taipei on April 20 or 21, 2020 (the date to be finalized soon) and as
> part of the Web Conference 2020 [1]. In the past years, Wiki Workshop
> has traveled to Oxford, Montreal, Cologne, Perth, Lyon, and San
> Francisco.
>
> You can read more about the call for papers and the workshops at
> http://wikiworkshop.org/2020/#call. Please note that the deadline for
> the submissions to be considered for proceedings is January 17. All
> other submissions should be received by February 21.
>
> If you have questions about the workshop, please let us know on this
> list or at [hidden email].
>
> Looking forward to seeing you in Taipei.
>
> Best,
> Miriam Redi, Wikimedia Foundation
> Bob West, EPFL
> Leila Zia, Wikimedia Foundation
>
> [1] https://www2020.thewebconf.org/

Re: [Analytics] Wiki Workshop 2020 Announcement and Call for Papers

Pine W
Hi Leila,

Thank you for the updates. I have one small question. Will the
sessions which are available on Zoom also be recorded for later
viewing? On occasion, I watch or share presentations after they have
occurred.

Pine

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 9:43 PM Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > part of the Web Conference 2020 [1]. In the past years, Wiki Workshop
> > has traveled to Oxford, Montreal, Cologne, Perth, Lyon, and San
> > Francisco.
> >
> > You can read more about the call for papers and the workshops at
> > http://wikiworkshop.org/2020/#call. Please note that the deadline for
> > the submissions to be considered for proceedings is January 17. All
> > other submissions should be received by February 21.
> >
> > If you have questions about the workshop, please let us know on this
> > list or at [hidden email].
> >
> > Looking forward to seeing you in Taipei.
> >
> > Best,
> > Miriam Redi, Wikimedia Foundation
> > Bob West, EPFL
> > Leila Zia, Wikimedia Foundation
> >
> > [1] https://www2020.thewebconf.org/

Re: [Analytics] Wiki Workshop 2020 Announcement and Call for Papers

Hi Pine,

We're considering the options and going through the pros and cons of
it. One consideration is that folks whose native language is not
English or don't consider themselves proficient in the language may
feel less comfortable to talk if the session is recorded. We will get
back to you all with the decision in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Leila

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 10:45 AM Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > part of the Web Conference 2020 [1]. In the past years, Wiki Workshop
> > > has traveled to Oxford, Montreal, Cologne, Perth, Lyon, and San
> > > Francisco.
> > >
> > > You can read more about the call for papers and the workshops at
> > > http://wikiworkshop.org/2020/#call. Please note that the deadline for
> > > the submissions to be considered for proceedings is January 17. All
> > > other submissions should be received by February 21.
> > >
> > > If you have questions about the workshop, please let us know on this
> > > list or at [hidden email].
> > >
> > > Looking forward to seeing you in Taipei.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Miriam Redi, Wikimedia Foundation
> > > Bob West, EPFL
> > > Leila Zia, Wikimedia Foundation
> > >
> > > [1] https://www2020.thewebconf.org/

Re: Wiki Workshop 2020 Announcement and Call for Papers

I hope you are all doing well and staying healthy.

A few updates (including registration information) about Wiki Workshop 2020:

* Wiki Workshop 2020 will take place on April 21, 5:00-10:00 PST
(13:00-18:00 UTC).

* We are planning an optional 80-min event after the completion of the
workshop. More information about this once we publish the full
schedule on 2020-03-31.

* We currently have a cap of 300 people for folks to participate in
the workshop. If you know you want to participate, please register
sooner rather than later. We are still iterating over the "streaming"
idea. More updates on that in the coming weeks.

* If you like to participate in the workshop, please submit your
registration request via
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe2ctfYVIokWYsvUfxcdF-FNwrymgzpNZLh25EhU8JbvKp1tA/viewform
.

Best,
Leila, on behalf of Wiki Workshop 2020 organizers

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 2:42 PM Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > part of the Web Conference 2020 [1]. In the past years, Wiki Workshop
> > has traveled to Oxford, Montreal, Cologne, Perth, Lyon, and San
> > Francisco.
> >
> > You can read more about the call for papers and the workshops at
> > http://wikiworkshop.org/2020/#call. Please note that the deadline for
> > the submissions to be considered for proceedings is January 17. All
> > other submissions should be received by February 21.
> >
> > If you have questions about the workshop, please let us know on this
> > list or at [hidden email].
> >
> > Looking forward to seeing you in Taipei.
> >
> > Best,
> > Miriam Redi, Wikimedia Foundation
> > Bob West, EPFL
> > Leila Zia, Wikimedia Foundation
> >
> > [1] https://www2020.thewebconf.org/

Re: [Analytics] Wiki Workshop 2020 Announcement and Call for Papers

We are now less than 3 days away from Wiki Workshop 2020 (April 21,
11:45-18:00 UTC, 4:45-11:00 PST) and more than 170 people have registered
to attend. This is your final reminder: If you like to participate in the
event and you haven't submitted your registration request, yet, please do
so in the next 24 hours via
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe2ctfYVIokWYsvUfxcdF-FNwrymgzpNZLh25EhU8JbvKp1tA/viewform
.
After that we will only process the requests if we have time to do so as
our priority will switch to address any last minute needs for the event. :)

Thanks and looking forward to seeing those of you who will attend. :)

Leila