Wiki conferences this August, and logos (fwd msg)

Wiki conferences this August, and logos (fwd msg)

metasj
[resending to foundation-l]

August seems to be "Wiki conference month"  this year : WikiSym is
moved back to Aug 21-23 (in Odense), and both Dutch Wikimedians (ca.
August 20) and Chinese Wikimedians (August 27-29) are arranging
August meetups around Wikimania.  I like the familiar look of the
Chinese page... ;-)  but there are logo / name issues involved.

How should such events be named?  The Dutch event gets "Wikimedia
Conference" in there.  'Wikimania' is a nice nickname for the global
conference; it might be useful if it were unique.  But it would also
be nice to have a way of indicating solidarity among other related
events.   (For geeks in the US, think 'Foo Camp' vs. 'Bar Camp')

http://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/WCN
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:2006%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%B6%AD%E5%9F%BA%E5%B9%B4%E6%9C%83/en

Below is an email sent by Siriudie from Chinese Wikipedia to the
foundation, asking whether they could use a derivative of the
foundation logo for their satellite event... which raises the
question: what do we want to do for Wikimania proper?  Does it make
sense to have a separate icon for Wikimania, in addition to the
(unaltered) Wikimedia logo?  There was a recent suggestion that we use
a version of Ben Yates' swoosh logo for Wikimania:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_ideas/Cafe_Press#Print-On-Demand_or_not.3F

Regards,
   SJ

On 3/13/06, [hidden email]

> From: Wikimedia Foundation <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:35:44 +0000
> Subject: Re: [Ticket#2006031310004535] Request for grant of the logo.
> Dear Siriudie,
>
> Thank you for your mail.
>
> I forward it to wikimania mailing list, because I am not entirely sure what
> you mean by Chinese Wikimania 2006. They will certainly be able to help you.
>
> Greetings
> Anthere
>
> Siriudie <[hidden email]> écrit:
>
> > Dear Sir,
> >
> > I am a wikipedian from China. And "Chinese Wikimania 2006" is now under
> > preparation. So, I modify the logo of WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION for the logo for
> > "Chinese Wikimania 2006".Someone tell me that I should be authorized by
> > WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION before we use it, so that I'm writing to request for
> > grant.
> >
> > Yours Sincerely.
> >
> > *Siriudie*
> >

> Yours sincerely,
>
> Florence Devouard
>
> --
> Wikimedia Foundation
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: Wiki conferences this August, and logos (fwd msg)

Dariusz Siedlecki
On 3/16/06, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [resending to foundation-l]
>
> August seems to be "Wiki conference month"  this year : WikiSym is
> moved back to Aug 21-23 (in Odense), and both Dutch Wikimedians (ca.
> August 20) and Chinese Wikimedians (August 27-29) are arranging
> August meetups around Wikimania.  I like the familiar look of the
> Chinese page... ;-)  but there are logo / name issues involved.

The Polish Wikimedia Meetup will take place on August 30 - May 2, AFAIR.

We (the Polish chapter) are wrapping up everything right now, I'll
send further info to the list in a few days.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Dariusz "Datrio" Siedlecki

Re: Wiki conferences this August, and logos (fwd msg)

daniwo59

In a message dated 3/19/2006 12:11:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

The  Polish Wikimedia Meetup will take place on August 30 - May 2,  AFAIR.

Thats a long meetup

Re: Wiki conferences this August, and logos (fwd msg)

Delphine Ménard
On 3/19/06, Dariusz Siedlecki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Polish Wikimedia Meetup will take place on August 30 - May 2, AFAIR.

Wow, a meeting that lasts 9 months?

/me supposes you meant April 30-May 2

;-)

Delphine
--
~notafish

On 3/19/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 3/19/06, Dariusz Siedlecki <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The Polish Wikimedia Meetup will take place on August 30 - May 2, AFAIR.
>

> Wow, a meeting that lasts 9 months?
>
> /me supposes you meant April 30-May 2

April, August, same thing, starts with an 'A'.

Oh look! Their last letters look almost the same, too!

On 3/19/06, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sweet :-)  Let me know how we can coordinate w/ Wikimania.

I'm not sure we really can ;).  Well, this will be a pretty... "Free"
conference. There's no attendance fee, anyone can come and leave
whenever they want...  I'll catch you on IRC, so we can talk more
about it.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Dariusz "Datrio" Siedlecki

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, [hidden email] wrote:

> In a message dated 3/19/2006 12:11:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>
> The  Polish Wikimedia Meetup will take place on August 30 - May 2,  AFAIR.
>
> Thats a long meetup

There are some tough naming disputes to settle...   --SJ

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Dariusz Siedlecki wrote:

> I'm not sure we really can ;).  Well, this will be a pretty... "Free"
> conference. There's no attendance fee, anyone can come and leave
> whenever they want...  I'll catch you on IRC, so we can talk more
> about it.

Ahh, cool.  (I thought this was something else, at the end of August :)

--SJ