Wiki name change

neith12
Hello all,

I recently discovered another wiki with the exact same name as mine. To
avoid confusion (and potential trademark issues), I would like to change the
name of my wiki. Is it possible to do this without re-installing everything?

I have read the FAQ, but couldn't find any information on this. I'd
appreciate any help.

thanks,
Anna

Re: Wiki name change

Brion Vibber
neith12 wrote:
> I recently discovered another wiki with the exact same name as mine. To
> avoid confusion (and potential trademark issues), I would like to change the
> name of my wiki. Is it possible to do this without re-installing everything?
>
> I have read the FAQ, but couldn't find any information on this. I'd
> appreciate any help.

The essential thing is:
1) Edit LocalSettings.php and change the $wgSitename setting.

You may also wish to:
2) run maintenance/rebuildMessages.php --update
to re-source localized messages. Shouldn't be strictly required with current
versions of MediaWiki, but some older versions hardcoded information into the
wiki at install time.

3) Run maintenance/namespaceDupes.php --fix
in case your new name produced any namespace conflicts which could make existing
pages inaccessible.

4) Run maintenance/refreshLinks.php to update link tables.

5) Check Special:Allmessages and Special:Allpages for pages which might need to
be moved and links that need to be fixed.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Wiki name change

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
> The essential thing is:

I've added a note to the FAQ's talk page.  Hopefully someone can help
give it a home.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:FAQ#How_do_I_rename_my_wiki.3F