Quantcast

Wiki (not) Mania?

Gordon Joly

Is it proper and correct to use the term "mania"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania

Would we say "WikiMad" or WikiCrazy"?

Gordo

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Pierre-Selim
I'm not specially shocked. In France we have a video game retail company called Micromania (based on microcomputer and mania), who targeted video game player (I don't think the name of the company is confused by anyone as a medical condition or an insult).

Long time ago I heard a good joke about the naming of the conference: it should be called the Wikimedia Conference and what is call now the Wikimedia Conference should probably be called Wikimania

Is it proper and correct to use the term "mania"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania

Would we say "WikiMad" or WikiCrazy"?

Gordo

Pierre-Selim

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Stephan Schulz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymological_fallacy

> On 03 Nov 2016, at 13:52, Pierre-Selim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm not specially shocked. In France we have a video game retail company called Micromania (based on microcomputer and mania), who targeted video game player (I don't think the name of the company is confused by anyone as a medical condition or an insult).
>
> Long time ago I heard a good joke about the naming of the conference: it should be called the Wikimedia Conference and what is call now the Wikimedia Conference should probably be called Wikimania

> Is it proper and correct to use the term "mania"?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania
>
> Would we say "WikiMad" or WikiCrazy"?
>
> Gordo

> Pierre-Selim

------------------------------ It can be done! ---------------------------------
          Please email me as [hidden email] (Stephan Schulz)

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Stuart Prior
"Mania" is not a word where the meaning has completely changed, and is still evidently used in current psychiatry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania#References

A prescriptivist view of the word would be deciding what it doesn't mean, as much as what it does.
Gordo is rightly pointing out that nowadays it just has more meanings, and has stigmatising qualities like the words "lame", "retard" etc. And we should think about that as a movement that tries to be inclusive.

Personally I've always thought that Wikimania needed a name change (Wikimedia Conference needs a name change too). WikiGlobal? WikiSummit? WikiFest?

On 3 November 2016 at 12:54, Stephan Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymological_fallacy

> On 03 Nov 2016, at 13:52, Pierre-Selim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm not specially shocked. In France we have a video game retail company called Micromania (based on microcomputer and mania), who targeted video game player (I don't think the name of the company is confused by anyone as a medical condition or an insult).
>
> Long time ago I heard a good joke about the naming of the conference: it should be called the Wikimedia Conference and what is call now the Wikimedia Conference should probably be called Wikimania

> Is it proper and correct to use the term "mania"?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania
>
> Would we say "WikiMad" or WikiCrazy"?
>
> Gordo

> Pierre-Selim

------------------------------ It can be done! ---------------------------------
          Please email me as [hidden email] (Stephan Schulz)

Stuart Prior
Project Coordinator
Wikimedia UK
+44 20 7065 0990

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Chris Keating-2
Well, the idea of "-mania" meaning "collective outpouring of enthusiasm" rather than "mental illness" dates to at least the 1960s with Beatlemania, even if the original use of the formulation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisztomania - was intended to have clinical meaning.

I am unaware of any actual objections to this usage from, for instance, psychiatrists or mental health organisations.

Chris

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Stuart Prior <[hidden email]> wrote:
"Mania" is not a word where the meaning has completely changed, and is still evidently used in current psychiatry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania#References

A prescriptivist view of the word would be deciding what it doesn't mean, as much as what it does.
Gordo is rightly pointing out that nowadays it just has more meanings, and has stigmatising qualities like the words "lame", "retard" etc. And we should think about that as a movement that tries to be inclusive.

Personally I've always thought that Wikimania needed a name change (Wikimedia Conference needs a name change too). WikiGlobal? WikiSummit? WikiFest?

On 3 November 2016 at 12:54, Stephan Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymological_fallacy

> On 03 Nov 2016, at 13:52, Pierre-Selim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm not specially shocked. In France we have a video game retail company called Micromania (based on microcomputer and mania), who targeted video game player (I don't think the name of the company is confused by anyone as a medical condition or an insult).
>
> Long time ago I heard a good joke about the naming of the conference: it should be called the Wikimedia Conference and what is call now the Wikimedia Conference should probably be called Wikimania

> Is it proper and correct to use the term "mania"?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania
>
> Would we say "WikiMad" or WikiCrazy"?
>
> Gordo

> Pierre-Selim

------------------------------ It can be done! ---------------------------------
          Please email me as [hidden email] (Stephan Schulz)

Stuart Prior
Project Coordinator
Wikimedia UK

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Andrew Lih-2
I don’t have a personal problem with Wikimania as a name, but there are some liabilities:

1. It isn’t terribly descriptive of the event we hold, as it is a pretty standard conference with session proposals, meetings and training. Occasionally, it will go “mania” with some more innovative and offbeat ideas.

2. On first glance, the name isn’t very professional sounding. So it may be hard to convince one’s boss or academic head to fund travel or time off to attend the premier conference for the Wikimedia community.

In the US, we’ve gone with “Wikiconference” as the name for the national/regional gathering.

-Andrew

-Andrew Lih
Associate professor of journalism, American University
Email: [hidden email]
WEB: http://www.andrewlih.com
BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: http://www.wikipediarevolution.com
PROJECT: Wiki Makes Video http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Wiki_Makes_Video

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is it proper and correct to use the term "mania"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania

Would we say "WikiMad" or WikiCrazy"?

Gordo

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Luca Martinelli

Sorry for my bluntness, but... are we REALLY having this conversation? We're about to question our annual summit's name after 12 editions? Is it really a problem?

L.

Il 03 nov 2016 14:29, "Chris Keating" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Well, the idea of "-mania" meaning "collective outpouring of enthusiasm" rather than "mental illness" dates to at least the 1960s with Beatlemania, even if the original use of the formulation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisztomania - was intended to have clinical meaning.

I am unaware of any actual objections to this usage from, for instance, psychiatrists or mental health organisations.

Chris

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Stuart Prior <[hidden email]> wrote:
"Mania" is not a word where the meaning has completely changed, and is still evidently used in current psychiatry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania#References

A prescriptivist view of the word would be deciding what it doesn't mean, as much as what it does.
Gordo is rightly pointing out that nowadays it just has more meanings, and has stigmatising qualities like the words "lame", "retard" etc. And we should think about that as a movement that tries to be inclusive.

Personally I've always thought that Wikimania needed a name change (Wikimedia Conference needs a name change too). WikiGlobal? WikiSummit? WikiFest?

On 3 November 2016 at 12:54, Stephan Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymological_fallacy

> On 03 Nov 2016, at 13:52, Pierre-Selim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm not specially shocked. In France we have a video game retail company called Micromania (based on microcomputer and mania), who targeted video game player (I don't think the name of the company is confused by anyone as a medical condition or an insult).
>
> Long time ago I heard a good joke about the naming of the conference: it should be called the Wikimedia Conference and what is call now the Wikimedia Conference should probably be called Wikimania

> Is it proper and correct to use the term "mania"?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mania
>
> Would we say "WikiMad" or WikiCrazy"?
>
> Gordo

> Pierre-Selim

------------------------------ It can be done! ---------------------------------
          Please email me as [hidden email] (Stephan Schulz)

Stuart Prior
Project Coordinator
Wikimedia UK

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Lodewijk
I think we haven't had this discussion for at least five years, so I guess it's fine to have it again. I don't feel a particular need to change either, but there's no other way to find out if many people do feel such need, than to have this discussion. I'm fine with people putting arguments together in a constructive fashion like this, and then after that, seeing whether there's a widely shared sentiment to change, based on that.

Lodewijk

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Luca Martinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry for my bluntness, but... are we REALLY having this conversation? We're about to question our annual summit's name after 12 editions? Is it really a problem?

1. This isn’t a high traffic list.
2. You won’t know until you ask.
3. It’s good to be self-aware.

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

WereSpielChequers-2
A few years ago I worked for a multinational European company that decided to rebrand itself and get one company name that was equally inoffensive across Europe. After paying a brand naming company to look at the business and find a name that worked across all European languages we duly started the rebranding. Then one of the programmers went on this newfangled internet thingy and found that the domain had already been snaffled by a site that gave information about how to grow marijuana.

Moral of the story, getting a name that makes sense or at least isn't wildly inappropriate in multiple languages is a non trivial matter, and the more languages you have to worry about the more difficult it is. We have been focussed on English but Wikimania is a global event so any rebrand has to work on all languages.

Happy to change my mind if ISIS rebrands itself as WKImania or some country elects Ms Wickinamia as head of state.

Regards

WereSpielChequers

On 03/11/16 15:13, Luca Martinelli wrote:
> Sorry for my bluntness, but... are we REALLY having this conversation?
> We're about to question our annual summit's name after 12 editions? Is
> it really a problem?

Yes.

I was prompted to make my plea, which I had tentatively made in the past
few weeks, after hearing a radio programme about the terms used to
describe (the symptoms of) mental ill health.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b080t8nq

***
How often do you use words like mad, crazy and schizophrenic in every
day conversation? What impact does this have on people with mental
health problems? To discuss this we brought together Niall Boyce, the
Editor of the Lancet Psychiatry, linguist Dr Zsofia Demjen, and Clive
Buckenham, an ambassador for Time to Change.
***

Another term that is also misused is "schizophrenic" (not a split
personality, but a serious mental illness). Which by a similar logic is
OK since it has been used a very large number of times in conversation?

OCD is also used incorrectly.

Wikimania correctly concerns itself with the diversity of participants.
Sexual orientation, gender, physical disability and mental illness and
more. My assertion is that we should change the name, even if is it just
a minority who feel that is not correct and proper (in the year 2016).
Many terms used in the past are now not considered appropriate.

Gordo

P.S. I was at Frankfurt, for the first Wikimania Conference.

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Gordon Joly
On 03/11/16 12:54, Stephan Schulz wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymological_fallacy

http://www.biopsychinstitute.com/psychiatric-disorders/mania

Gordo

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Ivan Martínez
Wikimania is a name that does not make any sense for Spanish speaking languages. In Mexico we have notice about use of the word maybe for Wrestlemania recent popularity, but is not a usual call "mania" as US or Europe an event or whatever.

Best,

El viernes, 4 de noviembre de 2016, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> escribió:
On 03/11/16 12:54, Stephan Schulz wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymological_fallacy

http://www.biopsychinstitute.com/psychiatric-disorders/mania

Gordo

Enviado desde un dispositivo móvil

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Luca Martinelli

Il 04 nov 2016 21:29, "Gordon Joly" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> On 03/11/16 15:13, Luca Martinelli wrote:
> > Sorry for my bluntness, but... are we REALLY having this conversation?
> > We're about to question our annual summit's name after 12 editions? Is
> > it really a problem?
>

> Yes.
>
> I was prompted to make my plea, which I had tentatively made in the past
> few weeks, after hearing a radio programme about the terms used to
> describe (the symptoms of) mental ill health.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b080t8nq
>
> ***
> How often do you use words like mad, crazy and schizophrenic in every
> day conversation? What impact does this have on people with mental
> health problems? To discuss this we brought together Niall Boyce, the
> Editor of the Lancet Psychiatry, linguist Dr Zsofia Demjen, and Clive
> Buckenham, an ambassador for Time to Change.
> ***
>
> Another term that is also misused is "schizophrenic" (not a split
> personality, but a serious mental illness). Which by a similar logic is
> OK since it has been used a very large number of times in conversation?
>
> OCD is also used incorrectly.
>
> Wikimania correctly concerns itself with the diversity of participants.
> Sexual orientation, gender, physical disability and mental illness and
> more. My assertion is that we should change the name, even if is it just
> a minority who feel that is not correct and proper (in the year 2016).
> Many terms used in the past are now not considered appropriate.
>
> Gordo
>
> P.S. I was at Frankfurt, for the first Wikimania Conference.

I respectfully disagree. The "-mania" suffix is used in tons of non-medical situations to describe a frenzy, a buzz about something, it's a well established metaphor. Think of "Beatlesmania": nobody will think of it as a *real* disease, though some old-fashioned columnist would have thought it to be so.

I'll give you another example: a famous journalist, back in the days, wrote an op-ed to criticize football fans, comparing their "mania" to typhoid fever. Guess what term we use to describe football fans in Italy? "Tifosi", which can be loosely translated as "sick from typhus". Everybody uses that word, virtually nobody knows the backstory - but AFAIK nobody underestimated the threat of endemic illnesses in Italy because of that.

I get your point in being respectful towards people who suffer of diseases, but my humble opinion is that this discussion won't conclude anything, and on a lesser level that there is no compelling reason why we should change. Thus, my disillusioned mail.

L.

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Luca Martinelli

Il 04 nov 2016 22:20, "Luca Martinelli" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> I'll give you another example: a famous journalist, back in the days, wrote an op-ed to criticize football fans, comparing their "mania" to typhoid fever.

Of course it was an ITALIAN journalist, I forgot to mention that, sorry.

L.

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Nkansah Rexford
Just did a quick google search for the word 'Mania'. The definition I got is interesting.

I think with such a definition, it is REALLY worth it having a conversation relating to the name.

Wiki-mental-illness? Like seriously? All these years? For someone like myself who the word 'mania' never crossed the mind to find the meaning, the term 'Wikimania' didn't mean anything except a conference for Wikimedians around the world in general.

But looking up the word paints a whole new picture. Like seriously?

Mania: "mental illness marked by periods of great excitement, euphoria, delusions, and overactivity."

Woow.

On Thursday, November 3, 2016, Luca Martinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> Gordo

> Pierre-Selim

------------------------------ It can be done! ---------------------------------
          Please email me as [hidden email] (Stephan Schulz)

Stuart Prior
Project Coordinator
Wikimedia UK

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Daniel Kinzler-2
Am 04.11.2016 um 22:34 schrieb Nkansah Rexford:
> Mania: "mental illness marked by periods of great excitement, euphoria,
> delusions, and overactivity."

Second meaning: "extreme enthusiasm for something that is usually shared by many
people". -- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mania

Sounds about right to me...

--
Daniel Kinzler
Senior Software Developer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Nicholas Michael Bashour
From Wikipedia article about Beatlemania:

"The use of the word mania to describe fandom pre-dates the Beatles by more than 100 years. Beginning in 1841, fans of Hungarian pianist and composer Franz Liszt showed a level of fanaticism similar to the Beatles. Poet Heinrich Heine coined the word "Lisztomania" to describe this...The term later became the name of various tribute bands dedicated to singing the songs of the Beatles, many with impersonators of the group.[19][20] The term has had a number of derivatives with the suffix "mania", usually short-lived, to describe a similar phenomenon toward other bands, such as "Rollermania"[21] in the early 1970s for the Scottish band Bay City Rollers, "Menudomanía" in the 1980s to describe frenzy across Latin America for the boyband Menudo, "Spicemania" in the 1990s[22][23] for the Spice Girls and "Jedwardmania" in the 2010s for Jedward. More recently, the "mania" suffix is often placed at the end of sports figures' names when they acquire sudden popularity, such as Hulkamania during the professional wrestling career of Hulk Hogan, or "Tebowmania" for football player Tim Tebow in 2011. It is also used to describe the following of other public figures, such as politician Jeremy Corbyn - Corbynmania - at the height of his popularity, as well as actor Leonardo DiCaprio - Leomania - in the period following his breakthrough performance in the hit film Titanic.[24]"

Am 04.11.2016 um 22:34 schrieb Nkansah Rexford:
> Mania: "mental illness marked by periods of great excitement, euphoria,
> delusions, and overactivity."

Second meaning: "extreme enthusiasm for something that is usually shared by many
people". -- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mania

Sounds about right to me...

--
Daniel Kinzler
Senior Software Developer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Asaf Bartov-2
A word on process:

quite apart from the fact we've had this conversation before (it's fine to have it again, as Lodewijk says), what bothers me is that there is *no clear way it could have a result*.  There is no identified group or person empowered with deciding on a name change, so however persuasive your arguments might be, on either side, this conversation is doomed to end the way all the others had: with zero change.

It seems to me that the only way the name would ever change is if some year's *hosting team* were to decide to change it.  They would be able to de-facto determine the name of the conference and literally effect it, in branding, merchandise, etc.  It follows that if you want change, you should focus on advocating to the Montreal team, or to a future year's team, once determined.

    A.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:40 PM Nicholas Michael Bashour <[hidden email]> wrote:
From Wikipedia article about Beatlemania:

"The use of the word mania to describe fandom pre-dates the Beatles by more than 100 years. Beginning in 1841, fans of Hungarian pianist and composer Franz Liszt showed a level of fanaticism similar to the Beatles. Poet Heinrich Heine coined the word "Lisztomania" to describe this...The term later became the name of various tribute bands dedicated to singing the songs of the Beatles, many with impersonators of the group.[19][20] The term has had a number of derivatives with the suffix "mania", usually short-lived, to describe a similar phenomenon toward other bands, such as "Rollermania"[21] in the early 1970s for the Scottish band Bay City Rollers, "Menudomanía" in the 1980s to describe frenzy across Latin America for the boyband Menudo, "Spicemania" in the 1990s[22][23] for the Spice Girls and "Jedwardmania" in the 2010s for Jedward. More recently, the "mania" suffix is often placed at the end of sports figures' names when they acquire sudden popularity, such as Hulkamania during the professional wrestling career of Hulk Hogan, or "Tebowmania" for football player Tim Tebow in 2011. It is also used to describe the following of other public figures, such as politician Jeremy Corbyn - Corbynmania - at the height of his popularity, as well as actor Leonardo DiCaprio - Leomania - in the period following his breakthrough performance in the hit film Titanic.[24]"

Am 04.11.2016 um 22:34 schrieb Nkansah Rexford:
> Mania: "mental illness marked by periods of great excitement, euphoria,
> delusions, and overactivity."

Second meaning: "extreme enthusiasm for something that is usually shared by many
people". -- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mania

Sounds about right to me...

--
Daniel Kinzler
Senior Software Developer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Michael Peel-2
There is now the Wikimania Committee:
Perhaps a decision/formal consultation on a name change could come from them, if they feel it's appropriate?

Personally, I've always been a bit uneasy with '-mania' for the reasons that Gordon identified - plus getting academics to take you seriously when you're saying you'll be attending a conference called 'Wikimania' is always a bit tricky (first there's the 'wiki' part, then the 'mania' part, then there's both combined!). So I think it's worth rethinking the name at some point.

BTW, "periods of great excitement, euphoria, delusions, and overactivity" probably describes quite a few Wikimedians!

Thanks,
Mike

On 4 Nov 2016, at 20:37, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From Wikipedia article about Beatlemania: