Wiki (not) Mania?

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Gnangarra
Not trying to diminish the value of any project nor prevent cross connections between the communities, I just thinking of alternative ways to grow every project and to value each ones unique identity

I see Wikidata growing as force of its own and some ways over shadowing Wikipedia and attracting a whole different set of contributor, audience and end users. From my experience with WikiData Tour Downunder we did see a different group of interested parties in the project and its potential.

By individualising project focus events we would create new opportunities and help further strengthen those communities, and yes these would still run multiple sessions including coverage of other projects. They would also be able to refine the scholarships to ensure that better outcomes could be achieved

On 8 November 2016 at 15:16, Andrew Lih <[hidden email]> wrote:
GN,

While I understand where you are coming from (ie. Wikipedia as the more recognizable name to the public) it would seem to be a poor time to portray the gathering as just Wikipedia-centric, especially with the rise of Wikidata as a major force in more things we are doing, such as Wikimedia Commons.

The best solution may be somewhere in the middle, where conference adopts a subtitle that includes “Wikipedia” prominently, in order to make it more SEO friendly.

-Andrew

-Andrew Lih
Associate professor of journalism, American University
Email: [hidden email]
WEB: http://www.andrewlih.com
BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: http://www.wikipediarevolution.com
PROJECT: Wiki Makes Video http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Wiki_Makes_Video

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 7:07 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
To quote C. Scott Ananian
I have no idea how to concisely include all the "Wikimedia projects" and still mention "Wikipedia" in the title... which suggests perhaps that Ed's version ("Wikimania: the global wikipedia summit") or whatever subtitle Lodewijk used isn't too far off.

maybe we are missing the target altogether, Wikipedia is our most identifiable brand, its what started the whole game and every other project in someway supports it. The bulk of all talks at Wikimanias are focused on Wikipedia activity.  It could it be that when talk about reducing the size of Wikimania we could look in an alternative direction and focus on individual projects, the hack-a-thon has become a separate identity already, wikisource has held it own. This isnt saying that the conference wouldnt cover or cater for other projects as it already does but it would give us something broader to sell to the sponsors, venues etc by calling it the Wikipedia Conference it could then focus on the 300 languages, the work in the incubator, it would also create a greater immediate impact externally and encourage more people to come learn more and get involved, it'd be sellable to GLAM and media alike... Every one would have the ability to focus on the local language as a key platform

The Wikimedia Conference could then remain maybe even be expanded to enable more attendees focused as it already is on the movement

A Commons conference would be media based looking more at copyright, personality rights even equipment which would open us to whole new world of sponsors  Imagine the people who could be a Key note speaker at a Commons conference that would otherwise bore the pants off every other attendee at a Wikimania.

each and every conference would run at its own rate annually, bi-annually, even one in four years choose locations that suit its own aims with scholarships for those that the community would really benefit from attending

Every conference would have cross over streams as no one project is isolated from any other, it would expand the focus and diverisfy the funding/sponsorship opportunities while addressing some of the key issues about the size of Wikimania, the way some sections of the community are lost and allow greater return on the brand identities of each project.

On 8 November 2016 at 07:04, C. Scott Ananian <[hidden email]> wrote:
Again, "Wiki" means "wikileaks" to many folks these days.  "Wikiconference" isn't enough to distinguish wikipedia from wikileaks.   And there are plenty of examples of wiki software other than mediawiki...

If we're going to change the name (or add an official subtitle), IMNSHO "Wikipedia" needs to be somewhere in there, spelled out in full.  That's what we're most known for.
  --scott

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 4:23 PM, olatunde olalekan isaac <[hidden email]> wrote:
Perhaps something like "WikiConference 2017".

Best,

Isaac

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Olatunde Isaac, 07/11/2016 21:47:
Thus, it would be more appropriate to use a title known to the general public.

Like... a title that contains "wiki" plus some other catchy suffix? ;-)

Nemo

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Gordon Joly
On 07/11/16 14:04, Edward Saperia wrote:
> Agree with Andrew - when I was organising it in 2014 I usually called it
> "The Global Wikipedia Summit" because Wikimania doesn't sound important.

Not quite a catchy?

:-)

Gordo

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Pine W
I still think this topic would benefit from input on branding from WMF Communications; perhaps Samantha could be a resource since Zach seems to be unavailable?

Also, hopefully Ellie can incorporate this branding issue into her discussion of Wikimania strategy with other folks at WMF.

Pine

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/11/16 14:04, Edward Saperia wrote:
> Agree with Andrew - when I was organising it in 2014 I usually called it
> "The Global Wikipedia Summit" because Wikimania doesn't sound important.

Not quite a catchy?

:-)

Gordo

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Joseph Fox
Gentle reminder that tomorrow is a public holiday in the United States. The majority of the Foundation will not be working.

Joe

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 at 00:13 Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
I still think this topic would benefit from input on branding from WMF Communications; perhaps Samantha could be a resource since Zach seems to be unavailable?

Also, hopefully Ellie can incorporate this branding issue into her discussion of Wikimania strategy with other folks at WMF.

Pine

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/11/16 14:04, Edward Saperia wrote:
> Agree with Andrew - when I was organising it in 2014 I usually called it
> "The Global Wikipedia Summit" because Wikimania doesn't sound important.

Not quite a catchy?

:-)

Gordo

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Pine W
Argh, thanks. I forgot about that. (I live in the states I will be working tomorrow.)

Pine

On 08/11/16 06:59, Hélène Pedrosa-Masson wrote:
> As for the name, "Wikimania" doesn't seem offensive to me, but English
> is not my maternal language (French is). Perhaps it isn't descriptive
> enough for outsiders, but do we really want a lot of non-wikimedians at
> Wikimania? I presume this will be one of the questions that are to be
> discussed concerning Wikimania's future and goals.

Yes, if the conference was a group of bipolar types, they could call it
"Flip Flop Mania" or "Up Down Mania"....

This is all about the name. Nothing to do with the conference aims and
content and spirit (I have also been to two Wikimanias).

Gordo

cs

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

cs

Salut Hélène,

Je pense que l'idée c'est que tout comme Wikipedia est l'encyclopédie que n'importe qui peut éditer, tout le monde est bienvenu à Wikimania.
En 2014, je me suis occupé du stand d'exposition WMUK dans le hall de la Barbican à Londres toute la semaine, et j'ai été ravi de parler de Wikipédia, Wikimedia, notre travail et nos espoirs et nos rêves à des dizaines de «non-wikimédians» qui sont venu et qui ensuite sont parti voulant contribuer . Il y avait aussi des nombreux francophones. J’ai assisté à plusieurs Wikimanias.

I think the idea is that just as Wikipedia is the encyclopedia anyone can edit, anyone is welcome to come to Wikimania.
In 2014 I looked after the WMUK stall in the lobby at the Barbican in London and I was thrilled to talk about Wikipedia, Wikimedia, our work and hopes and dreams to dozens of 'non-wikimedians' who came and then went away wanting to contribute. There were plenty of French speakers among them too.
I’ve been to several Wikimanias.

Kudpung

On 07/11/16 14:50, Lodewijk wrote:
> The question would also be:
> - is this a significant problem

Yes, I still think this is an issue, since it shows a lack of clarity
and correctness in the use of a term in the English language. Below is
another example of where a term in the field of mental illness is not
well understood, in this case by Piers Morgan.

Guardian, Thursday 15 December 2016 12.53 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/15/piers-morgan-ptsd-lady-gaga-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-soldiers

https://v.gd/9zNPFF

**********quote

Lady Gaga has told how she was raped at the age of 19 by a man 20 years
her senior. “I suffer from PTSD,” she said in a Today show interview on
the US network NBC. “I’ve never told anyone that before.” On Saturday,
on Twitter, Piers Morgan tweeted a CNN piece headlined “Lady Gaga: ‘I
have PTSD’” with his response: “No, soldiers returning from battlefields
do. Enough of this vain-glorious nonsense.” He followed this with
another tweet to his 5.3 million followers – “I come from a big military
family. It angers me when celebrities start claiming ‘PTSD’ about
everything to promote themselves”....

Gordo

Re: Wiki (not) Mania?

Gnangarra
English as a language isnt bound by right and wrong. the language, the meanings. words evolve English absorbs and adapts from other languages., even within English speakers there are differences in meaning, uses and spellings.

The other issue is one that will never be perfect for all case that is in the translation between languages that is because the structures of languages differ, the way in which words are built differ.  We have about 300 active language projects not every language has a direct translation for "mania"  or even a single word that would describe the intent of "mania" in its current context which is a gathering, a conference, a corroboree   in the end its not what the parts of the word mean its how we as a community chose to define what the whole of Wikimania means.