Wiki-wide Password?

Robert Fischer
What would be the easiest way to implement a wiki-wide password like
pbWiki has?

https://coworking.pbwiki.com/FrontPage?login=1

--

Robert Fischer
IT Firefighter

jdd

Re: Wiki-wide Password?

jdd
Robert Fischer wrote:
> What would be the easiest way to implement a wiki-wide password like
> pbWiki has?
>
> https://coworking.pbwiki.com/FrontPage?login=1

use .htaccess?

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://gourmandises.orangeblog.fr/

Write Permission Limitations [was Re: Wiki-wide Password?]

Robert Fischer
I suppose I should back up and explain what functionality I really need.

I'd like the wiki to be world-readable, but I need to limit who can edit
pages.  This is a blanket statement: only very certain users should be
able to do any editing at all.

Robert Fischer
IT Firefighter
Smokejumper Consulting

jdd wrote:

> Robert Fischer wrote:
>
>> What would be the easiest way to implement a wiki-wide password like
>> pbWiki has?
>>
>> https://coworking.pbwiki.com/FrontPage?login=1
>>

> use .htaccess?
>
> jdd

Re: Write Permission Limitations [was Re: Wiki-widePassword?]

Dave Sigafoos
Since it sound like you *know* who will be editing, the easiest way to
do this is set the wiki to read only without account

In localsettings.php set this.  If not already there copy over from
defaultsettings.php

$wgGroupPermissions ['*']['edit']=false

Then you create user login for those who can edit.

If you need login abilities to everyone then you could change the level
that gets to edit .. again using $wgGroupPermissions

DSig
David Tod Sigafoos | SANMAR Corporation
PICK Guy
206-770-5585
[hidden email]

jdd wrote:

> Robert Fischer wrote:
>
>> What would be the easiest way to implement a wiki-wide password like
>> pbWiki has?
>>
>> https://coworking.pbwiki.com/FrontPage?login=1
>>

> use .htaccess?
>
> jdd

Re: Write Permission Limitations [was Re: Wiki-widePassword?]

Robert Fischer
Thank you very much!

Robert Fischer
IT Firefighter
Smokejumper Consulting

Dave Sigafoos wrote:

> Since it sound like you *know* who will be editing, the easiest way to
> do this is set the wiki to read only without account
>
> In localsettings.php set this.  If not already there copy over from
> defaultsettings.php
>
> $wgGroupPermissions ['*']['edit']=false
>
> Then you create user login for those who can edit.
>
> If you need login abilities to everyone then you could change the level
> that gets to edit .. again using $wgGroupPermissions
>
> DSig
> David Tod Sigafoos | SANMAR Corporation
> PICK Guy
> 206-770-5585
> [hidden email]

Platonides
Robert Fischer wrote:

> Thank you very much!
>
> Robert Fischer
> IT Firefighter
> Smokejumper Consulting
>

> Dave Sigafoos wrote:
>> Since it sound like you *know* who will be editing, the easiest way to
>> do this is set the wiki to read only without account
>>
>> In localsettings.php set this.  If not already there copy over from
>> defaultsettings.php
>>
>> $wgGroupPermissions ['*']['edit']=false
>>
>> Then you create user login for those who can edit.

You also need to set $wgGroupPermissions ['*']['create']=false so
anonymous users can't create an account for themselves an account and
start editing.
Sysops will be able to create accounts for others.