WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

Tinu Cherian ( Wikimedia India)

Hi all,

Greetings from Wikimedia India.

In 2011, WikiConference India was held for the first time and turned out to be a landmark event.
It was the largest Wikipedia conference in the world, ever held to date!

Last year, the Mumbai Community led the way, playing host and inviting the rest of India to Mumbai, something that has had a match-stick impact on the Wikimedia movement growth nationwide.

The time has come for us to now think of WikiConference India 2012. Several communities from different parts of the country have evinced interest in hosting the conference this year.

We would like to invite for a Bootstrap team for aiding WikiConference India 2012.

It will be three member team which will also work in coordination with Executive Committee of Wikimedia India Chapter. One of the team members will be playing a lead role.

The role of team is to work with the chapter members and the larger community
* to discuss, invite framework & process for the WikiConference 2012
* to actively consult and take feedback from the different stakeholders.
* to call for and set up jury members for the selection of the city.
* To invite and facilitate the bidding process and guidelines.

We request the volunteers who are interested to send an email expressing your interest @ [hidden email] as early as possible.

Thanks,

Tinu Cherian
Head of Communications,
Wikimedia India Chapter

Re: WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

Srikanth Lakshmanan

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 06:32, Tinu Cherian ( Wikimedia India) <[hidden email]> wrote:

In 2011, WikiConference India was held for the first time and turned out to be a landmark event.
It was the largest Wikipedia conference in the world, ever held to date!

Can we keep niceties aside and look at how the event was run / challenges faced by organizers (Includes chapter-OC coordination and a semi-public spat) and do a thorough discussion on the conference list before talking of any next steps for WCI 2012. Also there has been no report that has been made available public for the community. It is for the community's own good health, issues are ironed out even before there is *any* discussion on next WCI. It might be good for the chapter / IP to keep having a conference every year and showcase India story, but volunteers(including the "bootstrap team") who are interested in organizing must know what are the pain points in making a conference happen and the kind of support they would be getting from chapter / IP.

Pranav / Pradeep,
Can we have your conference OC report any sooner?

--
Regards
Srikanth.L

Re: WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

Bala Jeyaraman
Tinu,

Yes, WCI 1 has had a positive impact on the communities. But any call for WCI 2 is premature without thoroughly analysing WCI 1. We had a lot of short comings in the planning, organising and conduction of the event. Without doing some thorough analysis of what went wrong, what could have been done better and what should be avoided in the future.

Lets please have a report and analyse how things could have been done better before we start talking about the next event. The first event was possible because of full time organisors and people pitching in because of the "have to make the first indian event a success" factor.  I dont think that would happen next time. (I know i wont volunteer again unless things change a lot).

So lets have the WCI i report published and analysed here before we start thinking about WCI 2.

-
Bala

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Srikanth Lakshmanan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Pradeep Mohandas

Hi,

Both of us have submitted parts of the Report to WMF. We're working on a combined Report that will be made public.

Pradeep
Handheld

On Mar 26, 2012 9:39 AM, "Bala Jeyaraman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
It has been 5 months since the event.
Not just the report, nothing else, the promised footage, details, nothing hs been made public.
As Bala said, (I know i wont volunteer again unless things change a lot).
I agree. Participants maybe deterred by the sheer amount of effort required to get something on such a scale up and running.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Pradeep Mohandas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

wheredevelsdare
1. Report - Pradeep has covered that. Lets not link this to wci 12.
2. Video - We got the dvds in Jan but had some trouble converting/uploading to Youtube, we are working on this and hope to close this asap.

Re: WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

Aditya Sengupta

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 14:53, <[hidden email]> wrote:
1. Report - Pradeep has covered that. Lets not link this to wci 12.

Or perhaps there could be a rain check on WCI-12 till the report is out?

So that whoever is working on WCI-12 can learn from past mistakes? And get stuff correct right at the conception stage?

Re: WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

Mandar Kulkarni-2
Apart from the formal report, we still have not received the VDOs which were been promised in Nov. and nobody in the mailing list is commenting on that. Who owns that responsibility? If no body can take the ownership of that, why you cannot declare that we will not publish the VDOs or those will not be made available ever.

There are many such open points/pain area which needs to be taken care in the next conference.

With Regards,

Mandar V. Kulkarni

Re: WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

CherianTinu Abraham
Hi Mandar,
              I guess you are referring to the Videos of the 2011 Conference.
It was answered earlier in this thread earlier  http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2012-March/007738.html

Btw I am not sure if all bold & large fonts are considered the same way as all capital letters. :)

-TC

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Mandar Kulkarni <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apart from the formal report, we still have not received the VDOs which were been promised in Nov. and nobody in the mailing list is commenting on that. Who owns that responsibility? If no body can take the ownership of that, why you cannot declare that we will not publish the VDOs or those will not be made available ever.

There are many such open points/pain area which needs to be taken care in the next conference.

With Regards,

Mandar V. Kulkarni

Re: WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Tinu, whether the videos and reports are out or not, the fact of the
matter is that not many of those who didn't attend last time know what
happened and this may result in noone volunteering.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

Pradeep Mohandas
We have informed the list about the report as well as the video situation. Was anything else promised, please elaborate?

To expand on the point of the Report. I have been having internet problems which have prevented working together on this report. We're hence having to work on the report turn by turn hence increasing the time needed to finish it. We hope to wrap things up by the end of this month.

Also, to place on record, my eagerness to finish this report and move on from Wikimedia to other things. I will remain till I place the Report in public and answer any questions that may arise thereof.

Regards,
Pradeep

How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Re: WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

CherianTinu Abraham
I didn't know the passion for continued volunteering for the Wikimedia movement was dependent on the availability of the videos of the WikiConference :P ( We should definitely add that as one of the key expectations for next Conference)

The fact that those who didn't attend last time was their own personal choice again. No one can predict they will attend next Conference , not even all those who attended the conference last year.

BTW Personally I would love to see the videos soon. I couldn't attend all the sessions :D

-TC

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tinu, whether the videos and reports are out or not, the fact of the
matter is that not many of those who didn't attend last time know what
happened and this may result in noone volunteering.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

Ashwin Baindur
Dear Tinu,

Please let us know which communities are willing to host. Why should it remain a secret?

Ashwin

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 7:46 AM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
I didn't know the passion for continued volunteering for the Wikimedia movement was dependent on the availability of the videos of the WikiConference :P ( We should definitely add that as one of the key expectations for next Conference)

The fact that those who didn't attend last time was their own personal choice again. No one can predict they will attend next Conference , not even all those who attended the conference last year.

BTW Personally I would love to see the videos soon. I couldn't attend all the sessions :D

-TC

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tinu, whether the videos and reports are out or not, the fact of the
matter is that not many of those who didn't attend last time know what
happened and this may result in noone volunteering.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

Re: WikiConference India 2012 - Bootstrap Team

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
I didn't know the passion for continued volunteering for the Wikimedia movement was dependent on the availability of the videos of the WikiConference :P ( We should definitely add that as one of the key expectations for next Conference)

Well Tinu, us non attendees, would like to see WHAT HAPPENED last time, so that if we are part of the next team, we'd know what we have to do.

And yes, I ask the same Question as Ashwin, which communities are involved?