WikiCurriculum -- clarifications and responses to early questions.

WikiCurriculum -- clarifications and responses to early questions.

moostro
Here are a few clarifications and responses to early questions regarding the
WikiCurriculum project:

There have been a few discussions along the lines of "doesn't this fit into
WikiBooks or WikiUniversity, or a semantic enhancement thereof".  While I
have tried to discuss the differences within the project proposal, perhaps a
few more words should be said about the differences.

The primary difference is that the WikiCurriculum project has semantic
information at its heart, and the needs of (U.S.) school districts as its
motivation.   While WikiBooks might attempt to write textbooks to address
standards (such as the A-level math textbooks already there), and
WikiUniversity (and the community college project) might come up with
curricula, the WikiCurriculum project would specifically contain the
information necessary to ensure the mathematical and pedagogical soundness
of textbooks and curricula in general (at least in 9-12 math).

In this way, the WikiCurriculum project could in fact facilitate the
creation of courses and textbooks, both by other Wiki projects, as well as
school districts (from which I have already heard a bit of interest).

The WikiCurriculum project would be designed with state and national
standards in mind.  I have in mind the NCTM national standards, as well as
California and Massachusetts state standards.  I am only mentioning U.S.
standards, simply because these are the standards with which I have
familiarity.  I am also mentioning the states CA and MA, because I have some
familiarity with those state standards, and I also have contacts in
mathematics and math education in those states.  Of course, I believe that
international standards should be addressed as well, eventually.

If anyone can think of a more apt name for the project, I would be
interested in hearing it.  I certainly don't intend WikiCurriculum to be a
"curriculum upload" site.

I am very interested in more feedback - please continue to post, either on
the foundation list, or the WikiCurriculum talk site.

Thank you very much,

Marty Weissman

Re: WikiCurriculum -- clarifications and responses to early questions.

Casey Brown-3
A project that is that close to the scopes of Wikiveristy and Wikibooks,
probably wouldn't get created anytime too soon.  (Some believe that they
will probably only get created roughly yearly, and most people wouldn't
support that the yearly choice would be something similar to an existing
project.)  Furthermore, it looks like this proposal is focused on the United
States, Wikimedia projects should have scopes extending from just America
into other countries as well.  But please keep in mind that this need not be
a *Wikimedia* project, their are many other wiki-sites available like Wikia
and Edithis.

On 9/1/07, Martin Weissman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here are a few clarifications and responses to early questions regarding
> the
> WikiCurriculum project:
>
> There have been a few discussions along the lines of "doesn't this fit
> into
> WikiBooks or WikiUniversity, or a semantic enhancement thereof".  While I
> have tried to discuss the differences within the project proposal, perhaps
> few more words should be said about the differences.
>
> The primary difference is that the WikiCurriculum project has semantic
> information at its heart, and the needs of (U.S.) school districts as its
> motivation.   While WikiBooks might attempt to write textbooks to address
> standards (such as the A-level math textbooks already there), and
> WikiUniversity (and the community college project) might come up with
> curricula, the WikiCurriculum project would specifically contain the
> information necessary to ensure the mathematical and pedagogical soundness
> of textbooks and curricula in general (at least in 9-12 math).
>
> In this way, the WikiCurriculum project could in fact facilitate the
> creation of courses and textbooks, both by other Wiki projects, as well as
> school districts (from which I have already heard a bit of interest).
>
> The WikiCurriculum project would be designed with state and national
> standards in mind.  I have in mind the NCTM national standards, as well as
> California and Massachusetts state standards.  I am only mentioning U.S.
> standards, simply because these are the standards with which I have
> familiarity.  I am also mentioning the states CA and MA, because I have
> some
> familiarity with those state standards, and I also have contacts in
> mathematics and math education in those states.  Of course, I believe that
> international standards should be addressed as well, eventually.
>
> If anyone can think of a more apt name for the project, I would be
> interested in hearing it.  I certainly don't intend WikiCurriculum to be a
> "curriculum upload" site.
>
> I am very interested in more feedback - please continue to post, either on
> the foundation list, or the WikiCurriculum talk site.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Marty Weissman

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: WikiCurriculum -- clarifications and responses to early questions.

Cormac Lawler
On 9/2/07, Martin Weissman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here are a few clarifications and responses to early questions regarding the
> WikiCurriculum project:
>
> There have been a few discussions along the lines of "doesn't this fit into
> WikiBooks or WikiUniversity, or a semantic enhancement thereof".  While I
> have tried to discuss the differences within the project proposal, perhaps a
> few more words should be said about the differences.
>
> The primary difference is that the WikiCurriculum project has semantic
> information at its heart, and the needs of (U.S.) school districts as its
> motivation.   While WikiBooks might attempt to write textbooks to address
> standards (such as the A-level math textbooks already there), and
> WikiUniversity (and the community college project) might come up with
> curricula, the WikiCurriculum project would specifically contain the
> information necessary to ensure the mathematical and pedagogical soundness
> of textbooks and curricula in general (at least in 9-12 math).
[snip]

Thanks Marty,

I still don't understand why this project couldn't fit into a semantic
extension of Wikiversity. I agree that this project could be a driver
for content and activity on Wikiversity and Wikibooks in particular -
and if it could be operated from within one of them, then so much the
better. Wikiversity and Wikibooks are still trying to find ways to
interoperate - I don't see the value (for now) of creating a further
distinctive project, but prefer to enhance what we already have.
Wikiversity was set up in quite an experimental context - and we still
need to explore how it can be made more useful - including the
development and use of technical extensions. I think this is one solid
project which could further that agenda.

Cheers,

Cormac

Re: WikiCurriculum -- clarifications and responses to early questions.

Ray Saintonge
Martin Weissman wrote:
> There have been a few discussions along the lines of "doesn't this fit into
> WikiBooks or WikiUniversity, or a semantic enhancement thereof".  While I
> have tried to discuss the differences within the project proposal, perhaps a
> few more words should be said about the differences.

I agree with Cormac that this falls wholly within the mandate of
Wikiversity.  This direction would have been more appreciated at an
earlier stage.
> The primary difference is that the WikiCurriculum project has semantic
> information at its heart, and the needs of (U.S.) school districts as its
> motivation.   While WikiBooks might attempt to write textbooks to address
> standards (such as the A-level math textbooks already there), and
> WikiUniversity (and the community college project) might come up with
> curricula, the WikiCurriculum project would specifically contain the
> information necessary to ensure the mathematical and pedagogical soundness
> of textbooks and curricula in general (at least in 9-12 math).

I support the focus on 9-12 math; that clearly emphasizes the importance
of of accomplishing specific goals instead of having a lot of random
material.

I puzzled over the phrase "pedagogical soundness of textbooks".  I see
textbooks as tools to be used by the instructors who would be the ones
responsible for the soundness of the pedagogy.  I would even be inclined
to challenge the traditional concept of textbook in favour of more
modular materials that are more amenable to local needs.

> In this way, the WikiCurriculum project could in fact facilitate the
> creation of courses and textbooks, both by other Wiki projects, as well as
> school districts (from which I have already heard a bit of interest).
>
> The WikiCurriculum project would be designed with state and national
> standards in mind.  I have in mind the NCTM national standards, as well as
> California and Massachusetts state standards.  I am only mentioning U.S.
> standards, simply because these are the standards with which I have
> familiarity.  I am also mentioning the states CA and MA, because I have some
> familiarity with those state standards, and I also have contacts in
> mathematics and math education in those states.  Of course, I believe that
> international standards should be addressed as well, eventually.

International standards can be addressed right from the beginning. Many
of the detailed standards are already on line, or am I inferring too
much from what happens here in British Columbia.  See
http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/irp_math.htm for what's available for
mathematics.  Note in particular the "Prescribed learning outcomes" in
each package.

Ec