WikiDashboard down - anyone knows how to contact people at PARC who developed it?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WikiDashboard down - anyone knows how to contact people at PARC who developed it?

Piotr Konieczny-2

For the last week or so I am getting the following error when trying to use the  http://wikidashboard.appspot.com/ tool: "403: User account expired. The page you requested is hosted by the Toolserver user wiki_researcher, whose account has expired. Toolserver user accounts are automatically expired if the user is inactive for over six months. To prevent stale pages remaining accessible, we automatically block requests to expired content. If you think you are receiving this page in error, or you have a question, please contact the owner of this document: wiki_researcher [at] toolserver [dot] org. (Please do not contact Toolserver administrators about this problem, as we cannot fix it—only the Toolserver account owner may renew their account.)"

I've tried contacting the owner, and send an email to PARC (it's their project, per the logo seen at the project page ) through their web form, but so far - nothing. Can anyone help to contact them?

The tool is useful not only for research (I've used and I am sure so have others here); it is also one of the tools used by Good Article reviewers (and linked from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Good_article_tools)

Why we allow toolserver tools used by the community to expire in such a confusing way is beyond me.
-- 
Piotr Konieczny, PhD
http://hanyang.academia.edu/PiotrKonieczny
http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=gdV8_AEAAAAJ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Piotrus

_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
fn
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WikiDashboard down - anyone knows how to contact people at PARC who developed it?

fn
The article behind WikiDashboard is this one:

Lifting the veil: Improving accountability and social transparency in
Wikipedia with WikiDashboard by Bongwon Suh, Ed H. Chi, Aniket Kittur,
Bryan A. Pendleton.

Suh, Chi andn Kittur are no longer at Park as far as I see. I can't see
Suh's email. Chi's is here: chi [at] acm.org. He is also active on
Google Plus.

See also http://neuro.imm.dtu.dk/wiki/Bongwon_Suh
http://neuro.imm.dtu.dk/wiki/Ed_H._Chi

/Finn


On 06/14/2013 01:53 PM, Piotr Konieczny wrote:

> For the last week or so I am getting the following error when trying to
> use the http://wikidashboard.appspot.com/ tool: "403: User account
> expired. The page you requested is hosted by the Toolserver user
> wiki_researcher, whose account has expired. Toolserver user accounts are
> automatically expired if the user is inactive for over six months. To
> prevent stale pages remaining accessible, we automatically block
> requests to expired content. If you think you are receiving this page in
> error, or you have a question, please contact the owner of this
> document: wiki_researcher [at] toolserver [dot] org. (Please do not
> contact Toolserver administrators about this problem, as we cannot fix
> it—only the Toolserver account owner may renew their account.)"
>
> I've tried contacting the owner, and send an email to PARC
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PARC_%28company%29> (it's their project,
> per the logo seen at the project page ) through their web form, but so
> far - nothing. Can anyone help to contact them?
>
> The tool is useful not only for research (I've used and I am sure so
> have others here); it is also one of the tools used by Good Article
> reviewers (and linked from
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Good_article_tools)
>
> Why we allow toolserver tools used by the community to expire in such a
> confusing way is beyond me.
>
> --
> Piotr Konieczny, PhD
> http://hanyang.academia.edu/PiotrKonieczny
> http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=gdV8_AEAAAAJ
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Piotrus
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>


_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WikiDashboard down - anyone knows how to contact people at PARC who developed it?

Sumana Harihareswara-2
I see that I still get that same error when I try to use the tool, e.g.,
http://wikidashboard.appspot.com/enwiki/wiki/Bargain . Piotr, were you
able to get in contact with the author? If so, you might just ask for
the source code and then ask on the labs-l list to see whether anyone
would be willing to move it from Toolserver to Tool Labs:
http://tools.wmflabs.org/

All tools on Tool Labs must be open source
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Tools/Help#Rules_of_use to
help prevent this kind of difficulty.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager
Wikimedia Foundation


On 06/14/2013 08:47 AM, Finn �rup Nielsen wrote:

> The article behind WikiDashboard is this one:
>
> Lifting the veil: Improving accountability and social transparency in
> Wikipedia with WikiDashboard by Bongwon Suh, Ed H. Chi, Aniket Kittur,
> Bryan A. Pendleton.
>
> Suh, Chi andn Kittur are no longer at Park as far as I see. I can't see
> Suh's email. Chi's is here: chi [at] acm.org. He is also active on
> Google Plus.
>
> See also http://neuro.imm.dtu.dk/wiki/Bongwon_Suh
> http://neuro.imm.dtu.dk/wiki/Ed_H._Chi
>
> /Finn
>
>
> On 06/14/2013 01:53 PM, Piotr Konieczny wrote:
>> For the last week or so I am getting the following error when trying to
>> use the http://wikidashboard.appspot.com/ tool: "403: User account
>> expired. The page you requested is hosted by the Toolserver user
>> wiki_researcher, whose account has expired. Toolserver user accounts are
>> automatically expired if the user is inactive for over six months. To
>> prevent stale pages remaining accessible, we automatically block
>> requests to expired content. If you think you are receiving this page in
>> error, or you have a question, please contact the owner of this
>> document: wiki_researcher [at] toolserver [dot] org. (Please do not
>> contact Toolserver administrators about this problem, as we cannot fix
>> itonly the Toolserver account owner may renew their account.)"
>>
>> I've tried contacting the owner, and send an email to PARC
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PARC_%28company%29> (it's their project,
>> per the logo seen at the project page ) through their web form, but so
>> far - nothing. Can anyone help to contact them?
>>
>> The tool is useful not only for research (I've used and I am sure so
>> have others here); it is also one of the tools used by Good Article
>> reviewers (and linked from
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Good_article_tools)
>>
>> Why we allow toolserver tools used by the community to expire in such a
>> confusing way is beyond me.
>>
>> --
>> Piotr Konieczny, PhD
>> http://hanyang.academia.edu/PiotrKonieczny
>> http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=gdV8_AEAAAAJ
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Piotrus
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wiki-research-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l

_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WikiDashboard down - anyone knows how to contact people at PARC who developed it?

Piotr Konieczny-2
Sumana,

I did get in touch with Ed Chi ([hidden email]) who was able to activate it again (or told me that Bongwon Suh [hidden email] would take care of it), through it appears this didn't last long. I recommend you contact Ed and Bongwon (I'll cc them here), hopefully they will get the ball rolling again and make this project permanently open and active at the Labs. I found the Dashboard a very useful tool (through it could certainly be refined, I never figured out how to get raw data behind the graphs, which would have been very nice...).

Sumana, sorry for the late reply, I only just noticed this email (seems it got routed to my newsgroup folder which I don't check regularly). I looked into this again because of this on wiki message: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Piotrus#wikidashboard:_403:_User_account_expired

Cheers,

--
Piotr Konieczny, PhD
http://hanyang.academia.edu/PiotrKonieczny
http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=gdV8_AEAAAAJ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Piotrus
On 9/19/2013 4:51 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
I see that I still get that same error when I try to use the tool, e.g.,
http://wikidashboard.appspot.com/enwiki/wiki/Bargain . Piotr, were you
able to get in contact with the author? If so, you might just ask for
the source code and then ask on the labs-l list to see whether anyone
would be willing to move it from Toolserver to Tool Labs:
http://tools.wmflabs.org/

All tools on Tool Labs must be open source
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Tools/Help#Rules_of_use to
help prevent this kind of difficulty.



_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l