[WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

[WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Roberto Alfonso
Funny, in a tragic way: http://www.thagodz.com/search/wiki/Wikipedia

Regards,
RB

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Thomas Dalton
"Thagodz Wiki is a multilingual, Web-based, free-content encyclopedia
project. The name is a portmanteau of the words wiki and
encyclopedia."

Brilliant... just pure genius... putting "wiki" and "encyclopedia"
together and getting "Thagodz Wiki" - just how do they do it?

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

SPUI
Roberto Alfonso wrote:
> Funny, in a tragic way: http://www.thagodz.com/search/wiki/Wikipedia

http://www.askfactmaster.com/Twiki (not remote loading) is still funnier.

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

MacGyverMagic/Mgm
Stupid leechers. We should sue them for not complying with the GFDL.

Mgm

> "Thagodz Wiki is a multilingual, Web-based, free-content encyclopedia
> project. The name is a portmanteau of the words wiki and
> encyclopedia."
>
> Brilliant... just pure genius... putting "wiki" and "encyclopedia"
> together and getting "Thagodz Wiki" - just how do they do it?

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

David Gerard-2
On 27/01/07, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stupid leechers. We should sue them for not complying with the GFDL.

I suppose the Jason Scott solution is unlikely to pass Foundation
muster. It'd work, though.

- d.

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Jeremy Cushman-2
> Stupid leechers. We should sue them for not complying with the GFDL.
>
> Mgm

"Thagodz WikiR is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.,
a US-registered 501(c)(3) tax-deductible nonprofit charity."
They should really fix that.
--Mets501

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Stephen Bain
On 1/28/07, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stupid leechers. We should sue them for not complying with the GFDL.

Easier just to block access from their IP. They can waste all the
money they like setting up sites to leech with.

--
Stephen Bain

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Roberto Alfonso
And don't forget to check their "donations" link in the navigation box.

RB

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Dan Collins-2
Can we make them stop?

--
ST47
Editor, en.wikipedia

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Oskar Sigvardsson
On 1/27/07, Dan Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can we make them stop?

If they follow the GFDL, then no. If they don't (which it appears that
they don't, since they don't credit us; the history link doesn't
work), we could sue, but really, do we even care that much?

--Oskar

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Rob Church
On 27/01/07, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:15:01 +0100
> From: "Oskar Sigvardsson" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading
> If they follow the GFDL, then no. If they don't (which it appears that
> they don't, since they don't credit us; the history link doesn't
> work), we could sue, but really, do we even care that much?

If it's remote loading, as in, pulling content from our servers live,
then we *can* stop it, and such mirrors should be reported to us on
IRC in #wikimedia-tech (on Freenode, as usual) or else reported to our
mailing list at [hidden email].

Remote loading is not helpful for us; it creates a small amount of
additional, illegitimate load on our cache servers and it facilitates
illegal, but quite often, remote loading sites won't really care about
the GFDL and it becomes so.

Legitimate mirrors and people who want to reuse our content are free,
and encouraged, to download a database dump and process it for their
needs. There is also an OAI live repository service, which I think we
charge for (and I don't know how many parties actually use it).

If the licence our content is released under is violated, then
individual contributors to that content have a right to sue for
copyright infringement; Wikimedia doesn't actually *have* the
copyright and so may not be able to do the actual litigation (but I'm
not a lawyer, hate lawyers, and am not completely sure of that).

Rob Church

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Jeremy Cushman-2
> If it's remote loading, as in, pulling content from our servers live, then
we *can* stop it, and such mirrors should be reported to us on IRC in
#wikimedia-tech (on Freenode, as usual) or else reported to our mailing list
at [hidden email].

> Remote loading is not helpful for us; it creates a small amount of
additional, illegitimate load on our cache servers and it facilitates
but quite often, remote loading sites won't really care about the GFDL and
it becomes so.

> Legitimate mirrors and people who want to reuse our content are free, and
encouraged, to download a database dump and process it for their needs.
There is also an OAI live repository service, which I think we charge for
(and I don't know how many parties actually use it).

> If the licence our content is released under is violated, then individual
contributors to that content have a right to sue for copyright infringement;
Wikimedia doesn't actually *have* the copyright and so may not be able to do
the actual litigation (but I'm not a lawyer, hate lawyers, and am not
completely sure of that).

> Rob Church

I emailed [hidden email] (which they say is their contact address) and
asked how they get the content.
--Mets501

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Roberto Alfonso
It is remote loading. Just check your userpage at Thagodz.com, then modify it in
Wikipedia, and do a full refresh at Thagodz.com again. At least when I tried
(maybe 20 hours ago, at the same time I reported them at the tech IRC channel)
they were doing so.

RB

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Jeremy Cushman-2
OK.  Well, I emailed already asking them to switch to a database dump and
described how to download one; let's see what they have to say about it.
--Mets501

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

William Pietri
Rob Church wrote:
> Legitimate mirrors and people who want to reuse our content are free,
> and encouraged, to download a database dump and process it for their
> needs.

Say, are there examples of people who do this well, contributing back to
Wikipedia or to the general public? The examples I've seen are all a bit
disappointing, but perhaps that's just because the outrageous ones
generate more attention.

Thanks,

William

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Earle Martin
On 27/01/07, SPUI <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.askfactmaster.com/Twiki (not remote loading) is still funnier.

Or indeed: http://www.askfactmaster.com/Portland_Pattern_Repository

"The name Ward's AskFactMaster.Com (or, in camel case,
WardsAskFactMaster.Com) is also used"

--
Earle Martin
            http://downlode.org/

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Jeremy Cushman-2
> > Legitimate mirrors and people who want to reuse our content are free,
> > and encouraged, to download a database dump and process it for their
> > needs.

> Say, are there examples of people who do this well, contributing back to
> Wikipedia or to the general public? The examples I've seen are all a bit
> disappointing, but perhaps that's just because the outrageous ones
> generate more attention.

Yes, several sites do this quite well. See for example
http://www.answers.com.
--Mets501

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Daniel R. Tobias
On 28 Jan 2007 at 13:45, "Earle Martin" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 27/01/07, SPUI <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > http://www.askfactmaster.com/Twiki (not remote loading) is still funnier.
>
> Or indeed: http://www.askfactmaster.com/Portland_Pattern_Repository
>
> "The name Ward's AskFactMaster.Com (or, in camel case,
> WardsAskFactMaster.Com) is also used"

Plus, it "is sometimes referred to simply as AskFactMaster.Com (with
a capital 'W')", and "[o]ther names have been suggested to try to
avoid ambiguity with the generic concept of a AskFactMaster.Com".

I guess by their own admission, AskFactMaster.Com is generic and
can't be trademarked.

--
== Dan ==

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

· Firefoxman
http://www.thagodz.com/search/wiki/?title=Wikipedia&x=25&y=17 no longer
works, looks like they were blocked or they are getting a dump. Speaking of
dumps, the latest <http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiki/20070124/> one seems
to be taking forever.

On 1/28/07, Daniel R. Tobias <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2007 at 13:45, "Earle Martin" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 27/01/07, SPUI <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > http://www.askfactmaster.com/Twiki (not remote loading) is still
> funnier.
> >
> > Or indeed: http://www.askfactmaster.com/Portland_Pattern_Repository
> >
> > "The name Ward's AskFactMaster.Com (or, in camel case,
> > WardsAskFactMaster.Com) is also used"
>
> Plus, it "is sometimes referred to simply as AskFactMaster.Com (with
> a capital 'W')", and "[o]ther names have been suggested to try to
> avoid ambiguity with the generic concept of a AskFactMaster.Com".
>
> I guess by their own admission, AskFactMaster.Com is generic and
> can't be trademarked.
>

> --
> == Dan ==
> Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
> Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
> Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/

-Firefoxman

Re: [WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Andrew Gray
On 28/01/07, William Pietri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Rob Church wrote:
> > Legitimate mirrors and people who want to reuse our content are free,
> > and encouraged, to download a database dump and process it for their
> > needs.
>
> Say, are there examples of people who do this well, contributing back to
> Wikipedia or to the general public? The examples I've seen are all a bit
> disappointing, but perhaps that's just because the outrageous ones
> generate more attention.

answers.com is perhaps our most high-profile reuser, but we have an
agreement with them for a live feed. I'm not offhand aware of a
particularly shining example of a database-dump site, partly because
we tend to outstrip them quite fast (and because enwiki dumps were
iffy for quite a while, meaning most of them are long-stagnant)

There are certainly some decent offline projects using dumps, though,
in one form or another.

--
- Andrew Gray